Draft Profile Harry McKay and Ben McKay

Remove this Banner Ad

Sugar2Sideshow

All Australian
Sep 7, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I've seen phantoms with harry between 10 and 20 and Ben between 20 and 30. Is there any chance of North getting either of them with our first or second picks respectively?

How funny would it be if Carlton selected the 'Wrong' McKay

North fans wont let them hear the end of it

The draft involves a lot of future gazing.

We selected the right McKay in that we selected the one rated around where he was taken, the one with more exposed form up forward and the one rated higher than his brother according to almost all draft watchers.

If Ben ends up better than Harry, that will be due to development, individual drive, other factors. Carlton's decision will still have been the right one at the time they made it.

We already know that Richmond have the 'Wrong' Rioli

You better be praying thats true, Carlton had 3 selections before richmond and if Rioli turns out to be a ripper like all the other gun players that SOS has missed out on in his time at GWS - There will be a hell of alot of fun on these boards at the expense of Carlton.

Is your name really Geoff or is this a joke

You better be praying thats true, Carlton had 3 selections before richmond and if Rioli turns out to be a ripper like all the other gun players that SOS has missed out on in his time at GWS - There will be a hell of alot of fun on these boards at the expense of Carlton.

Is your name really Geoff or is this a joke
Name is not Geoff, was a humorous quote from the movie 22 jump street.

If Rioli turns out to be a gun, everyone will applaud Richmond for seeing the potential no one else could, much like the Carlton/Cripps scenario.
No egg will be on Carlton or Silvagni's face as it would have been outrageous for the blues to pick him in the first round on exposed form/ability.

If he doesn't turn out to be a ripper however...non-Richmond fans should quickly buy lots of shares in chicken litter and microwaves, sit back and enjoy!

Again, the sensible person would think 'Rioli was not rated anywhere near Carlton's first 3 picks and Carlton have more important priorities than a small forward'. Time will tell how many sensible people there are if Rioli does better than the players we did take. I guess they would also have to take shots at Essendon, Melbourne and Adelaide with their 2 picks each ahead of Richmond ... unless common sense suddenly kicks in when it comes to those teams.

Again, the sensible person would think 'Rioli was not rated anywhere near Carlton's first 3 picks and Carlton have more important priorities than a small forward'. Time will tell how many sensible people there are if Rioli does better than the players we did take. I guess they would also have to take shots at Essendon, Melbourne and Adelaide with their 2 picks each ahead of Richmond ... unless common sense suddenly kicks in when it comes to those teams.

No doubt that Carlton have more pressing issue's, Rioli was rated probably in the late teens as the Hawks were extremely keen
So Carltons selection just before (#11) would have been a possibility
Position really should not come into it in carltons case as Carlton needed players in 'Every' position and selecting rioli would not have made a huge difference to the structural balance so early in a rebuild -

Name is not Geoff, was a humorous quote from the movie 22 jump street.

If Rioli turns out to be a gun, everyone will applaud Richmond for seeing the potential no one else could, much like the Carlton/Cripps scenario.
No egg will be on Carlton or Silvagni's face as it would have been outrageous for the blues to pick him in the first round on exposed form/ability.

If he doesn't turn out to be a ripper however...non-Richmond fans should quickly buy lots of shares in chicken litter and microwaves, sit back and enjoy!

Not Really After hitting the target with pretty much the last 10 1st rounders, I dont think that is so important for richmond and i rate our later selections and our trades as more of a priority like Townsend,Moore,Yarran and even Marcon

Rioli is a speculative selection that may or may not come off and will be considered a 'Bonus' If he is any more than a 20-25 goal a year small foward but the small speedy goal kicking foward is a position that we are extremely desperate to fill as once the ball hits the ground we were relying on the steven morris types to be the crumber and also the defensive foward we have missed since Jake King retired

Not Really After hitting the target with pretty much the last 10 1st rounders, I dont think that is so important for richmond and i rate our later selections and our trades as more of a priority like Townsend,Moore,Yarran and even Marcon

Rioli is a speculative selection that may or may not come off and will be considered a 'Bonus' If he is any more than a 20-25 goal a year small foward but the small speedy goal kicking foward is a position that we are extremely desperate to fill as once the ball hits the ground we were relying on the steven morris types to be the crumber and also the defensive foward we have missed since Jake King retired
Haha what!!

I can't think of 1 A-grader Richmond have recruited through the draft since Dustin Martin

Haha what!!

I can't think of 1 A-grader Richmond have recruited through the draft since Dustin Martin
Ohh Dear, So you are expecting a player to become an A grader in 4-5 years
Not all players will be A graders to be good quality selections and there would be lucky to get 1-2 A graders per year so your comment is silly
Richmonds last 10 years of 1st round selections have been very very solid and every single one of these players would be a walk up start at carlton in 2016

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ohh Dear, So you are expecting a player to become an A grader in 4-5 years
Not all players will be A graders to be good quality selections and there would be lucky to get 1-2 A graders per year so your comment is silly
Richmonds last 10 years of 1st round selections have been very very solid and every single one of these players would be a walk up start at carlton in 2016

Of coarse you'd expect a player to become an a-grader within in 4-5 years!

Cripps is already an A-grader, Dustin Martin was well and truly an A-grader by 2013 which was his 3rd season.

Richmond have recruited nothing but B-C graders since 2009

I doubt Todd Elton (whoever that is) would be a 'walk up start' in carlton's best 22 as you put it

The draft involves a lot of future gazing.

