Queensland State Election (31/1/2015) - Labor form govt (Thread pg 54)

Remove this Banner Ad

Looks like it's going to take a RC before we can decide who was the worse Premier Joh or CanDo.
http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/com...e-island-mining-promises-20150121-12vaoe.html
Campbell Newman broke an election promise and rewarded a donor mining company with potentially $1.5 billion additional revenue.

Belgian-owned sand miner Sibelco Australia Limited helped Newman win the last Queensland election with a $1 million-plus political campaign opposing the former Labor government.

It included 108 prime time TV ads, numerous full page newspaper ads and cinema ads. In October, 2012, seven months after the election, Sibelco declared expenditure of only $91,840 with the Queensland Electoral Commission.

But the full extent of the campaign was revealed in a report tabled in parliament in November, 2013. The report was prepared by Sibelco's PR company, Rowland, when nominating for an award.

Sibelco's campaign goal was to overturn Labor's special 2011 legislation which extended expired mining leases at Stradbroke's main mine to 2019.

Sibelco had applied for an extension to 2027.

There was substantial public interest in the issue in the lead up to the last state election and Newman was under pressure to announce the LNP's policy. He did that on a popular radio program in late January, 2012. The transcript records that Newman promised he would restore rights on Stradbroke and not give Sibelco anything more. He twice denied that he would extend Sibelco's mining interests.

The now Chief Justice, Tim Carmody QC, confirmed in a legal opinion sent to Mr Newman in April 2012, the month after his election, that Sibelco, under existing mining legislation, had lost the chance of obtaining an extension of expired mining leases to 2027, but that opponents lost their rights to legally challenge and possibly prevent any extension.

More than a year later, on 19 July, 2013, at a parliamentary Estimates hearing, Mines Minister Andrew Cripps was asked (page 8 of the transcript) whether the LNP government intended a longer timeframe for sand mining. Cripps answered: "It may involve a longer timeframe …"

At the same hearing, Cripps was asked by Labor's Jo-Anne Miller (at page 26 of the transcript): "…the Premier assured the public prior to the last election that he would not give Sibelco anything more than what they had prior to the North Stradbroke Island Act and would not extend those mining interests. Can the minister assure us that Sibelco will not be given an extension in area or time for any of the mining leases on North Stradbroke?"

Cripps eventually answered (at p. 29) that Sibelco had put forward a proposal for it to continue mining until 2035: "…I reiterate that that is a proposal that has been put forward by Sibelco for us to consider. It is not necessarily what the Queensland government will implement".

On 30 October 2013, at another parliamentary committee hearing, Sibelco's CEO, Campbell Jones, said he met with Campbell Newman on "one or two occasions" (page 9 of the transcript).

The same day, Newman was asked whether he had discussed Sibelco's electoral support at these meetings.

He answered that he could not recall when he met Sibelco's CEO but he claimed he simply told Jones what was in the public domain prior to the 2012 election. (Hansard page 3702).

But would the company have spent a small fortune backing Newman without an indication from him that he was willing to break his public promise to restore rights and not give Sibelco anything more?

In November, 2013 the Newman government amended the North Stradbroke legislation to increase the area able to be mined by 300 per cent to over 10 square kilometres and to allow Sibelco, in 2019, to extend mining leases to 2035.

It also removed the usual objection and judicial review rights of opponents. On its own figures, Sibelco stands to benefit by $1.5 billion in additional revenue.

Newman has tried to cover up his broken election promises.

During debate on the amendment Bill, Newman misled parliament by falsely claiming that his 2012 election policy was to extend sand mining to 2035 and "everyone knew" this (Hansard, 20.11.13 p.4105).

Even the evidence of his own Mines Minister Andrew Cripps at the committee hearing exposes this as a lie.

In Queensland it is a criminal offence for anyone, including politicians, to lie at a parliamentary committee hearing. But this law does not apply to politicians lying when debating a bill in parliament.

It is for the public to judge such lies.

To be referred to the electoral commission. Fair enough too, this guys is simply a crook.
http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2015/jan/26/lnp-accused-bribing-queenslanders-projects-for-votes-pledge

Newman has tried to soften it by saying all electorates will get their fair share but he doesn't want to bind the hands of any non-LNP member by following through promises they might not have wanted or something like that. I can't think of any local member who doesn't want improvements made to their electorate.

