West Coast 2014-15 offseason thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Just an inquiry.

Selwood's kicking skills are not elite enough for the Hawks hence he is not on the radar and probably not a worthwhile thread. Hawks game is based on the assumption that everyone can pass with absolute accuracy.

After visiting Man Utd some years back, they enquired what to do about less than elite foot skills and they were told in no uncertain terms that you do not recruit less than desired skills in passing. Scooter is great but his kicking at times is sloppy. Brilliant tagger and WCE just need to remember we got Scooter and not Joel so play to Scooter's strengths and not Joel's. He is the ultimate tackling machine.

West Coast need midfielders and a small forward. If you can get Pickett that can cover both Midfielder and small forward.

Waterman is another midfielder, but isn't quick which the Eagles as they have a lot of one paced midfielders. Waterman will be a great pick up.

That leaves the Eagles 2 or 3 round picks to go after a quick midfielder. Garlett/Smith/Mclean/Lonie/Cavka/

West Coast need midfielders and a small forward. If you can get Pickett that can cover both Midfielder and small forward.

Agree, I wasn't originally sold on Pickett but after seeing what the likes of Wingard, Brad Hill and Jetta brought to their teams in the finals we are sorely lacking in that outside player with X-factor who can bust a game open.

Rd 1: Laverde/Ahern/De Goey/Pickett
Rd 2: Menadue/Blakely/Howe
Rd 3: Waterman
Rd 4: Cripps/Bevan
Rd 5: Upgrade Sinclair (if he isnt traded)

Rk 1: J Deluca (small forward/midfielder), Lockyer, Marsh

IMO we need:

- A tall ruckman/fwd (especially if we trade Sinclair, bringing in Cripps/Bevan)
- A small forward/mid (Deluca/Pickett, we already have Karpany and Newman developing)
- An inside/outside mid and an outside line breaker (Laverde, Ahern, De Goey, Menadue, Blakely, Marsh)
- A HBF with good disposal and football smarts (Howe, Lockyer)

Last edited:
Selwood's kicking skills are not elite enough for the Hawks hence he is not on the radar and probably not a worthwhile thread. Hawks game is based on the assumption that everyone can pass with absolute accuracy.

After visiting Man Utd some years back, they enquired what to do about less than elite foot skills and they were told in no uncertain terms that you do not recruit less than desired skills in passing. Scooter is great but his kicking at times is sloppy. Brilliant tagger and WCE just need to remember we got Scooter and not Joel so play to Scooter's strengths and not Joel's. He is the ultimate tackling machine.
Will Langford looks a s**t kick to me.

Rd 1: Laverde/Ahern/De Goey/Pickett
Rd 2: Menadue/Blakely/Howe
Rd 3: Waterman
Rd 4: Cripps/Bevan
Rd 5: Upgrade Sinclair (if he isnt traded)

Rk 1: J Deluca (small forward/midfielder), Lockyer, Marsh

IMO we need:

- A tall ruckman/fwd (especially if we trade Sinclair, bringing in Cripps/Bevan)
- A small forward/mid (Deluca/Pickett, we already have Karpany and Newman developing)
- An inside/outside mid and an outside line breaker (Laverde, Ahern, De Goey, Menadue, Blakely, Marsh)
- A HBF with good disposal and football smarts (Howe, Lockyer)

I think we are pretty well aligned on the needs and the options. I would love Laverde as R1 but sense it will be touch and go. Hence I am hoping we can do a deal with Sinclair to use as an upgrade in picks. Cripps won't last to R4 so we will hope that Waterman is able to go to our R4. Can we go a line breaker like Pickett probably too early or can we roll the dice and hope Jarrod Garlett is still there at R2? Whatever the case, we need some pace.

I think we are pretty well aligned on the needs and the options. I would love Laverde as R1 but sense it will be touch and go. Hence I am hoping we can do a deal with Sinclair to use as an upgrade in picks. Cripps won't last to R4 so we will hope that Waterman is able to go to our R4. Can we go a line breaker like Pickett probably too early or can we roll the dice and hope Jarrod Garlett is still there at R2? Whatever the case, we need some pace.
I think momentum is pushing Laverde to GC via Pick #7.

What do you think pick 10 plus Sinclair would get us?

You are right about Cripps - he will be as high as late 2nd/third round. He does look good as someone who can ruck/KPF. Would be good as a developing tall. Waterman has a high profile - I am still worried that we will have to pay a second rounder. Im not sure if Im sold on Pickett as our first - Simpson wants bigger midfielders and Pickett is only 179cms. He would be great on a HFF to offer some goalkicking, pace and rotation if possible. I like De Goey and Ahern because they can definitely rotate through the midfield. Eastern Rangers who do you prefer for our first? You probably have the most coverage here.

