Priority Pick And Other Assistance

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't see us getting one but we've got a stronger case than anyone in the league.

Least finals appearances in the last decade.
2nd least amount of wins over the same period.
Least amount of first round picks on our list.
Had to rebuild during compromised drafts.
Had 5 players drafted to help our rebuild leave for peanuts.
Broke.
And to top it off we're located in a market in where financial success is dependent on on-field success.

Wietering and Schache would go a long way to sureing up our list long term. Lambert back in might help us actually keep them too.

To be honest I'm not sure the AFL will ever give out another priority pick, regardless of how badly a club has been going. No harm in asking though.

How the * can Hawthorn and Geelong have so many more first round picks than us?! Pretty evident the drafting system is a failure.

Shakes your head when you read that article. We are coming from a long way back in so many areas. The league could also help out by making it a compulsory three year contract when first drafted.

There is certainly a case to be made. Every club gets a first round pick to use every year. Sometimes they get traded, but you get one every year. The fact that we might only have 2 players on our list that are first round draft picks is true reflection of our list. We've done very well to get the quality players we have from lower picks, but those guys don't have the support they should have with the better quality players from 1st round draft picks. 1st rounders aren't always going to be elite talent, but majority of the time they will at least be a best 22 type player. Considering our list turnover in the past 5 years and how young we are, the fact that we are still so depleted of top young talent is something that needs to be fixed. Sure, a priority pick isn't going to solve everything, but it is still a help.

Really hoping the academy pays dividends the next 2 drafts and we can secure local, genuine 1st round talent to our list.

It's tricky. I think it's okay for us to ask for a PP, but if we actually got one I suspect it'd put back our PR campaign to try and get some sustained, meaningful support. Although I don't really know how an end of first round pick would be perceived.

To be honest I'm not sure the AFL will ever give out another priority pick, regardless of how badly a club has been going. No harm in asking though.
The Afl will give it out but it will be in the form of FA compensation, like what they did with Melbourne. If we let Leuy go, the Afl should compensate us with pick 2.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The AFL bringing a point scoring system to value the Academy/F&S players should be expanded to players in the first 3 years of their career. With the Minimum cost being the original Draft Value. They just need to stop the bargain hunting of our former top picks. The Polec situation was unbelievable, with the Crows & Power fighting over him, and been shopped around in front of waiting media etc... But come trade time all the sudden Port didn't rate him high! we will see the same with Aish this season with clubs circling him but will under value him on trade day.

this is great news, at least it should gather some momentum.

This could be a super off season for us.
Schache, Weitering, Keays, Hipwood, Allison.
Then throw in Dixon, Carlisle and McInnes...
All for the loss of Luey and Aish. Bring on 2016 I'm over this season

Last edited:
I think we deserve a PP. We have stalled from 2010-2015 and had so many sooks leaving.

It wouldn't solve everything and who knows, we might draft another royal again :$ BUT we just need anything, ANY advantage in this gloom situation.

this is great news, at least it should gather some momentum.

This could be a super off season for us.
Schache, Weitering, Keays, Hipwood, Allison.
Then throw in Dixon, Carlisle and McInnes...
All for the loss of Luey and Aish. Bring on 2016 I'm over this season
Add in Buddy, Roughy, Selwood, Fyfe, Pendles and Danger too. :eek:

The Afl will give it out but it will be in the form of FA compensation, like what they did with Melbourne. If we let Leuy go, the Afl should compensate us with pick 2.

Sorry this is factually wrong, we were given band one compo for losing Frawley who was one of our highest paid players on a 4 year good money deal

It's then linked to the position you finish which for us was 2nd last

Remove this Banner Ad

Back