Pets Things that please me

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
All the women in my family have been excellent home cooks, nothing masterchef like, but really tasty, filling, heart food. My dad is one dimensional, makes a great pasta but literally nothing else (no, we aren't Italian). Being a DIDO worker spending months living by himself at a time I thought he might have learned a bit more over his life, but nope, Just that pasta.

I reckon I cook a mean steak, stir fry, or deep fried things, but outside of that pretty useless. I take pride in my simple man food and doing it exceptionally. A mate came around the other night and cooked some chops, now I don't wanna sound ungrateful, but I really wish I had cooked them.

Is there a social change happening in kitchens where men not only do a good deal of the cooking, but enjoy it?
We are family I think

All the women in my family have been excellent home cooks, nothing masterchef like, but really tasty, filling, heart food. My dad is one dimensional, makes a great pasta but literally nothing else (no, we aren't Italian). Being a DIDO worker spending months living by himself at a time I thought he might have learned a bit more over his life, but nope, Just that pasta.

I reckon I cook a mean steak, stir fry, or deep fried things, but outside of that pretty useless. I take pride in my simple man food and doing it exceptionally. A mate came around the other night and cooked some chops, now I don't wanna sound ungrateful, but I really wish I had cooked them.

Is there a social change happening in kitchens where men not only do a good deal of the cooking, but enjoy it?

I cook and enjoy, as a fat campaigner I love food so it's kind of necessary. Plus if you're the cook you can do it the way you want. Plenty of garlic? Sure!

But you don't need to use blood oranges, quinoa or whatever ingredient is flavour of the month. Good fresh food doesn't need much with it, if you've got a good quality steak salt and pepper is all it needs for example.

Like a lot of people in this thread I find cooking therapeutic.
I paint like I have Parkinsons. Musical ability is not great, but I play guitar and also find that therapeutic.

Yeah cooking and guitar are great. My guitar ability ain't great either but I find if you have enough distortion and it's loud enough you don't really give a * anyway!

Are you good at making stuff by just throwing stuff together and not following a recipe?
On occasion. Sometimes I just chuck any old thing in; and others I take an existing recipe and tweak it in some way.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

I cook and enjoy, as a fat campaigner I love food so it's kind of necessary. Plus if you're the cook you can do it the way you want. Plenty of garlic? Sure!

But you don't need to use blood oranges, quinoa or whatever ingredient is flavour of the month. Good fresh food doesn't need much with it, if you've got a good quality steak salt and pepper is all it needs for example.

so true. though somtimes i just need some fast food like nandos

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I learned how to cook from cooking shows and youtube.

Cookbook? I do have a couple buried deep in a cardboard box but never really used them.

I can curry up anything. Chickpeas, lentils, potato, goat. Not so much the goat these days though as I stick to mostly vegan food.

Sometimes I use a paste, sometimes I just mix some powders together in the right ratio.

Use cookbooks for ideas not necessarily recipes. Unless you stick to a pretty boring diet of cooking 4-5 staples perpetually, you have to get new ideas from somewhere.

If there's an ingredient I specifically want to use, that's always a good place to start, otherwise * trawling through Internet cooking pages.

I only have a few cookbooks, everything else I get off the net. Looking US recipe websites is intersting though, I don't if anyone else has noticed that American food is quite different to ours, the recipes all seem to be sweeter, and the Mexican influence pronounced.

Yeah they use some weird ingredients. Baking is harder cause you kind of have to be exact, I don't do much of it anyway. If you're cooking you can be a bit more approximate and interchangeable with ingredients.

If you watch those American BBQ shows they pretty much put sugar in all of their meat rubs. With pork I get it for sure, not sure it's needed for beef or lamb personally.

I only have a few cookbooks, everything else I get off the net. Looking US recipe websites is intersting though, I don't if anyone else has noticed that American food is quite different to ours, the recipes all seem to be sweeter, and the Mexican influence pronounced.
so much US stuff is that sweet its actually disgusting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back