I think momentum is pushing Laverde to GC via Pick #7.

What do you think pick 10 plus Sinclair would get us?

You are right about Cripps - he will be as high as late 2nd/third round. He does look good as someone who can ruck/KPF. Would be good as a developing tall. Waterman has a high profile - I am still worried that we will have to pay a second rounder. Im not sure if Im sold on Pickett as our first - Simpson wants bigger midfielders and Pickett is only 179cms. He would be great on a HFF to offer some goalkicking, pace and rotation if possible. I like De Goey and Ahern because they can definitely rotate through the midfield. Eastern Rangers who do you prefer for our first? You probably have the most coverage here.

IF Melbourne want him and IF they get pick 4 for Frawley, an outside chance of pick 4. Maybe I am wanting it as they get pick 3 and 10 and Sinclair.
Depends if St Kilda trade away pick 1.

I would be happy to go for a late pick for Jared Hardesty. Not fancy but get the job done as an inside mid. Tough as nails and consistently does in.
View attachment 81995
Lack of height worries me, as does his lack of goal-scoring ability.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

-Would be happy to entertain discussions about the likes of Rosa, Schofield, Brown, Sinclair or McInness to swap for the likes of Fasolo, Pat Cripps, Kane Lucas, Rich, Conca and/ or 2nd/3rd round picks. (Adds to our MIDs depth and all under 25)
-Give up our first rounder or players to land the likes of Mitch Duncan and B.Matera

-Throw the kitchen sink at getting Harley Bennell, OMeara or Coniglio!!!

*Will look at J.Garlett & Malceski if it doesn't cost us much
*Speak to Howlett, Myers, Pears if they want to walk out of Bombers for nothing
** Respectful `No Deal' to Mitch Robinson, Lumumba, Leroy Jetta and Hardingham.

Pick 1 should be on the best available player leaning towards a bigger skilful mid.

Pick 2 we should have one of Pickett, Garlett or Clem Smith. I'd be happy with any one of them and Smith has attitude / hardness which I rate as a good attribute to have.

Pick 3 Waterman

Pick 4 ????????

I remember reading Garlett has requested a trade to the Pies. Anyone else see this because I haven't heard anything since?

-
-Throw the kitchen sink at getting Harley Bennell, OMeara or Coniglio!!!

** Respectful `No Deal' to Mitch Robinson, Lumumba, Leroy Jetta and Hardingham.

Fully agree on no to your last line.

Believe the concept of Coniglio for our R1 is being considered. Problem is that Giants have inflated views and little reality and Coniglio was really taken in the teens if you consider his cohort was already snatched up as underager picks (ie Jeremy Cameron). Let's see. Coniglio had an average year but it takes a special beast to a) enjoy western Sydney and b) play each week getting thrashed.

Any interest in Cadwallader? Blistering pace, outstanding skills, could be that outside game breaker. Looked an absolute class above with his skills in the wet on Sunday. Late pick? Rookie?

Any interest in Cadwallader? Blistering pace, outstanding skills, could be that outside game breaker. Looked an absolute class above with his skills in the wet on Sunday. Late pick? Rookie?

reckon his past indiscretions will count against him

Perhaps like Brennan - they went soft on selection criteria due to the romance of a F/S pick
I doubt it. Their style of play really does need a lot of great kicks, but they do have role players doing the tagging or dirty work like Langford and Sewell occasionally and they're not great kicks.

He's improving every game as he gets a handle on the pressure.
I agree, he looks good. Best part about him is he plays with maximum effort and confidence despite being inexperienced and surrounded by stars. Hate seeing young players go into their shells, as if they have to bide their time before they show up veterans with their hunger to win the ball instead of them.

Fully agree on no to your last line.

Believe the concept of Coniglio for our R1 is being considered. Problem is that Giants have inflated views and little reality and Coniglio was really taken in the teens if you consider his cohort was already snatched up as underager picks (ie Jeremy Cameron). Let's see. Coniglio had an average year but it takes a special beast to a) enjoy western Sydney and b) play each week getting thrashed.

Where did you hear this? I think he has a lot of potential and would use our first pick this year to get him.

Played indoor footy against him once. Didn't know who he was until after the game when I asked who that cocky little s**t was. He was pretty damn good obviously.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back