Wii/U The Nintendo Wii U thread

Remove this Banner Ad

WiiU-ConsoleBody-580x326.jpg

new-nintendo-wii-e3-small.png

[youtube]arHNcSMXaBk[/youtube]

Honestly, I'm looking forward to this console and I'm hoping Nintendo can pull it off well with decent third party support.

Anyone else planning on getting one? Will be interesting to hear the price and release date.

Also, was reading before that you can only connect one controller with the screen at a time??? The rest of the controllers need to be Wii-motes.

Can anyone confirm this? Pretty crap if true.

I've also heard about the one controller rumour. Would hold things back a fair bit imo. The screen looks pretty call for shooting games.

Pretty loyal to Sony but if this thing can get decent games then I'd definitely be inclined to get one!

Edit: Actually hang on - I just realised this won't be a portal gaming system. I assume you need the console within range to play it. Hmm, was hoping I could take it around anywhere and play as well. All depends on how far away from the console you can be.

The only thing I'm really looking forward to on this is Pikmin. That screen would work well with Pikmin.

As much as I love Smash Bros. I might have to get a 3DS for that instead...

Also, was reading before that you can only connect one controller with the screen at a time??? The rest of the controllers need to be Wii-motes.

Can anyone confirm this? Pretty crap if true.
Can you imagine the fights that will go on in house with the kiddies about that one lol

Can you imagine the fights that will go on in house with the kiddies about that one lol
Nintendo confirmed that you can't buy the controller separate. So it looks like you can only use the one WiiU controller, ever. Unless yours breaks and you're prepared to get raped anally by Nintendo.

Also you spelt the thread title right this time JR, congrats.

I am quite confused...

The picture at the top is the new console? And the 3rd picture down is the controller? And if someone else wants to watch something you can play the game on the controller?

I'm way off aren't I?

I am quite confused...

The picture at the top is the new console? And the 3rd picture down is the controller? And if someone else wants to watch something you can play the game on the controller?

I'm way off aren't I?
No, you're pretty much spot on

The tech in it is interesting, better than wii-mote, but it's a bit of a thing to lug and use for general purpose gaming compared to using a 360 or ps3 controller that we're all used to. I'm imagining trying to use that whilst playing Madden, and it would be too much of a handful. Or playing COD, the tech aspects for a FPSer could be good, but at the same time distracting. You'd hold it in your lap and just watch from the large-screen tv making the screen useless to have, otherwise you wouldn't be holding that thing up in the air aiming and motioning around, would get too tiring.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Am I the only one that is really unimpressed? I can understand the appeal of the original Wii, but this one just seems too...complicated.

Am I the only one that is really unimpressed? I can understand the appeal of the original Wii, but this one just seems too...complicated.

Nah I thought this too as soon as I watched the vid from E3 mate. There shouldn't be any need to overcomplicate things. If people want a Wii they buy a Wii, if people want a DS they buy a DS. No need to combine the two imo.

Obviously the original Wii did need some work (HD graphics, more power under the hood, more storage, etc) but I think this touch screen "second TV" remote is a bit of a gimmick.

Nintendo released technical specifications of the Wii U hardware, noting that aspects are subject to change.

Processors:

CPU: IBM Power-based multi-core 45 nm microprocessor
GPU: Custom-designed AMD Radeon HD GPU

Size

Approximately 1.8 inches tall, 6.8 inches wide and 10.5 inches long

Storage:

Internal flash memory expandable via SD memory card slot and USB slots (4) using a USB hard disk drive
Slot-loading disc drive compatible with 12-cm 25 GB capacity "proprietary high-density optical discs" and 12-cm Wii optical discs

Controller:

Built-in accelerometer, gyroscope, speakers, front-facing camera, microphone and a 6.2 inch touchscreen
Two Circle Pads and one Digital Pad
Select, Start, Home and Power Buttons
A/B/X/Y front buttons, L/R bumper buttons and ZL/ZR trigger buttons

Video:

1080p, 1080i, 720p, 480p and 480i output
Compatible with HDMI, component, D-Terminal (Japan only), RGB-SCART (EU only), S-video and composite cables

Audio

AV Multi Out port. Six-channel PCM linear output through HDMI

6char.

I second this.

I still can't see why anyone would conceivably want a screen on their controller if they have a HD TV right in front of them. Sure it's fine if you need to go have a s**t while playing (depending on the signal length) or if by chance you don't already have 100% control of that TV. But then, why would you want a portable console as your home console?!
Hope this gets Sony and ms pant shitting I long for the days of Sega and Nintendo then daylight ;)
Sega? AHAHAHA Sega are absolutely long gone.
Price point is going to be massive with this new machine. Generally the new consoles can't go for less than $700-$800, but Nintendo can't really let this thing be a drawn out console, it needs to hit the ground running and be priced competitively with the PS3/360 otherwise it's set to flounder bad!

The technology is already there in the vita. Sony and MS will come out with their own wii-u controller.

I think this time Nintendo are on the ball....the console's specs itself + the new controller is a very classy innovation. Tho i can see some drawbacks for general gaming use (holding a massive controller and trying to wave it around etc), and that you can only use one per console (??), devs will find many cool ways that it will be useful for certain games.

I second this.

I still can't see why anyone would conceivably want a screen on their controller if they have a HD TV right in front of them. Sure it's fine if you need to go have a s**t while playing (depending on the signal length) or if by chance you don't already have 100% control of that TV. But then, why would you want a portable console as your home console?

If they dislike it that much they can just use the Wiimote.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back