Priority Pick And Other Assistance

Remove this Banner Ad

Get a priority pick just so one more overly entitled little prick can go home to mummy. Sounds great.

Nah, get a priority pick so we can take more academy boys this year without having to go into debt with our first round pick before taking Allison next year.

Sorry this is factually wrong, we were given band one compo for losing Frawley who was one of our highest paid players on a 4 year good money deal

It's then linked to the position you finish which for us was 2nd last
So we quickly add a sneaky 500k to Leuey's contract and get a not priority pick ;)

IMO we are at least 75% chance of getting some type of compo if we don't all of a sudden win a few more games like every year. If we get compo and by some miracle its pick 2 then we are set for a decade, and Lambert coming back it will be the best off season we would have ever even surpassing last seasons effort.

According to HUN, we have asked the AFL to help rebuild our list. Perhaps the club knows we are going to lose a couple of players.

What a basket case we have become.
We were a basket case for a while ,hopefully this board is trying to sort out the mess and improve things.

So we quickly add a sneaky 500k to Leuey's contract and get a not priority pick ;)

We don't need to add anything Leuey would have been our highest paid in the last few years after Brown's back ended contract.

Sorry this is factually wrong, we were given band one compo for losing Frawley who was one of our highest paid players on a 4 year good money deal

It's then linked to the position you finish which for us was 2nd last

He wasn't one of your highest paid players in his free agency year, he must have been outside your top 25% because of his unrestricted status.

The compensation is determined by the Hawthorn offer. Most people couldn't see them offering a huge contract to potentially jepodise future contracts.

How the **** can Hawthorn and Geelong have so many more first round picks than us?! Pretty evident the drafting system is a failure.

Two factors.

1: Players leave Brisbane earlier in their careers than other teams.

2: Less football department spending, means less scouting and recruitment time and resources.

This is why the AFL needs to stand strong on academies, and get local talent to local clubs.

Come at me Eddie :eek:

He wasn't one of your highest paid players in his free agency year, he must have been outside your top 25% because of his unrestricted status.

The compensation is determined by the Hawthorn offer. Most people couldn't see them offering a huge contract to potentially jepodise future contracts.

Hawthorn did have a million or more in cap space that they had set aside in case Buddy re-signed, even factoring in future contracts.

Frawley was also ridiculously frontloaded to make the 90% and then 95% minimum cap spend figures. At the time it was good management, but two years later free agency was introduced so by the end of his contract Melbourne got screwed a little bit (though once it became obvious Frawley was going to get significant dollars and hence early compensation, I doubt they would have matched anyway).

It's been a tough 5 years as a lions supporter... not expecting anything, but if we could somehow do this to ensure a band 2 compo for Leuenberger (if he does leave) then it certainly validates asking for a priority pick.

I reckon Leuy will get a 400k contract so that might be borderline between compo band 2 and 3.

If we did end on 2 wins though, I think we'd have a chance at getting leuy compo to be band 1 otherwise we would have to be at least a small chance of getting even an end of 1st rd or a mid 2nd rd priority pick.

Hawthorn did have a million or more in cap space that they had set aside in case Buddy re-signed, even factoring in future contracts.

Frawley was also ridiculously frontloaded to make the 90% and then 95% minimum cap spend figures. At the time it was good management, but two years later free agency was introduced so by the end of his contract Melbourne got screwed a little bit (though once it became obvious Frawley was going to get significant dollars and hence early compensation, I doubt they would have matched anyway).

Thought as much, the contract being pre Free Agency and heavily Front ended.

Not sure of the actual Band figures, but I'd see Hawks offer as borderline band 1. Since Buddy leaving the Hawks havent lost anyone of note, but gained McEnvoy and Frawley on good coin. Also didnt see them jepodising another year at freeagency to gain Frawley.

They really have had great list management

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thought as much, the contract being pre Free Agency and heavily Front ended.

Not sure of the actual Band figures, but I'd see Hawks offer as borderline band 1. Since Buddy leaving the Hawks havent lost anyone of note, but gained McEnvoy and Frawley on good coin. Also didnt see them jepodising another year at freeagency to gain Frawley.

They really have had great list management

Love what they've done but not every club could pull it off. They are a great team and have consistently been playing in finals for many years, players would be crazy to not want to go there if they are wanting to leave their current club. Had some great success with their later picks which makes it even more remarkable. Can't see us as an example getting the same caliber of players they have got if we kept putting up our first pick every year.

Don't see us getting one but we've got a stronger case than anyone in the league.

Least finals appearances in the last decade.
2nd least amount of wins over the same period.
Least amount of first round picks on our list.
Had to rebuild during compromised drafts.
Had 5 players drafted to help our rebuild leave for peanuts.
Broke.
And to top it off we're located in a market in where financial success is dependent on on-field success.

Wietering and Schache would go a long way to sureing up our list long term. Lambert back in might help us actually keep them too.

Great Post.

For mine the bold one above is sometimes underrated by wider football circles, but I really think this hurt allot of clubs trying to rebuild during this time. Obviously the GH5 was a hammer blow for us and the other points are also compelling arguments for extra Draft support.

I'm sure the wider football community will generally hate seeing us get assistance especially if its a low First rounder but I think its becoming increasingly clear our list dept just isn't strong enough to compete at AFL level right now.

The AFL will quickly need to consider just how serious they are about Footy in Queensland, I can't see the Lions getting out of their financial funk either until some moderate success returns and surely they will want to see us reducing these debt levels at some point.... The best way in our market obviously is on field success, which starts from better talent and retention.

Lets see what unfolds over the off-season.

Great Post.

For mine the bold one above is sometimes underrated by wider football circles, but I really think this hurt allot of clubs trying to rebuild during this time. Obviously the GH5 was a hammer blow for us and the other points are also compelling arguments for extra Draft support.

Totally. I said at the time when both new 'Fran Chizes' were coming into the league with all of those low round picks, that it was the worst time in the history of modern footy team building (ie. the draft system) to be at the bottom of the ladder, because all it would take would be some additional factors and a team could very easily be stuck at the bottom for a longer period of time that a standard re-building phase. And here we are.

Craig lambert should be our number 1 off-season target. In my honest opinion I don't think we would have lost any players if he was still around. Seriously the best player welfare guy around. Cannot speak More highly of him.

Two factors.

1: Players leave Brisbane earlier in their careers than other teams.

2: Less football department spending, means less scouting and recruitment time and resources.

This is why the AFL needs to stand strong on academies, and get local talent to local clubs.

Come at me Eddie :eek:
This guy for Collingwood president. Who's with me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back