We selected the right McKay in that we selected the one rated around where he was taken, the one with more exposed form up forward and the one rated higher than his brother according to almost all draft watchers.

If Ben ends up better than Harry, that will be due to development, individual drive, other factors. Carlton's decision will still have been the right one at the time they made it.

I love how you already have an excuse planned. End of the day regardless of the reasons you made the move, the wrong results are the wrong results.

I love how you already have an excuse planned. End of the day regardless of the reasons you made the move, the wrong results are the wrong results.

Well maybe for those that use hindsight to point score on an internet forum. You can second guess all draft watchers and recruiters then. Nothing particularly clever about it either.

Fact is there is a lot more to churning out good players than just selecting them in the draft. Development and injuries have a say.

Excuse ready ... yeah or just realistic and not interested in shallow 'lolz' debates.

Well maybe for those that use hindsight to point score on an internet forum. You can second guess all draft watchers and recruiters then. Nothing particularly clever about it either.

Fact is there is a lot more to churning out good players than just selecting them in the draft. Development and injuries have a say.

Excuse ready ... yeah or just realistic and not interested in shallow 'lolz' debates.

Right, well I hope that taking part in a debate you're definitely not at all interested in has given you the smug feeling of superiority you're looking for.

Right, well I hope that taking part in a debate you're definitely not at all interested in has given you the smug feeling of superiority you're looking for.

Comprehension fail. I'm saying I'm not interested in low brow lolz arguments in regards to draft busts in hindsight, especially when the decision was sound by all logic and reasoning at the time. Boekhorst might be an argument if he fails, Bootsma was an argument. Both were fair reaches. Harry McKay ... not a reach. Needs and draft ratings ... not a reach. If he turns out a bust, the shallow lolz indicated here will be basically full of s**t.

You're one to talk about smugness though.

Comprehension fail. I'm saying I'm not interested in low brow lolz arguments in regards to draft busts in hindsight, especially when the decision was sound by all logic and reasoning at the time. Boekhorst might be an argument if he fails, Bootsma was an argument. Both were fair reaches. Harry McKay ... not a reach. Needs and draft ratings ... not a reach. If he turns out a bust, the shallow lolz indicated here will be basically full of s**t.

You're one to talk about smugness though.

I do agree with you in saying that there's a lot more to the development of a player than simply picking a good one, sitting back and letting them rip, and in the potential event that Ben does turn out the better twin, it could be more the environmental factors/superior development program/a bit of luck that is the cause, rather than a specific advantage that should've been seen at draft time.

And for what it's worth I'm definitely not in the camp of saying Ben will be the better twin, to be honest as I see it both of them have very little proven form under their belts and were two of the most potential-based decisions in the draft.

Still, I just find it an odd thing when people already have a deflection lined up for when things fail. What does it matter if you can claim "it was the right choice at the time"? It either gets results or it doesn't, end of story.

Further to that, fictionalising a future situation where people are behaving foolishly (which they of course would be if behaving as you described, not that it's particularly relevant), and then getting mad at those hypothetical, fictional people for their hypothetical, fictional behaviour has all the hallmarks of someone looking to stroke their own ego.

I do understand the point you're trying to make though, so fair enough. Who knows, perhaps I'm straw-manning your argument a little too much.

Still, I just find it an odd thing when people already have a deflection lined up for when things fail. What does it matter if you can claim "it was the right choice at the time"? It either gets results or it doesn't, end of story.

It's not a deflection. There shouldn't be anything to deflect.

Further to that, fictionalising a future situation where people are behaving foolishly (which they of course would be if behaving as you described, not that it's particularly relevant), and then getting mad at those hypothetical, fictional people for their hypothetical, fictional behaviour has all the hallmarks of someone looking to stroke their own ego.

You did read the post I originally responded to right? The one that said how funny it would be if Ben ended up better than Harry and North fans not letting us hear the end of it? So I responded to someone else fictionaising a future situation.

I do understand the point you're trying to make though, so fair enough. Who knows, perhaps I'm straw-manning your argument a little too much.

Yeah maybe you are. Perhaps that also has the hallmarks of someone looking to stroke their own ego.

Psychoanalysis is fun huh?

It's not a deflection. There shouldn't be anything to deflect.

You did read the post I originally responded to right? The one that said how funny it would be if Ben ended up better than Harry and North fans not letting us hear the end of it? So I responded to someone else fictionaising a future situation.

Yeah maybe you are. Perhaps that also has the hallmarks of someone looking to stroke their own ego.

Psychoanalysis is fun huh?

Nah, I save that for the Bay.

How is it that tossers like the self named 'the gun' hijack a good post like this.

I thought it was about the Mckay twins, yet somehow this fool brings it down to a Richmond are better than Carlton thread. Please ignore him and stay on topic.

Good sizes (200cm/95kg) and move well. Carlton obviously happy to take the higher rated Harry as a KPF as they'd already picked up a KPD in weitering. From all reports Harry is the extrovert and Ben the introvert. A bit of upside as younger than most in the draft.

Hopefully we both got good ones! Would be funny to watch them line up on each other..

412685-tlsgalleryportrait.jpg

Do you even lift?

McKays turn 18 on Christmas Eve. Younger than Jack Silvagni. :drunk:

McKay, Curnow and SOSOS could be an exciting group if they develop together.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back