Richmond vs Carlton - 7:45pm MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree with Blues fans about overreaction re: Warnock. Played generally well, just made a couple of obvious clangers. He isn't the first guy though that could look back on a game and think what if...

If any individual player should cop heat, it should be Jeff Garlett or Bryce Gibbs. Might be a tough marker but there's a dozen guys at Carlton who would kill for their talent, e.g Carrazzo, Warnock, Curnow, McLean, Robinson (lack polish but they earn their pay - and before Blues fans junp on me I also think we have a lot of sinilar players). But Garlett & Gibbs, I just don't know. Where was Garletts head tonight, runs to get the opportunity and then does things with the footy a guy of his quality shouldn't ever do. I like Murphy & Kreuzer but feel Gibbs may be the one that is always reflected on...

While that match was hilarious at times, I don't see either side playing that poorly again. Had thr Blues as the one out of Port/North/Pies/Blues (i.e teams around that 7-10 range) as the one to underperform but maybe it will just be Port to reaching expectations & the rest underperforming. Tiges can now go 2-1 and hide away fron the media. Blues, not so much, they will cop it, but with a guy like Mick at the helm you can never write then off....

Not sure about Robinson, has a habit of blazing away and is a bit of a turnover merchant. But I agree, apart from that goal, Gibbs did little, which is really disappointing given the last time he played the tigs, he was close to best on ground. Garlett and Waite cost Carlton the game, but Carlton's forward have been an enduring problem. Richmond played like rubbish in the last quarter (the third quarter they just missed chances) but I think fatigue kicked in and they started to panic.

Carlton supporters stop being so logical and diplomatic. It's almost making me have respect for you. Almost.

Carlton have one of the best supporter groups on bigfooty. They're reasonable and willing to dump on their own team when they need to.

We didn't deserve to be any closer the way we were playing. Ignoring the diabolical kicking that kept us from taking the lead though is pointless. It happened.

Sure, I just wonder though if this is just one game or a trend. You kicked something like 9.22 against Essendon last year, being unlucky can happen, when it starts to happen more than once it starts to become more than just luck, think of North's late fadeouts. I can't remember the last time Richmond blew a match missing that many shots.

A lot of over reactions on here, which is typical a game or two into the season...who knows how things will develop from here, but there's no escaping that these two sides are showing nothing more than mediocre at this stage.

Still plenty of water to go under the bridge, but if one or both take another 3 or more weeks to play at a top 8 contender level, it could be fatal for their 2014 finals hopes.

I think even North would have won tonight had they produced identical form to what they showed last week, and that there was some pretty average early season form.

Time will tell I guess.

Sure, I just wonder though if this is just one game or a trend. You kicked something like 9.22 against Essendon last year, being unlucky can happen, when it starts to happen more than once it starts to become more than just luck, think of North's late fadeouts. I can't remember the last time Richmond blew a match missing that many shots.

Definitely is an issue. Not a constant issue, but on an ongoing intermittent issue. I left that game against the Dons last year lost for words. We had our shot at the finals right there on the line and just pissed it away with one of the most diabolical displays of goal kicking you'll ever see. Played all over the Dons that night and didn't get the win. At least with tonight while our kicking probably denied us a win in the end, I can at least take solace in the fact you outplayed us for large portions of the game.

entertaining second half, but poor footy from both sides. neither will play finals.

Let's lose to GWS first and then we will come back to this conversation at a later date.

Also, you can see Dimma saying 'what the * is he doing' in regards to Shane Edwards playing on when Jack got the free kick.
Richmond do that too often, take the free!!! Through dumb luck Vickery got that goal, get out of jail free card.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Comments on Ben Griffiths and David Astbury?

Astbury did some good things, took an important mark at the end there (I think it was him). Griffiths was really impressive though. For any who may have noticed, I've had wraps on this kid for a while now. In the Black vs Carlisle vs Griffiths thread a couple of years back I voted for Griff. Was questioning that in recent times, but on tonight's game my hope is renewed.

Astbury did some good things, took an important mark at the end there (I think it was him).

Do you mean in the left pocket when the margin was six points? I think that was Griffiths, although I may need to check the tape to be sure. Astbury took 10 marks, and I think he did a pretty good job on Waite and Henderson, Henderson didn't do that much, and Waite is always going to post problems and had something like six or seven shots, I wont mark him down for that. But I didn't see any major brain farts coming out of defense.

Griffiths was really impressive though. For any who may have noticed, I've had wraps on this kid for a while now. In the Black vs Carlisle vs Griffiths thread a couple of years back I voted for Griff. Was questioning that in recent times, but on tonight's game my hope is renewed.

