UFC 142 - Aldo vs Mendes

Remove this Banner Ad

However, I was even more disappointed by Joe Rogan's reaction. Now I'm a huge fan of Rogan, but the way he seemed to put the ref on the spot and dispute his call was not kewl at all.

And that is why I love Rogan, most commentators just sit there and take it. If he disagrees with something he lets ya know. Its good stuff

And that is why I love Rogan, most commentators just sit there and take it. If he disagrees with something he lets ya know. Its good stuff
Yeah, that's the difference between UFC/Soccer/other sports and AFL. People aren't allowed to publicly voice their dissapointment at judges/referee decisions otherwise they risk possible fines and the like. This is what we've come to accept as the norm because of the AFL's stance on it.

FWIW I thought Gonzaga looked sluggish and uninspiring. His physique nor his movement or intent impressed me, I expected a bit more from him in that he didn't really look capable of taking out a high quality opponent had he b e e n matched up against a Velasquez, Carwin, Lesnar etc.

Yeah, that's the difference between UFC/Soccer/other sports and AFL. People aren't allowed to publicly voice their dissapointment at judges/referee decisions otherwise they risk possible fines and the like. This is what we've come to accept as the norm because of the AFL's stance on it.
By all means, dispute the decision, but putting a microphone under Yamasaki's nose like he did just wasn't right.

FWIW I thought Gonzaga looked sluggish and uninspiring. His physique nor his movement or intent impressed me, I expected a bit more from him in that he didn't really look capable of taking out a high quality opponent had he b e e n matched up against a Velasquez, Carwin, Lesnar etc.
Bit harsh. He got the job done against a dangerous opponent.

Vitor Belfort vs Anthony Johnson - Belfort did well to finish Johnson, but I thought this fight was marred by the refereeing of Dan Mirgliotta. Three times Johnson looked to be in a pretty good position and the fight was stood up. Not kewl. Given that Belfort was the hometown favourite and the hit Johnson took to his credibility coming in overweight, you do have to wonder whether the ref may have had a little instruction there. I sure hope it's not a sign of things to come in the UFC. :confused:
Standups did seem a little quick but I think it may have been more a case of the fans getting into the refs head. I wouldn't want such quick standups to happen in the future but on this occasion I think they made little difference to the outcome. Johnson would have been dead tired at the end of the first round from laying on Belfort and it would have been all but over from there.

Disappointing for Silva and proof that the UFC needs some kind of replay judge. To expect a ref to make a call like that with the naked eye just isn't right. However, I was even more disappointed by Joe Rogan's reaction. Now I'm a huge fan of Rogan, but the way he seemed to put the ref on the spot and dispute his call was not kewl at all.
I think Rogan went over the top too. I have no problem with him asking the ref why he decided to make the call but the interrogation was a bit extreme.

I don't think he looked sluggish. He was fighting someone who is meant to be a good striker, he trains with JDS after all. He didn't get hit at all according to fightmetric, stayed out of range and when the opportunity arose he got the fight to the ground and finished it rather quickly. About not looking like he could take out the top guys, that's probably because he can't.

Yeah I agree with re: putting Yamasaki on the spot. I saw Dana White tweeted that he thought it was a BS call too.

Probably was a bit harsh, I just thought he looked very lacklustre out there.

So thats definitely the real Dana's twitter? Some of the s**t he tweets seems a bit iffy thats all

My delayed thoughts:

Great to see Aldo back to his WEC form, but the fence grab should have been punished. He was on his way to getting dumped and it definitely changed the course of the round. He likely would have won anyway as I thought his leg kicks had Mendes very worried. Wouldn't be surprised to see Jose step up for a "test the water" fight at 155 next as I'll be buggered if I can think of who gets next crack at the 145 title.

Johnson got what was coming to him in the end. His obsession with size has cost him at 170 and it did so again at 185. He's such a talent that it would be disappointing for this to be his last fight in the big show, but until he proves he can consistantly make whichever weight he chooses to fight at I can't see him back. Vitor didn't look great, but did enough to come away with the win and moves on to TUF Brazil where he hopefully doesn't kill Wandy in the end of season fight.

Massenzio always seemed like an odd match up for Palhares to me. Went down exactly as I thought it would. He looked decent against Cantwell who is no world beater, so another guy around that level would have made more sense to me. I'm hoping Palhares fights a guy like Belcher next who can give him fits on the feet and can hold his own on the ground.

If Silva deserved to get DQ'd, then a guy like Belfort definitely should have 2 less UFC wins. His wins against Franklin and Akiyama had finishing blows much more blatant than anything Silva threw! Having said that, he handled it beautifully and like others have said most people will view it as a win. I'd love to see him step up against a guy like Ebersole next to test his grappling chops (which are meant to be very impressive).

I've always been an Etim fan and didn't like to see him go out like that, but that KO was epic! I remember thinking how much of a tease Barboza was during the fight.... he'll look spectacular when he throws, but didn't throw enough to finish guys when the kick happened. His takedown defense looked terrific too and I'd love to see him in a real step up for his next fight. Nate Diaz is the guy I want him in with.

Tavares vs Stout was decent and I had no problem with the decision. Tavares' striking looked pretty good and he was never bothered by Stout's power until the last 20 seconds. I'd like to see him fight a guy like Lauzon next in what would be a fun grappling match up.

Was good to see Gonzaga back and beating an opponent who had a bit of hype behind him. He seems serious about getting back to his BJJ roots and will be a handful for most if he can polish up his takedowns. Big foot's looking for an opponent in April and I think Gabe would be a good fight for him.

Easy to say now but I'm fairly confident that if Aldo didn't grab the fence and was taken down that he would've just popped back up anyway. Best case scenario is Mendes grinds out the round and gets KO'd in the next. He just doesn't have the weaponry to beat Aldo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back