He is trying to appear thoughtful while constantly telling people how to vote.

If you don't vote for us your electorate won't get anything.
If you don't vote for me, LNP can't win.
If you vote for a third party, Labor will win, despite both parties saying they won't deal with minor parties.

Meanwhile, they tell government funded community services that if they question policies or link to somewhere that questions policies, you will lose your funding, and tells public servants they can not make political comment while identifiable as a public servant. He then goes and tells the people that the people he speaks to in Qld Health say they have never felt more supported. There is no recourse for these people aside from under pseudonyms on independent websites because they have been muzzled.

Public servants used to have union fees automatically deducted from their wages. The government stopped that and the unions had to organise a different way of collecting fees. People can still get house payments and the like automatically deducted though. It was a cynical move to dilute numbers. Departments pass down memos about how the unions were stopping people from getting their cost of living payrises because they wouldn't sign off on a paltry offer that was well unders while the government set about giving themselves a $1000 per week pay rise.

It all feels like they are saying 'everything is great, everyone is happy' while behind the curtain they are pointing guns at their heads.

God knows what another 3 years would produce. Even the public service hierarchy feels strongly conservative. Lower levels don't feel safe at all. Why would they, they apparently are objects to be picked up by a pooper scooper according to the premier.

Regardless of where you fall on the political scale, I would think most fair minded people would be alarmed if this was happening in their state but they have the full backing of the daily media. So did Joh-Bjelke Petersen for much of his reign.

There is something I don't understand, Bjelke-Peterson seems to have been a hugely unpopular leader in QLD, so why are PUP running with his son as their leader? Is he cut from a different mold?

Looks like it's going to take a RC before we can decide who was the worse Premier Joh or CanDo.
http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/comment/campbell-newman-lied-about-stradbroke-island-mining-promises-20150121-12vaoe.html

Gough, the problem is that the networks and Courier Mail will barely touch this stuff. If this was Labor they would bring it up daily. The independent online media can get no traction because the CM is actively pushing trivial anti-Labor issues too balance the equation. You know ... 5 years ago such and such's husband got a job somewhere he wasn't qualified for ... can you trust Labor?

However Labor were smashed last election because of it and somehow that is more important than holding the present government to account. 5 of the 7 that held their seats are running again and a smattering of others are running again. It's not the same leadership of last time.

There is something I don't understand, Bjelke-Peterson seems to have been a hugely unpopular leader in QLD, so why are PUP running with his son as their leader? Is he cut from a different mold?

He reigned for a long time and his ousting brought on a 20 year Labor rule that has been demonised more and more as time goes on. Joh was National Party when they were a massive power in Qld. This might register for some votes from the rural grass roots, nothing more.

Gough, the problem is that the networks and Courier Mail will barely touch this stuff. If this was Labor they would bring it up daily. The independent online media can get no traction because the CM is actively pushing trivial anti-Labor issues too balance the equation. You know ... 5 years ago such and such's husband got a job somewhere he wasn't qualified for ... can you trust Labor?

However Labor were smashed last election because of it and somehow that is more important than holding the present government to account. 5 of the 7 that held their seats are running again and a smattering of others are running again. It's not the same leadership of last time.
If the judiciary is independent, and I understand that can be a bit dodgy at the moment, surely things like this will eventually be looked at. Part of me thinks that Newman is terrified of losing power because of the potential consequences of a close examination of both his and the LNP's actions in government.

Regardless of where you fall on the political scale, I would think most fair minded people would be alarmed if this was happening in their state but they have the full backing of the daily media. So did Joh-Bjelke Petersen for much of his reign.
Excellent post.
Because I stopped reading print newspapers and boycott Murdoch media as much as possible I started to wonder if people were insane or just stupid voting for the politicians they do. Recently in Sydney I picked up a rag in a coffee shop that was sitting on the table. I think it was called The Telegraph. Anything inside that wasn't to do with sport or celebrities lives was like press releases from the LNP. There was a column from one of the Murdoch pit bulls (not Bolt, the other one) about what a great job Newmann and Abbott are doing and to vote any other way is stupid.
I read it for a while out of fascination then quickly put it down feeling revolted and slightly dirty.

