Mega Thread The Franklin Mint - All Buddy angst, rants, etc to go in here AND NOWHERE ELSE

Remove this Banner Ad

The key difference being that he left for a new challenge that was helping build a new club from the ground up and proving he could be a great player in a poor side rather than people just assuming he was a great player because he was in a great side. He got the big bucks but I personally don't believe that was his main motivator. He's also quite a private guy by the sounds of things so playing in QLD was always going to help him stay under the radar.

If money wasn't his 'main' motivator he wouldn't have Pickers bargain hard on his behalf for 10 million over 5 years between October and December of 2009. McKenna let it slip in a presser that ablett initiated contact (not the other way around) and let it be known in no uncertain terms that he was serious in coming to the GC....IF THE PRICE WAS RIGHT hence why it took months to come to a protracted contract agreement.

Take into consideration that this was just weeks after Geelong had won a Premiership which makes it all the more damning.

Trust me he would not have left Geelong if it was only 10% - 20% increase in his salary, it had to a substantial amount (an approximate 140% increase) for him to sign the dotted line to play for the GC.

The challenge of leading a new franchise, stepping out of his snr's shadow, getting due recognition etc... was all smoke and mirrors to make him look less of a mercenary but that indeed he was and still very much is.

I won't bore you with other details that are also damning about his defection but it kinda irks me when non-Geelong supporters give ablett a free pas for his merc ways just because he comes across as a lovable goofy goodie two shoes dork so I felt compelled to give my 2 bobs worth.

Wow this thread has grown some feisty new legs. Made the mercenary my Supercoach captain on the weekend. Is just a name in a fantasy league game to me now.

If money wasn't his 'main' motivator he wouldn't have Pickers bargain hard on his behalf for 10 million over 5 years between October and December of 2009. McKenna let it slip in a presser that ablett initiated contact (not the other way around) and let it be known in no uncertain terms that he was serious in coming to the GC....IF THE PRICE WAS RIGHT hence why it took months to come to a protracted contract agreement.

Take into consideration that this was just weeks after Geelong had won a Premiership which makes it all the more damning.

Trust me he would not have left Geelong if it was only 10% - 20% increase in his salary, it had to a substantial amount (an approximate 140% increase) for him to sign the dotted line to play for the GC.

The challenge of leading a new franchise, stepping out of his snr's shadow, getting due recognition etc... was all smoke and mirrors to make him look less of a mercenary but that indeed he was and still very much is.

I won't bore you with other details that are also damning about his defection but it kinda irks me when non-Geelong supporters give ablett a free pas for his merc ways just because he comes across as a lovable goofy goodie two shoes dork so I felt compelled to give my 2 bobs worth.

Totally get that. For you guys burning junior is probably tempered by the fact his old man was a great Cats player. i.e. by burning one you probably burn them both. (just a theory?)

Good on ya. And to me, well it may just be the fact that he's an evangelical (and as an apostolic Christian I seem to cop a lot of abuse from Protestants in real life) but he comes across as really easy to dislike. Since he left the Cats I have found them much much easier to like, and they've become one of my favourite opposition teams from being one of my most disliked back in 08-09.

We all know Buddy won't play 9 years.
The amount of money he will make if the Swans are successful will be enormous.
I read somewhere that he could earn twice as much from outside of football as he does from his playing contract, if he helps the Swans to just ONE flag.
Think about it, would you pass up an opportunity to earn $20-30m? An Aussie Rules player earning $20-30m is unheard of.
Who would pass up an opportunity like that?
He is still the best of mates with the boys from Hawthorn so him leaving hasn't affected those relationships. The only angst he cops is from some of the fans.
Let's be honest, Buddy is no rocket scientist, the opportunity for him to earn more money than most AFL stars could dream of is or was a no brainer.

We all know Buddy won't play 9 years.
The amount of money he will make if the Swans are successful will be enormous.
I read somewhere that he could earn twice as much from outside of football as he does from his playing contract, if he helps the Swans to just ONE flag.
Think about it, would you pass up an opportunity to earn $20-30m? An Aussie Rules player earning $20-30m is unheard of.
Who would pass up an opportunity like that?
He is still the best of mates with the boys from Hawthorn so him leaving hasn't affected those relationships. The only angst he cops is from some of the fans.
Let's be honest, Buddy is no rocket scientist, the opportunity for him to earn more money than most AFL stars could dream of is or was a no brainer.

He could of done all that at GWS

No he couldn't, or more likely not anyways. Sydney provides instant finals during his peak (next 2-3 yrs) before age and father time will catch up with him. Sydney is a much more marketable brand than gws too meaning sponsorship and promotion will be worth significantly more.

No he couldn't coz his earning potential is reliant on his team's success.
Swans will feature this year, and for at least the next 2 or 3 years as genuine contenders.
If we win Buddy can lay claim to being 'the reason' we won and market himself accordingly.
I'm not talking about selling footy stuff where he will make shitloads anyway...personal sponsorship is where the money is at.

Buddy chose Swans over GWS because he is a competive beast! He wants Premierships not 40 possessions for Supercoach lovers everyweek! If I was leaving a strong club then I would do what Bud did and not that selfish Supercoach king did..go for Glory while making money! Me thinks Buds a lot more smarter than people give him credit for.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Buddy chose Swans over GWS because he is a competive beast! He wants Premierships not 40 possessions for Supercoach lovers everyweek! If I was leaving a strong club then I would do what Bud did and not that selfish Supercoach king did..go for Glory while making money! Me thinks Buds a lot more smarter than people give him credit for.
thats what i have been saying

Just goes to prove how much more important the big Ruff is to us than Judas ever was! 2 games this year Port & Freo with him out suspended we lost. Granted he may or may not got us over the line?
Our record when Bud wasn't in the side was very healthy, we won a lot more than we lost. Proof is in the pudding fellas.

Just goes to prove how much more important the big Ruff is to us than Judas ever was! 2 games this year Port & Freo with him out suspended we lost. Granted he may or may not got us over the line?
Our record when Bud wasn't in the side was very healthy, we won a lot more than we lost. Proof is in the pudding fellas.
Ah, no
It's not that simple!

When Bud was out, we still had Rough, Gunston and Hale as tall marking forwards, along with Bruest and Rioli
When Rough was out, we had Gunston and Hale as tall marking forwards, along with Bruest
(Hale is in poor form, and Rioli is out injured)

It's interesting how supporters from lots of clubs boo him these days and give him grief over his defection. They disliked him when he was playing at the hawks but they dislike him even more now that he is at Sydney

Seeing as he has been cleared by the MRP is he going to get the Brownlow, perhaps jointly with Ablett? Plus a Sydney premiership? It is all possible with the AFL.

Seeing as he has been cleared by the MRP is he going to get the Brownlow, perhaps jointly with Ablett? Plus a Sydney premiership? It is all possible with the AFL.

the treble..coleman, brownlow and flag...me thinks the other clubs will have a say in one or two of these...they can wish all they want!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back