Wii/U The Nintendo Wii U thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: New HD Nintendo Console

Far out Nintendo seem to be handling this thing extremely poorly.

What nobody has seemed to realise right now is how badly this is going to hurt the industry and potentially set console gaming BACK a number of years.

First off, since this will become another HD console it means that not only will games become that much more expensive to make. But developers will have to start developing on 3, potentially 4 platforms at once! We already see bad ports from time to time between 2 platform titles, imagine what 3 or 4 platforms being developed for will do to the quality of titles. Especially when all of a sudden developers are having to completely learn the Nintendo's hardware and how it ticks.

Then we get into the next-gen of consoles. Again if we have to see HD titles for the Nintendo then it means that developers will have to severely hold back their titles from becoming truly capable of what these next machines will have to offer (which is also going to be potentially limitless if we move into an online only mode...something like an OnLive). We'll have devs having to develop their titles on what may be superior to the PS3/360 hardware, but what will be significantly handicapped to what the PS4/720 or whatever the next versions of platforms are. Since we're not likely to see those for another 3+ years.

God damn Nintendo. First they bring hardcore gaming to it's knees with the biggest casual audience ever making devs bring out shovelware after shovelware, now they're going to potentially kill it off by stagnating the entire system with this new console!

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU:mad:

Far out Nintendo seem to be handling this thing extremely poorly.

What nobody has seemed to realise right now is how badly this is going to hurt the industry and potentially set console gaming BACK a number of years.

First off, since this will become another HD console it means that not only will games become that much more expensive to make. But developers will have to start developing on 3, potentially 4 platforms at once! We already see bad ports from time to time between 2 platform titles, imagine what 3 or 4 platforms being developed for will do to the quality of titles. Especially when all of a sudden developers are having to completely learn the Nintendo's hardware and how it ticks.

Then we get into the next-gen of consoles. Again if we have to see HD titles for the Nintendo then it means that developers will have to severely hold back their titles from becoming truly capable of what these next machines will have to offer (which is also going to be potentially limitless if we move into an online only mode...something like an OnLive). We'll have devs having to develop their titles on what may be superior to the PS3/360 hardware, but what will be significantly handicapped to what the PS4/720 or whatever the next versions of platforms are. Since we're not likely to see those for another 3+ years.

God damn Nintendo. First they bring hardcore gaming to it's knees with the biggest casual audience ever making devs bring out shovelware after shovelware, now they're going to potentially kill it off by stagnating the entire system with this new console!

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU:mad:

Sort of like how the PS2 did the same with the Xbox and GameCube?

(both Xbox and GC has superior graphics but most games were made for PS2 so they weren't the best they could be).

(both Xbox and GC has superior graphics but most games were made for PS2 so they weren't the best they could be).

There is that, and also the demise of Sega

In a way yes, the difference was that there was significant reason why the PS2 was being developed for first (since it had a huge lead over the other 2 consoles in sales already).

This HD Wii will suddenly be coming into a market 5+ years into it's lifetime and instantly starting behind the 8-ball, they're 100 million units behind in the HD race, that won't be easy to bring back.

How long will Nintendo support the sub-HD Wii with titles and will it bring out it's extensive list of 1st party titles to that console as well as the HD one? Would be pretty bad to neglect an audience of 80 million plus just because you want a few more $$$...and let's face it that is what it is, there isn't a lot of Wii fans calling for a new console (which was different to the XBOX and PS2 fans). We may even see something of a double compatibility for the first batch of Wii HD games, in that they can be played on the regular Wii as well as the Wii HD.

The main problem is going to come down to prioritisation. First off developers have to learn the new hardware, this is known to take at least 1-2 years and beyond that depending on how crazy the hardware is could take up to 5 (we're still seeing devs only now figuring out the PS3!).

So it's all going to depend on how much time and work developers are willing to put into a console that may not even be relevant in a few years time. It could very well go the way of the GC (in fact if you ask me that's exactly what it's heading for only with a FARRRRRRRRR worse list of titles).

Then it will also come down to how ahead of the PS3 and 360 this machine supposedly is technically speaking. Realistically this thing needs to be better than a Crysis maximum settings PC with PLENTY of room to move otherwise it will get left behind once the new set of consoles arrive. But then you look at it and sort of think, what would be the motivation to making an expensive console with huge potential if that will never be used since the other 2 consoles will clearly take precedence in the development race over the next few years at least?

I dunno, I'm very worried with how this is going to approach the market and what it may do to gaming in the next few years.

Everything's going to be ok Heartbreakkidsixonenine. It won't hurt the industry. Say what you want about the shovelware it's bought new people to gaming, even if it is a lesser form of gaming. The Wii had more shovelware but it has had better list of titles than the gamecube. It's irrelevant how many bad games they have, it's how many good games they have. Any timing issues are Nintendo's cross to bare, I don't think it will affect Sony or Microsoft that much at all. If the power of the console is truly next gen (I don't think it will be) then fair enough, like it or not the onus is on Sony and Microsoft to release a new console or . That's the free market for ya.

The thing that is hurting the industry is time restraints on games. A COD every year means they won't progress that far but they are still very successful which will mean other companies will need to keep up. Hopefully some other franchises don't follow suit, otherwise the games will be diluted.

Everything's going to be ok Heartbreakkidsixonenine.
[YOUTUBE]Tgf4zq0bi_w[/YOUTUBE]Will you hold me?:(

Nintendo fans are loyal, all Nintendo need to do is release a console, LOZ, a few Mario games/Mario Kart/Smash Bros games and a few other 1st party games, plus the inevitable 3rd party trash and treasure collection and away they go printing money again.

But i hope the rumours of this system making an appearance are true. How long has it been since the wii dropped, they say each system is meant to have around a 5 year time span right?

There are rumors going around that Rockstar Games are already in possesion of development kit for the platform. If so it seems strange considering Nintendo's family friendly policy.
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...ames-on-board-with-next-nintendo-console.aspx
They did make GTA Chinatown Wars on DS.
Also Manhunt 2 & Bully have been released on the console (as well as Rockstars Table Tennis game).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

how-could-the-wii-2-controller-work-20110415053115064-000.jpg

54071.png

54073.png

54075.png

This has flop written all over it. The casual gamer market they tapped into with the Wii will not be interested in my opinion. But obviously still very early days

Looks like it'll be ridiculously expensive. It'll need to do well, very fast otherwise it'll sink fast. It's like Nintendo don't mind losing millions upon millions of dollars for this new console, very strange since they have the market down.

I wasn't on BigFooty at the time, but I'd love to see what people were saying about the Wii when it was at this point.
Wasn't much of a board back then, so would be hard to find the posts.

I know I did say it would fail.:eek:

But was mainly for the gimmick and I did get it right that people wouldn't really care about it after getting it.

This doesn't exactly have the same type of casual gimmick going for it, just a really expensive one. Imagine breaking a controller!:eek:

To be fair to HBK at the time he was and still is a massive sony fanboi.
HBK, 2005: Motion Controls? stupid gimmick that will never catch on. I bet I will never use them, Sony would never do something this stupid

HBK, 2010: OMG the Playstation Move look so awesome. Will get it day 1. Well Done Sony!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back