If the judiciary is independent, and I understand that can be a bit dodgy at the moment, surely things like this will eventually be looked at. Part of me thinks that Newman is terrified of losing power because of the potential consequences of a close examination of both his and the LNP's actions in government.

He appointed a friend as Chief Justice. The judiciary screamed blue murder about this but it stood. The guy simply did not have the resume or had displayed the ability to fill this role. Newman has set about removing the influence of the judiciary block by block.

He does these things with weak reasoning and escapes mainstream scrutiny.

* We are taking the pay rise because the previous wage freeze for politicians was unconstitutional. We have to obey the law by taking this money.
* We are raising the amount of political donations that don't have to be reported 10 fold ... just to bring it into line with what the Federal government does ... no other reason.

I mean look at that Sibelco thing. How on earth do you get that by and also take away the right to appeal? Why would you take that right away for anything at all? It's the very definition of unaccountable.

They give weak, unsustainable excuses for things they do, and the media go 'oh ok, we got answer, no more questions' and totally fail in their duty to make them accountable.

There was an article in the Courier-Mail (I think, will try and find) that said Australia was the dumbest nation on Earth because Shorten was in front of Abbott in the opinion polls.

It's like their preferred party can do the craziest stuff, the most heartless stuff, the most ruthless stuff, they can break promises ... have a string to issues and they'll be like 'Don't you remember the carbon tax?'

Surely journos know the passion that got them into journalism has been hopelessly compromised by their pay cheque.

There was an article in the Courier-Mail (I think, will try and find) that said Australia was the dumbest nation on Earth because Shorten was in front of Abbott in the opinion polls.

EDIT: found it - http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...-nation-on-earth/story-fnihsr9v-1227147788128
it really is 1984. War is peace etc.
Either bread & circuses (celebrities and rugby league) or just outright lies. We are doing this for your own good (making you pay and giving the money to our mates in big business).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hugely unpopular in Qld? That will do me. No more comments thanks Dr.

You don't last two decades as premier by being hugely unpopular, although the Bjelkemander certainly helped too.

You don't last two decades as premier by being hugely unpopular, although the Bjelkemander certainly helped too.
Cheers for that, was just that I regularly see that era being mentioned in a negative light on social media/letters to the editor etc (e.g. "with <action x> newman is bringing back the worst of the sir joh era"). Was before my time hence my confusion.

Double thanks for not being a dick about it :D

Joh may have been a bastard but he was Queeensland's bastard. Regardless of what you may think of him he was a true leader for Queenslanders. He may have feathered his mates' nest but he got things done. Right or wrong he got things done. He didn't let a few noisy protesters dictate terms.

Joh may have been a bastard but he was Queeensland's bastard. Regardless of what you may think of him he was a true leader for Queenslanders. He may have feathered his mates' nest but he got things done. Right or wrong he got things done. He didn't let a few noisy protesters dictate terms.
He was a dishonest politician. Calling him a bastard is almost like calling him a larrikin.

He was a dishonest politician. Calling him a bastard is almost like calling him a larrikin.
Actually, he allegedly was a dishonest politician. He was never found guilty. You have too remember that back in the 70's and 80's, the Japanese gave gifts too politicians as a thank you for allowing them to do business in your State/Country. The disclosure of gifts wasn't as strict as it is now.

Actually, he allegedly was a dishonest politician. He was never found guilty. You have too remember that back in the 70's and 80's, the Japanese gave gifts too politicians as a thank you for allowing them to do business in your State/Country. The disclosure of gifts wasn't as strict as it is now.
Yeah that brown paper bag with 200g was only a sign of the times, as was rigging juries and as was gerrymander. Oh I miss those times of such certainty. I pine to again witness the beating of a punk rocker outside Easts Leagues club as a policeman says that he should not look like that. And that other bashing of a young bloke in King George Square who had the misfortune to say "*" to his mate and not realise that there was a policeman within hearing distance. I would so wish to witness that again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back