Official Match Thread Season 37 - Round 9 - Fighting Furies v Dragons FFC at rfctigerarmy's hippodrome

Remove this Banner Ad

3. Three Colours: Blue.

The first instalment in the thematic trilogy, this one has as its foundation 'liberty', though as it's presented here, it is a freedom from emotional entanglements experienced by Juliette Binoche's Julie, rather than the socio-political meanings the French Republic is founded upon. Following the death of her husband and daughter in an accident she survives, Julie tries to seek freedom in complete emotional isolation, only to find that for such a social species, this is a forlorn attempt. Julie makes a decision in the film's final moments that is a beautiful express of her character as well as the emotional nature of her being, and is utterly heartbreaking for the audience. Each film of the trilogy finishes on a character crying for different reasons; this is the most emotional.

2. Three Colours: Red.

The final instalment of the trilogy, with Kieslowski's promise for this to be his final film proving to be correct when he died suddenly only two years after its release, it has as its theme 'fraternity', and following the anti-tragedy and anti-comedy styling of its predecessors, becomes an anti-romance. Themes of betrayal, intrusion, possessiveness, and the redemption found in human kindness characterised Kieslowski's works; all of them found their highest expression in this film, hailed as a masterpiece of world cinema, and quite possibly as the greatest French language film ever made. The friendship between Irene Jacob's Valentine and Jean-Louis Trintignant's Joseph, beginning on such unlikely grounds blossoms into a truly special connection between two people. If the weeping shot of Julie in Blue was the most raw of the three, that of Joseph in Red, where the emotion comes from a love unrequited born from the memory of a love lost and embittered, yet mixed with a certain happiness for the sake of its object (found both alive and with a hint of her longed for future ahead of her), is truly the most sublime, and from a purely cinematic perspective, Kieslowski's greatest achievement.

1. A Short Film About Killing.

Three Colours: Red is not only Kieslowski's greatest film, but one of the greatest movies ever made. Yet this film, another expanded episode from Dekalog, has killing as its theme, moving from the unmotivated, random murder that society condemns with legally sanctioned homicide via the death penalty. With the exception of Krzysztof Globisz' Piotr, an idealistic new lawyer, not a single one of the characters in the movie is made out to be sympathetic. The murder victim is thoroughly unlikeable, yet arouses the viewer's sympathy when struggling against his killer, who, facing his own end, transforms from the cold-blooded thrill killed to the lost child, entirely aware of his fate yet struggling against it, the only desires he had left, so small yet so understandable, to be buried in the final plot in his family's cemetery and to have a cherished photo of his deceased sister's First Communion returned to their mother. Unlikeable as these characters are, they are entirely human.

This film had no right to succeed. The first 40 minutes are bland, following boring people with the pathetic trivialities of their lives, and with a cinematography that is suffused with a grimy yellow that makes the whole production look cheap. Get through that, and you will find a priceless celebration of the sanctity of human life and denunciation of the death penalty. While the extreme sanction was not commonplace in Poland at the time, this film was part of the movement to have it abolished completely, which may have been no small feat in a communist state.

Watch this movie.

Top 10 CURRENT, REAL LIFE* Czech Republic National Footballers

*I realise Petr Cech is probably number 1 if I would be including former players in this countdown, and further apologies to all you fans of Viktor Cadlec, a Fifa generated youth academy 16 year old, 77 rated winger with a beard but unfortunately I can only do so much Fifa playing, google research and Czech Republic football watching so I am only doing current, real life players.

Without any further waiting, let's commence. Also, this is very subjective, so feel free to ridicule all you like.

10: Tomas Holes

Currently one of my locked on back 4 in my fifa career in competitive matches at the central defensive position and currently in and out of the real life back 3. He is very versatile with being adept at playing defensive midfielder too and is very comfortable with the ball at his feet. At 30 years old he may be past his prime, but with over a decade of experience in senior football he is currently a leader at his club team. Always a decent fringe impact substitute player at a club like Dortmund.
I've been a big fan of Sparta Prague product Adam Hlozek coz he's been a great player in Football Manager for a while now, he's now at Leverkusen IRLView attachment 1941438

Also a bit more obscure but Vaclav Cerny of Wolfsburg used to be an absolute baller at Ajax back in some of the older FM games

View attachment 1941439
Do not be surprised to see Adam Hlozek and Vaclav Cerny in the countdown.
Personally i am a big fan of Adam, he is always my first transfer to Dortmund on fifa.

Current or all-time? Because I don't think number 1 all-time will shock anyone.
Current. As above. I can't be bothered doing that much research 😂

I was thinking Pavel Nedved as no.1 anyway over Cech.
He was well before my time so I never saw him play. Would be thinking along the lines of Rosicky at 3 and Nedved at 2 for all time though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's time for the first countdown of the thread!

I've been binging Krzysztof Kieslowski films on Mubi the last few days; he may be the greatest director produced by Poland, but also, via the Tres Coloirs trilogy, had significant impact upon cinema in the French language. Now I only got to see 5 of his films, so the countdown is purely limited to what I've seen; omgfridge looking for your thoughts as well.

1711550175930.png

Can’t believe I never heard of Krzysztof Kieslowski before. Super interesting. Maybe I have but never registered. Probably watched too much Futurama to notice
1711558501451.png

2. Three Colours: Red.

The final instalment of the trilogy, with Kieslowski's promise for this to be his final film proving to be correct when he died suddenly only two years after its release, it has as its theme 'fraternity', and following the anti-tragedy and anti-comedy styling of its predecessors, becomes an anti-romance. Themes of betrayal, intrusion, possessiveness, and the redemption found in human kindness characterised Kieslowski's works; all of them found their highest expression in this film, hailed as a masterpiece of world cinema, and quite possibly as the greatest French language film ever made. The friendship between Irene Jacob's Valentine and Jean-Louis Trintignant's Joseph, beginning on such unlikely grounds blossoms into a truly special connection between two people. If the weeping shot of Julie in Blue was the most raw of the three, that of Joseph in Red, where the emotion comes from a love unrequited born from the memory of a love lost and embittered, yet mixed with a certain happiness for the sake of its object (found both alive and with a hint of her longed for future ahead of her), is truly the most sublime, and from a purely cinematic perspective, Kieslowski's greatest achievement.

I've been meaning to check out the Three Colours films, this list might come in handy.

Will watch the next episodes today. The first two were better than I could have dreamed.

Top 20 XMen characters?
A modern adaption that holds up?

Shocked The Muppets GIF by ABC Network

Top 10 Czech Footballers:

9: Lukas Provod

A 27 year old left footed attacking midfielder, just entering his prime, capable of playing out on the wing also, currently plying his trade in his native Czech Republic for Slavia Prague, one of the powerhouses in the Fortuna Liga. He was first called up to the Czech Republic national team in 2020 and has since made 10 caps for the team. His most recent outing for the Czech national team was on the 22nd March where he was subbed off at the 73rd minute mark. Club wise this season he has contributed 1 goal but has also tallied up 6 assists.

He is also one of my trusted offensive players in the Czech Republic national team who I also play out wide in case of emergency.

OIP.LL8r4FAXtfrCEh3nL8QQBAAAAA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back