Traded Picks 2, 20, 72 for Dom Tyson, Picks 9 and 53

Remove this Banner Ad

Pick 2 (yes I understand there is a pick exchange as well) for a player that was pick 3 himself and hasn't been impressie nor reached the heights of his draft year since. Huge risk.

And before I get jumped on, I live in Regional NSW so see all of the Giants' games and I hope for the Dees sake, they get it right- I'm just heavily sceptical.

well he wasnt cleanly swapped for pick 2 so... youre wrong

:rolleyes:

From the football I have seen Tyson play at both under 18 level and 12 of the 13 games he has played at the Giants- he is not worth a drop in picks from 2 to 9. While I understand Melbourne apparently have a player in mind that they are confident with at 9, I don't rate Tyson highly. However, I hope he proves me wrong.

From the football I have seen Tyson play at both under 18 level and 12 of the 13 games he has played at the Giants- he is not worth a drop in picks from 2 to 9. While I understand Melbourne apparently have a player in mind that they are confident with at 9, I don't rate Tyson highly. However, I hope he proves me wrong.
oh you dont rate the player? he may as well quit now

Tyson has shown glimpses of what he's capable of plus his injuries haven't been career threatening. He'll be able to do a full pre-season so there's no concerns.

He is also exactly what we need and GWS have a surplus of his type (however if they lose both Shiel and Adams as well in the next two years that will hurt)

Did you not read my post at all?
I did and I disagree... he doesnt have to prove anything to you...
Melbourne disagrees and thats why we did the trade, GWS wouldnt have wanted to lose him but they would have had to eventually, he came home from hawaii to sign for melb, he clearly wanted to change as well. Best for all parties, we are all sad you arent happy with it though...

Cheers for Vince though

Appreciate the insight, but I'd ask you to consider that he has never done a full pre-season, and that it is injury that has affected his ability to gather momentum. I don't think his natural ability can be questioned, but if you do, I guess we shall see how it pans out over the next few years. :thumbsu:

Appreciate the insight, but I'd ask you to consider that he has never done a full pre-season, and that it is injury that has affected his ability to gather momentum. I don't think his natural ability can be questioned, but if you do, I guess we shall see how it pans out over the next few years. :thumbsu:

Agree completely. His performances in the under 18 championship were first class, he was dominant. The lack of a full pre-season is significant and I hope he can replicate his junior form against mature bodies. it's also worth considering that he came from almost no-where the year before the draft be touted as a #1 pick so he may take time adjust to AFL level, but I truly do hope he turns it on like he can.

From a 'glass is half full' point of view.
The player the Dees want is the 'in and under' accumulator that can get the ball forward in a hurry that will be available at at pick 9 - so pick 2 is a waste for the Dees. From the Dees point of view they are getting what they want at pick 9 and therefore effectively paying pick 20 for Tyson - an out and out bargain.
Its also a big win for GWS as they have plenty of 'in and unders' and they want the type of highly skilled playmaker that you need pick 2 or thereabouts to pick up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ever noticed how it's often Bulldogs supporters that chime in with these bizarre appraisals ?
and freo of recent, but the majority are okay... Surprised not more saints are hating on us... they appear want to steal our sucky crown with the offseason

Hes not a very good player. About as good as koby stevens.

But continue living in denial.
I like Koby Stevens, pretty handy midfielder to come off the bench in support of your best guys. But Tyson is around the same height and might have more range in the air, has better skills in which being a left footer helps and has a cool calm head in close that gives him an edge. It's that class that doesn't always show up on the stat sheet that makes him valuable. We've got Jack Viney as your bulldozing clearance player like you guys have Libba. We've got Nathan Jones who will run all day and always move the ball forward and take the game on and we are finally adding some numbers and will surely develop our own into others in the midfield mix. But at worst Tyson will be as good as Stevens but on potential he could be way better. If you care to back up your statements with some stats or analysis I might listen.

Pretty strange definition of a veteran, kid is barely 20 and has played 13 games. If that's all it takes to be called a veteran then the world is indeed a strange place.

This is a fine example of a term called "taking the piss". GWS have no veterans unless they are 38, so anyone older than 20 is considered one.

Let me guess, Tyson is a bit of a spud but macrae and stringer are future stars..?

What a stupid example, of course Macrae and Stringer are future stars ;)

Tyson will be a good-great player, no doubt. He has the potential to be a gun, but it may not pan out that way. He is far from a spud though.

Huge win for both parties. Tyson is a great inside mid with good awareness in traffic and can kick goals. Melb has a 200 game player and personally would rather keep Tyson over whoever we get at 2.

I like Koby Stevens, pretty handy midfielder to come off the bench in support of your best guys. But Tyson is around the same height and might have more range in the air, has better skills in which being a left footer helps and has a cool calm head in close that gives him an edge. It's that class that doesn't always show up on the stat sheet that makes him valuable. We've got Jack Viney as your bulldozing clearance player like you guys have Libba. We've got Nathan Jones who will run all day and always move the ball forward and take the game on and we are finally adding some numbers and will surely develop our own into others in the midfield mix. But at worst Tyson will be as good as Stevens but on potential he could be way better. If you care to back up your statements with some stats or analysis I might listen.

You're going to be waiting a while, I think.

Let me guess, Tyson is a bit of a spud but macrae and stringer are future stars..?

You'd be 100% correct. ;) Our 2 top end picks have more question marks over them than our later ones from last years draft IMO. (Hrovat, Hunter)

I'm not really sold on Macrae becoming a star just yet. His game seems to have translated into AFL level pretty well though. Has been producing what he was known for at junior level. Side steps, slippery customer with good skills. He's also got a decent inside game for an 'outside' player and actually averages more contested ball than Tyson.

Tysons game just doesn't seem to have made the transition from junior level to senior very well. He lacks explosiveness + pace and has been found lacking with his contested work which is why he was so highly rated pre draft IIRC.

*Spud was probably a bit harsh. He'll be a best 22 soldier type IMO. But not worthy of a high end pick.

You'd be 100% correct. ;) Our 2 top end picks have more question marks over them than our later ones from last years draft IMO. (Hrovat, Hunter)

I'm not really sold on Macrae becoming a star just yet. His game seems to have translated into AFL level pretty well though. Has been producing what he was known for at junior level. Side steps, slippery customer with good skills. He's also got a decent inside game for an 'outside' player and actually averages more contested ball than Tyson.

Tysons game just doesn't seem to have made the transition from junior level to senior very well. He lacks explosiveness + pace and has been found lacking with his contested work which is why he was so highly rated pre draft IIRC.

*Spud was probably a bit harsh. He'll be a best 22 soldier type IMO. But not worthy of a high end pick.

I don't suppose you've noticed that there's been a bit of movement in the top end picks this year, if you have do you understand why?

The general consensus is that Aish/Kelly are the next in the draft after Boyd, previously Melbourne would just go along with the pack and choose one of them; that's worked out well for us hasn't it?

This year we've decided to take who we want, not who's on top of the BigFooty Phantom drafts.

Dom Tyson is a bonus for us, we'll get the player we want and also get a top rated junior who's been in the system for two years; what's not to like about that. We've been following the leader for too long now and that's stopped, plus I'd back Paul Roos judgement over yours, any day of the week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back