Preview Round 6 Changes and Pre-Match Discussion Vs Essendon (MCG)

Remove this Banner Ad

Bomber Thompson said last night that Carlisle will not be played as a defender and will persevere with him as a forward.....and coaches never lie so that is a lock!!!

On another note, last year Bellchambers and Gumbleton kicked 3 goals each (from memory) on ANZAC day. WIthout them two and Crameri they looked pretty poor up forward against the saints. You have to wonder why they let Gumby go since Crameri was always destined for the Dogs

Yeah, I watched Bomber say that, I was just asking in a hypothetical sense.

Then again, I'm waiting for Bomber to accuse the press of trying to assassinate Carlisle at one of those doozy post-game stand-up routines...

On the calls for no changes I would not be averse to this. But it may create a bit of a headache as to who is the sub. Ball will not be sub again so it would probably come down to one of these three:

JT - was sub in his first game back in Rd 4, last weekend was his first full game and he did quite well. I can't see him going back to being the sub.

Blair - he plays an important defensive role in the forward line and has been ok so far. I also think he is better playing a full game then trying to come on and impact the game as a sub.

Langdon - this probably makes most sense given his total game time has been coming down every week and he has had a couple of average ones. Problem is he has never been the sub before and I don't seem him being the type to make an immediate impact as the sub requires.
If we are going to pick Langdon, but just play him as the sub I'd prefer Dwyer instead as he can be more effective in that role and has more big game experience.

So therefore I see it coming to the following options:
NO CHANGE
Option A: Langdon (full game) + Blair (sub)
Option B: Blair (full game) + Langdon (sub)

IN DWYER OUT LANGDON
Option C: Blair (full game) + Dwyer (sub)

To me option C looks better than A or B.

Picking Adams for Langdon also creates the same issues - are you playing him as sub for the third time? Or is it Blair as sub and Adams into the lineup - not ideal for Blair IMO as detailed above.

On the loss of a defender I would say we still have 7-8 guys who can play back there - Maxwell, Frost, Keefe, Toovey, Fasolo, Lumumba, Young, and Goldsack if required.

Last edited:

The non Essendon talk (so not biased) is that Goddard will probably play, even though he's still struggling with a groin/abductor problem from the Freo game.

Seems they won't risk Bellchambers though, would be silly to given the Judd situation last week, surely clubs are going to follow the cautious approach from now on.

Winderlich will play, he was only rested on the weekend.

Still think it's our game to lose, our best football wins us this game quite easily.

Our best football takes you to the cleaners :)

I am interested to see what everything thinks about Clinton Young, have played a few games in a row. Do you see his kicking as a strength or just butchering the ball over a longer distance? With Harry, Fasolo, Young and even Sidebottom to an extend playing as a half back / wing. Do you think his position is a bit shakey or required?

I am interested to see what everything thinks about Clinton Young, have played a few games in a row. Do you see his kicking as a strength or just butchering the ball over a longer distance? With Harry, Fasolo, Young and even Sidebottom to an extend playing as a half back / wing. Do you think his position is a bit shakey or required?

Call me old fashioned:rolleyes:, but I would rather a poor kick that goes 60 than just a crappy 35:p

Carlton won

25gt01c.jpg

Who plays the small defensive role in the back line if Langdon is dropped? It won't be Dwyer. Langdon plays a role that needs filling by a player who can play the same role. Langdon won't be dropped unless Harry goes back and i dont think many including Bucks would want that.

Langdon should stay in until Williams is ready to go. I think we'll see Marley back in the seniors after the bye.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am sure the mood will be up around the club with Williams not getting jail time and that can only be a positive for this Friday.

Essendon are the most overachieving team, they have only two stars in the team and they are Watson and Goddard but if you ask their fans they would say all 45 players on their list are stars and are Brownlow chances in their careers.

They are a team that have basically got the most out of themselves like the Collingwood teams of 2002/2003. If people see Essendon as a club to fear in 2014 then we are really struggling for good sides in the AFL.

If they beat us it will be because they want the game more than us and are more desperate then us and not because they have more talent on their list then Collingwood.

I agree with the comment on Zaharakis, he is a less talented version of Marc Murphey. It's all good playing well when the whole team is up and about but he goes missing when they are not playing well.

Marley to return via the VFL I imagine, but then to come in and replace Langdon..?

Not for ANZAC Day obviously, but perhaps Carlton.

Adams 36 possessions will be hard to ignore, and Nathan Brown will depend on match ups and maybe weather

Remove this Banner Ad

Back