Skippos's 2015 Draft Resource

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi skippos i might be blind but i didn't see Darcy Macpherson anywhere in your list of 100+ players. I know he is protecting as more of a rookie selection at the moment but a few posters on our board seem to think the club will need to use a 3rd rounder on him. Have you seen much of him?

Skippos, should this be how Essendon should approach the draft?

Their first pick, midfielder.
2nd pick, forward.
3rd pick, ruckman.
4th pick, defender.

I think talls. Jake Carlise leaving and Dustin retiring and other than Hooker, Joe Daniher and Hurley looks very limited in the big man department

Skippos, should this be how Essendon should approach the draft?

Their first pick, midfielder.
2nd pick, forward.
3rd pick, ruckman.
4th pick, defender.

I wouldn't lock yourselves in to such a rigid drafting philosophy. As a rule of thumb I advocate picking the best available player that doesn't play a position you're already well stocked in (quality wise). For Essendon that means I'd probably be picking the best available who wasn't a KPD with the first pick. Towards the later rounds I'm okay with picking for needs.

Realistically you'll end up with one of Parish, Francis, Curnow and Mathieson. That's a win. Any of them.

Towards the second pick given your list state at the moment I'd be looking at picking the best available slider type. Fill needs towards the back end, perhaps.

Hi skippos i might be blind but i didn't see Darcy Macpherson anywhere in your list of 100+ players. I know he is protecting as more of a rookie selection at the moment but a few posters on our board seem to think the club will need to use a 3rd rounder on him. Have you seen much of him?

Nah, I haven't. Hence why he doesn't appear. That said, if I'm to evaluate him off what I know (which is very little) - I see an overaged kid who's not statistically dominating nor was he deemed good enough for an overage champs slot. Comparing his VFL performance to blokes drafted from his age group last year and he falls short compared to most. He's also short. So until I see some footage I'm not too hot on the idea of him. Could all change if, upon getting a look at him, he exhibits some really draftable attributes.

Any thoughts of the 19 year olds running around this year?

Probably not as hot on them as some. Mitch Hibberd I think is a quality player, Himmelberg is okay but still speculative, Callum Moore is a project - a good one, but still a project. Davin Ferreira I've seen three times now and have been impressed, but I'd like to see more. I think he's a good bet as an AFL standard small forward. I really like Alex Morgan's dash off half back and from what I've gathered, Nick Coughlan is a real go-er as a key defender. Markov hasn't sold me at all. I want to like him, and he's athletic and entertaining as they come - but in terms of pure substance? Meh. Aside from those ones? Not much

I wouldn't lock yourselves in to such a rigid drafting philosophy. As a rule of thumb I advocate picking the best available player that doesn't play a position you're already well stocked in (quality wise). For Essendon that means I'd probably be picking the best available who wasn't a KPD with the first pick. Towards the later rounds I'm okay with picking for needs.

Realistically you'll end up with one of Parish, Francis, Curnow and Mathieson. That's a win. Any of them.

Towards the second pick given your list state at the moment I'd be looking at picking the best available slider type. Fill needs towards the back end, perhaps.

Nah, I haven't. Hence why he doesn't appear. That said, if I'm to evaluate him off what I know (which is very little) - I see an overaged kid who's not statistically dominating nor was he deemed good enough for an overage champs slot. Comparing his VFL performance to blokes drafted from his age group last year and he falls short compared to most. He's also short. So until I see some footage I'm not too hot on the idea of him. Could all change if, upon getting a look at him, he exhibits some really draftable attributes.

Probably not as hot on them as some. Mitch Hibberd I think is a quality player, Himmelberg is okay but still speculative, Callum Moore is a project - a good one, but still a project. Davin Ferreira I've seen three times now and have been impressed, but I'd like to see more. I think he's a good bet as an AFL standard small forward. I really like Alex Morgan's dash off half back and from what I've gathered, Nick Coughlan is a real go-er as a key defender. Markov hasn't sold me at all. I want to like him, and he's athletic and entertaining as they come - but in terms of pure substance? Meh. Aside from those ones? Not much
any love for daniel capiron? he appears to be having quite a good year

MacPherson was injured during the champs and is a top ager not over ager. Really liked him last year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey Skippos, do you think Kieran Collins would be a viable option for the Crows if we went down the defender pathway? You've likened him to Daniel Talia, and from what I've seen he has no problems winning the ball, but like you've said, he is disciplined and shuts down. Is a backline of Talia, Collins and the attacking style of Lever too much?

