Victoria Election - 29 November 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Libs criticizing labour as a closed for business govt is up there in the hypocricy stakes

Bailleu was do nothing for two years and napthine has been make flash videos about everything since then

Not sure theyd want to be measured on their actual performance, trouble is people cant catch a youtube to work

I'd hardly call it a pair he hasn't ruled out it continuing, just that he would cancel the contract if it wasn't legal instead of fighting on, so really just a step in the right direction.
Fairly conclusive position I would have thought.

The Naphine Government position is arrogance writ large. To sign a contract of those dimensions when there are so many transport planners with questions over its viability and effectiveness as a traffic alleviation measure without having taken it to the people is a disgrace.

Fairly conclusive position I would have thought.

The Naphine Government position is arrogance writ large. To sign a contract of those dimensions when there are so many transport planners with questions over its viability and effectiveness as a traffic alleviation measure without having taken it to the people is a disgrace.
Don't get me wrong I'm much happier with Andrews' position than Napthine's, just pointing out that he's left himself some wiggle room.

I have an election slogan for napthine

"Dont elect a new government, its crazy. If you want proof look how useless weve been for three years"

To me thats the rub, do you change government an take a hit that it will take a while to reprioritising the infrastructure pipeline, and victorian economy going even worse till it sorts out.

Or do you trust that while the current lot have been appalling for three years, they now seem to have a plan and at least something will happen. Even if its the wrong priority at least its something. How much of their promises are just slick videos we will all look back on and laugh at though ?

Long term alp is the only choice, but its a contest for the short term

I'd hardly call it a pair he hasn't ruled out it continuing, just that he would cancel the contract if it wasn't legal instead of fighting on, so really just a step in the right direction.
Andrews has won this battle, Napthine will be pissed. Financiers are not wanting to sign on until after the court cases are decided which means after the election.

We now basically have a referendum on which infrastructure plan we want to go with the E-W tunnel or Labor, will also put the Libs costings of the tunnel under the microscope and that will only be bad news for Napthine.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/e...rs-postpone-construction-20140911-10fo07.html

Andrews has won this battle, Napthine will be pissed. Financiers are not wanting to sign on until after the court cases are decided which means after the election.

We now basically have a referendum on which infrastructure plan we want to go with the E-W tunnel or Labor, will also put the Libs costings of the tunnel under the microscope and that will only be bad news for Napthine.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/e...rs-postpone-construction-20140911-10fo07.html
Yeah the Herald Sun is not happy, they've appeared to go Full *.

A lot of voters in swinging seats are now bitching about it. Andrews has fully gone back on his words much like with what he did through the Shaw situation.

A lot of voters in swinging seats are now bitching about it. Andrews has fully gone back on his words much like with what he did through the Shaw situation.

Waaaaaahhhh.

The E-W link is only going to help those in the leafy suburbs in the east..all liberal seats.

There would be not one single swinging voter in a marginal seat who would give a fat rats clacker.

Waaaaaahhhh.

The E-W link is only going to help those in the leafy suburbs in the east..all liberal seats.

There would be not one single swinging voter in a marginal seat who would give a fat rats clacker.
Also those people in the leafy suburbs wanted the train line.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Waaaaaahhhh.

The outer and central east seats are marginal.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/east-west-link-project-stalls-as-financiers-postpone-construction-20140911-10fo07.html

Other than the rail crossings, what is Labor's infrastructure plan?

Other than the rail crossings, what is Labor's infrastructure plan?
Build the original Melbourne Metro tunnel (via Domain, CBD, Parkville).
Grade separation at 50 railway crossings.
New off-ramp for trucks off the Westgate.
Duplicate fully the Chandler Hwy (i.e. build a second bridge across the Yarra next to the road-converted old outer circle railway bridge which is heritage listed IIRC).

Build the original Melbourne Metro tunnel (via Domain, CBD, Parkville).

You can't build the original metro tunnel because there is already a Transurban tunnel and you don't want to jeopardise the structual integrity of those tunnels by digging underneath them. Remember its Yarra River mud, you have to freeze it before you can dig it out.

Have you factored in the cost of shutting Citylink down while you a digging in the area? I bet Andrew's hasn't.

You can't build the original metro tunnel because there is already a Transurban tunnel and you don't want to jeopardise the structual integrity of those tunnels by digging underneath them. Remember its Yarra River mud, you have to freeze it before you can dig it out.

Have you factored in the cost of shutting Citylink down while you a digging in the area? I bet Andrew's hasn't.
How about just adding additional tunnels to the loop? either below or next to the existing tunnels with new underground platforms at Southern Cross and Flinders St so that the only entrances need to be from North Melbourne and Richmond. One extra for both the Northern Group and the Caulfield Group, because the Cross-City group bullshit that Metro and the State Government came up with doesn't work.

Last edited:
How about just adding additional tunnels to the loop? either below or next to the existing tunnels with new underground platforms at Southern Cross and Flinders St so that the only entrances need to be from North Melbourne and Richmond. One extra for both the Northern Group and the Caulfield Group, because the Cross-City group bullshit that Metro and the State Government came up with doesn't work.

Do you know anything about engineering?

Use a EPB TBM.

http://www.engineeringcivil.com/how...ce-tbm-maintain-stability-of-tunnel-face.html
http://www.therobbinscompany.com/en/our-products/tunnel-boring-machines/earth-pressure-balance/
http://theconversation.com/dig-this-how-to-construct-melbournes-metro-tunnel-safely-12588

Alternatively, we can continue to have a 1960/70s mentality and build another tollroad/freeway as we've done over the past 50 years and fail once again to solve Melbourne's congestion problems :rolleyes:. Citylink was meant to provide an alternative north-south route to free up King St traffic yet King St is still as congested as ever.

Last edited:

They've been digging London underground lines under pre-existing lines for 100 years and London is built on softer ground than Melbourne, it's not that big a deal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back