Mega Thread Port Forum 'General AFL Talk' Thread Part 20

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You would think the last couple of years would show that you actually can host Grand Finals outside of Victoria.

I truly hate how this competition is run.
Nah I'll be a spritely 95 years old in 2059 - they can schedule the grand final in Adelaide in 2060, and I'm sure I'll get a ticket.......

I said this last year and I'll say it again.

The MCC is the party that is in breach of the grubby GF contract as they are unable to stage the game at their stadium. I don't see how they are entitled to "restitution" in the form of having said contract extended.

Assuming there is no force majure clause covering this situation, which there almost certainly is.

Looks like we'll only be allowed 25k for the prelim . Hahaha what a joke .

Meanwhile Brisbane is allowing 100% capacity this week and so is WA
Marshall is demented

I'm probably stating the obvious but Marshall faces an election next March. As an incumbent in a crisis he just has to sit tight and not make major mistakes to win re-election. He'd be very risk adverse to an outbreak. Qld and WA already had their election last year.

Yep and they are a government workers. Fish rots from the head.
By definition they aren't.
They are elected representatives, not public servants.

People make the choice to have them make the decision. People make s**t decisions.

Or the G every second year and every alternate year it moved around. That would be the go I reckon.

That would be recognising that it’s a national comp. it won’t happen though.

What this has made everyone realise though is that it actually works and is fine.

It’s made everyone outside of Vic realise too how corrupt the whole show is - down to the PB’s

Whilst the actual Grand Final being held at the MCG every ******* year is really, really corrupt, especially at the uncommercial price they paid for it, it isn't even the most contemptuous facet of the disgraceful deal.

The MANDATED 10 of the top 12 highest drawing games must be played at the MCG is the most unfair, disgraceful and biased part of this deal. Why? Well look how this happens, who it benefits and why. What it means that the AFL actively promote Marquee games, all at the MCG, almost always in stand alone spots. Who benefits? Exclusively the big Melbourne teams. Its why we have ANZAC Day, Dreamtime at the G, Queens birthday "tradition", the Easter Monday Geelong/Hawthorn "Blockbuster".

The rest of these promoted "Blockbusters" are shared amongst the big 6 Vic teams depending on who's in form or they are scheduled early in the season when hope is still high. Again, who benefits? These specific teams because they get huge gate takings and huge exposure, with all the associated sponsorship and commercial benefits this brings. When did the AFL ever really promote a game, like properly promote a game that wasn't an MCG Blockbuster? I mean a Showdown hasn't ever been on a Friday night FFS.

McGuire's grubby hands are all over this deal. He's the conduit between the MCC/AFL and State Govt. Collingwood of course benefit the most from it. Have you ever thought it weird that MCGuire always barracks for Carlton, Collingwood's supposed sworn enemy? It's because he's desperate for the rivalry to get back to what it was in VFL times. It's another chance to promote Collingwood and Collingwood's preeminence and most importantly, more cash for Collingwood.

With Perth now (in Non COVID times) regularly getting 55k to their games, the bar has now been lifted, to get 10 of the highest drawing games at the MCG to fulfill their disgraceful shitty contract, their going to have to try even harder to push these MCG "Blockbuster" games.

Bias, Non Commercial, Nepotistic, Corrupt, partisan, dishonourable.

It's not just McGuire. The entire Melbourne-based AFL media have a Pavlovian to football at the MCG.

Home of Footy Mate. The People's Ground. The G. heck off. I almost find it embarrassing that any Covid report on TV always comes back to Malbun's ability to conduct football games. Such an insular naval gazing city.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"Geoffa, we aren't forcing him to do anything. The guy is a 150+ game, 2 time premiership legend of the club. He loves the place. Maybe, just maybe he was happy to stay?"

Richmond fan trying to politely explain to the Crows board that someone might actually prefer to be at Richmond than Adelaide

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Seems to be cut and dried to me. Fine at most.

I can't imagine that any ump would drop a player in it, they wouldn't want to become part of the circus.

Even incidental contact during a game can result in a suspension. This was deliberate and after the 3qt siren. Needs to be stamped out. 4 weeks, minimum.

Just imagine how much better off the comp would be if it rotated the GF between the 5 mainland states on a set cycle. It'd be massive for the game in NSW and Qld in particular.

Would also add an extra layer of intrigue and excitement for certain teams - eg, imagine the frenzy that would've gradually built for us this year if we were playing not just for a GF spot but a GF spot at an Adelaide Oval GF.

But no, instead we get endless VFL fairytales and traditional VFL clubs regularly beating interstate franchises at the MCG.

Had to seriously resist the urge to mash the HaHa emojii on posts in that Balme thread.

Given the way they made their 'scoop recruit' about one upping us - including linking this campaigner's tweet - it seems only fair that you do.

I can't imagine that any ump would drop a player in it, they wouldn't want to become part of the circus.

Even incidental contact during a game can result in a suspension. This was deliberate and after the 3qt siren. Needs to be stamped out. 4 weeks, minimum.

Correct. And note what Stevic said in subsequent questioning:

“I don’t think it’s a good look for the game.”

“I would say there’s an element of it being disrespectful.”

Goose Cooked I think.

Umpires provide evidence all the time that sinks players. They are a part of the circus by design.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back