Skippos
Blake Hardwick your thoughts could he play AFL and in what Position
I see he kicked 12 on the W/End

I like him through the middle.

Kicked twelve against Bendigo which to be fair, isn't as tough as it sounds. That said, still gotta kick em.

Does seem to have some forward game and can certainly start there in his career and could we'll be a permanent one but looking at his game I'm thinking more smaller inside mid who rotates forward. Attacks the ball hard, clean, knows what's around him. That's where I'm looking at, with him.

Hey Skippos, do you think Kieran Collins would be a viable option for the Crows if we went down the defender pathway? You've likened him to Daniel Talia, and from what I've seen he has no problems winning the ball, but like you've said, he is disciplined and shuts down. Is a backline of Talia, Collins and the attacking style of Lever too much?

Viable, yeah. He's more attacking that's Talia, it's an average comparison. I'll think up a new one.

Not something I'd do thiugh. More pressing needs than another KPD. Lever should mature into a capable second defender. Hartigan isn't cooked yet. Feel there is a good state leaguer or two as well. That's where I'd be looking at for now. Or glass-McCasker in the third round or thereabouts. Skinner perhaps in the second are other options.

Note: Aware the draft won't go for 92 picks. Just squeezing in a few extras, assume it's the start of the rookie or whatever. I expect the late academy/f-s kids to still go around the end of the ND, though.

LIQ0P98.png

p3CUjYV.png

tQam3F2.png

Unluckies:
Will Combe, Campbell Wildman, Kyle Presbury, Tom Doedee, Thomas Glen, Theo Thompson, David Cuningham, Josh Schoenfeld, Tom Phillips, Will Sexton, Tom Templeton, Chris Jansen, Bailey Williams, Darcy Cameron, Bailey Rogers, Shane Yarran, Michael Hagan, Josh Minogue, Dylan McDonald, Max Canfield, Matthew Perry, Levi Ridley, Thomas Cameron, John Shaw,Clint Hinchcliffe, Brendan Dew, Josh Minogue, Bruno Laguda, Tom Bennett, Jack Watson, Mark Kovacevic, Harry Cross, Ryan Gardner, Thomas Jok, Jack Firns, Dan Houston, Brayden Hackett, Declan Mountford, Lachlan Tiziani

you have nick okearney , hisham kerbatieh & blake hardiwck & wayne millera going to richmond arnt all these guys very similar players . i can see a strong midfield /foward presence here .is that how you see the tigers recruiting?

I think talls. Jake Carlise leaving and Dustin retiring and other than Hooker, Joe Daniher and Hurley looks very limited in the big man department
Talls are very limited. If Carlise leaves and Daniher, Hooker stays up forward then it leaves 4 key defenders all on the small side of things(Hurley, Pears, Steinberg and Gwilt).

Talls are very limited. If Carlise leaves and Daniher, Hooker stays up forward then it leaves 4 key defenders all on the small side of things(Hurley, Pears, Steinberg and Gwilt).

I still think area of concern
Only few of them I rate and Gwilt nearly retired and talls take longer to develop

you have nick okearney , hisham kerbatieh & blake hardiwck & wayne millera going to richmond arnt all these guys very similar players . i can see a strong midfield /foward presence here .is that how you see the tigers recruiting?

Yeah it's not a bad call. O'Kearney definitely more a midfielder, he's a bit separate from the other three as a inside/out type mid. Milera an outside mid/fwd, Hisham a pure crumber and hardwick a small forward/inside mid. If it pans out as I suspect Richmond gain an outside mid, an inside mid, a balanced mid and a small forward. But can certainly understand how it looks, and i'll likely adjust next update.

Why do Brisbane have picks 15 and 18?
You have Matthew Flynn in twice.

Brisbane - it's to do with how academies work
Flynn - cheers. must have copied his row instead of cut it.

I still think area of concern
Only few of them I rate and Gwilt nearly retired and talls take longer to develop
Yep, fully agree with you. I don't even rate Gwilt. Performance wise you could easy delist Gwilt, Pears and Steinberg and not a single eye lid would be blinked.

Brisbane - it's to do with how academies work
Flynn - cheers. must have copied his row instead of cut it.
I know how the academies work. What I don't understand is how Brisbane got picks 15 and 18.

I know how the academies work. What I don't understand is how Brisbane got picks 15 and 18.

It's how the bidding works now under the new system. If a bid is made for a player, to match it the clubs now have to 'buy' the pick before. In this case, Brisbane have 'bought' those picks using current other and future picks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back