Big call MK, even most Richmond fans wouldn't have followed you there. I do see some nice signs, his rucking is okay, he's an accurate shot for goal, he leads to the ball well, and can take a contested mark. I think he's behind both Black and Carlisle who both had excellent 2013 seasons, but he seems like a player and did some key things in key moments.

For Carlton I liked Bell, Everitt and Buckley, and even though I've been a hater I think that Yarran played magnificently once he was pushed forward. I reckon Malthouse should leave him there.

Dropped mark in the first quarter was the old Griffiths, like R1 last year. Rest of the game was the new improved Griffo.

Do you mean in the left pocket when the margin was six points? I think that was Griffiths, although I may need to check the tape to be sure. Astbury took 10 marks, and I think he did a pretty good job on Waite and Henderson, Henderson didn't do that much, and Waite is always going to post problems and had something like six or seven shots, I wont mark him down for that. But I didn't see any major brain farts coming out of defense.

Yeah probably about right. 6 points I think and taken between the pocket and flank. I thought it was Astbury, but like you, would need to check again.

Big call MK, even most Richmond fans wouldn't have followed you there. I do see some nice signs, his rucking is okay, he's an accurate shot for goal, he leads to the ball well, and can take a contested mark. I think he's behind both Black and Carlisle who both had excellent 2013 seasons, but he seems like a player and did some key things in key moments.

Behind at the moment, but wasn't necessarily back then. It was all a call for the future and I reckoned the guy has the tools. Nice size and moves well for his height, good mark, thumping kick. Who knows how it's gonna pan out, but purely as a footy follower, I was glad to see him put in a good one tonight.

For Carlton I liked Bell, Everitt and Buckley, and even though I've been a hater I think that Yarran played magnificently once he was pushed forward. I reckon Malthouse should leave him there.

Bell was alright, just needs to use the pill better. I liked Everitt's job on Lids and Buckley's game was a real positive for Blues fans. I thought Yarran was dangerous, but damn I wish he could match Buckley's intensity. Just floated at times. I'm still hoping he can play off a wing/HF. Wasted in a pocket.

I know he's upset but I'm not sure giving death stares to the journos (who were admittedly asking some pretty dumb questions) is the right thing to do.

I thought he answered most questions well and was pretty reasonable. There was one knob that kept making vague statements, rather than ask questions, and rightfully got the Mick treatment

I thought he answered most questions well and was pretty reasonable. There was one knob that kept making vague statements, rather than ask questions, and rightfully got the Mick treatment

Nah, Mick was the knob. Loved him as a player and been a great coach, but he's losing me. Frequently resorts to bluster and intimidation when he can't, or won't, digest a loss.

Various attempts have been made at scripting him as football's philosophical statesman, but plenty (particularly journo's) have him pegged as a cantankerous old campaigner, with justification.

Time for another sausage sizzle, Mick.

Last edited:
You paid 10 million for one of the most overrated players in the game.
It was a business decision to pay that much. Given the amount of publicity it has created some argue it has already paid for itself. Really is amazing so many people dont get that.

...also lol if you think Franklin is overrated.

btw, Cotchin - awesome. Lids - awesome. Martin - lets see if he ever runs out 3/4s of a game.

There's a way to respond to questions which are actually statements and not look deliberately antagonistic. I get that he's pissed that his team didn't win, but it's clear that the journos are intimidated by him. They were obviously trying to get some feedback on what he thought of the players, and all he gave them was curt one liners. Sheedy used to play this game with the journos too, it annoys me. Pretty much all press conferences have statements which are designed to elicit a response.

Behind at the moment, but wasn't necessarily back then. It was all a call for the future and I reckoned the guy has the tools. Nice size and moves well for his height, good mark, thumping kick. Who knows how it's gonna pan out, but purely as a footy follower, I was glad to see him put in a good one tonight.

High praise MK, I value that. For the record, Williams has now turned around two careers: Martin and Griffiths. Griffiths hasn't made it yet but he was struggling in the twos, his last fortnight has been his career best. Martin did a number of key things in the last quarter which has been his issue.

Bell was alright, just needs to use the pill better. I liked Everitt's job on Lids and Buckley's game was a real positive for Blues fans. I thought Yarran was dangerous, but damn I wish he could match Buckley's intensity. Just floated at times. I'm still hoping he can play off a wing/HF. Wasted in a pocket.

I don't think Yarran ever will, but as long as he gets involved as much as tonight and uses the ball as well as he did he has a future, I thought this was close to his best game tonight, was arguably bog. I agree that he needs to play more in the middle, albeit forward of it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back