List Mgmt. Who will replace Glass as captain?

Who should captain the Eagles post Darren Glass

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Hurn or Selwood IMO

Would have been nice to see Glass hand it over this year and mentor the new captian a bit.

Freo could make the same mistake if Pav doesn't hand it over soon

Sounds like he's fairly popular among the playing group but given he's just got here and he's a year-to-year (and almost week-to-week) proposition because of his body I doubt he'd get the role.

If he was any chance they would have given him the job this week for his 100th, rather than starting the previous rotation again.

When I think of Hurn I think of a bloke in a checkered shirt and thongs chopping wood in the country pausing to skull a horrible beer maybe a VB in about 1.5 seconds flat......thats right he drinks it flat and warm. 2 border collies run past barking. He tells them to shut the $%*^ up. He wipes the sweat of his forehead and looks up.....a wedge tailed eagle soars overhead and he mutters under his breath "its my time. Its BUNGA time" A captain is born. He would fit the Eagles well I feel reminds me of an 85-95 type captain which I like.

So you want a bogan captain?

Don't get me wrong I have no issue with Hurn as skipper but WTF do you want a VB drinking bogan as captain for?

I also have zero idea what an "85-95 type captain" means?

Perhaps you could enlighten me?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't get me wrong I have no issue with Hurn as skipper but WTF do you want a VB drinking bogan as captain for?

I think he means captains in the mould of those from 1985-1995 ala woosha ect

I wouldn't want a VB drinking bogan.

Make it Export and I might change my mind

I think he means captains in the mould of those from 1985-1995 ala woosha ect

What highly educated suburban pharmacists?

Or football bluebloods like Glendinning?

I suspect, like most "kids" he perhaps has no idea what 1985-1995 actually was like :)

What highly educated suburban pharmacists?

Or football bluebloods like Glendinning?

I suspect, like most "kids" he perhaps has no idea what 1985-1995 actually was like :)

Perhaps, I'd say it's more in reference to the hard and uncompromising brand of footy that generation is known for. Several of the modern captains are the more flashy, brilliant type like pendles, cotchin or murphy. I guess Glass could have been referred to as "85-95 captain," but this is all just speculation :)

85-95 type Captain.

Michael Tuck, Stephen Kernahan, Glendinning, Rance, Malaxos, Terry Daniher, Paul Roos, Danny Frawley.........

Does that paint a picture for you Eagle 87

85-95 type Captain.

Michael Tuck, Stephen Kernahan, Glendinning, Rance, Malaxos, Terry Daniher, Paul Roos, Danny Frawley.........

So we are recruiting Alex Rance and making him captain?

Or are we picking a bloke who floats from FB to CHF and then spells in the midfield whilst playing 20+ seasons?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

85-95 type Captain.

So any captain during this ten year period is what you want?
I'd much prefer one adapted to the rigours and nous of the present.

Perhaps, I'd say it's more in reference to the hard and uncompromising brand of footy that generation is known for. Several of the modern captains are the more flashy, brilliant type like pendles, cotchin or murphy. I guess Glass could have been referred to as "85-95 captain," but this is all just speculation :)

This is also a misnomer .. footy was played differently but players weren't more uncompromising per se ...

There was a lot more opportunity for genuine half forward flankers who got by purely on offensive skill, with little defense or hardness.. if you look at a game like the one v Richmond 1987 posted earlier on this board you'll see a lot more space and a lot more play away from congestion which allowed such players ...

Sure at grounds like Moorabin in winter it was tough but it was also the era of Indian Pacific, Geoffrey Edelston, tight shorts, cheer girls, 80's haircuts, mousse and all the same debates about soft, haircuts and everything else ...

People have a romantic notion based on bumps and off the ball hits thats somewhat seperate from reality :)

This is also a misnomer .. footy was played differently but players weren't more uncompromising per se ...

There was a lot more opportunity for genuine half forward flankers who got by purely on offensive skill, with little defense or hardness.. if you look at a game like the one v Richmond 1987 posted earlier on this board you'll see a lot more space and a lot more play away from congestion which allowed such players ...

Sure at grounds like Moorabin in winter it was tough but it was also the era of Indian Pacific, Geoffrey Edelston, tight shorts, cheer girls, 80's haircuts, mousse and all the same debates about soft, haircuts and everything else ...

People have a romantic notion based on bumps and off the ball hits thats somewhat seperate from reality :)

Fair point, but i think the general consensus is that footy in that era was played harder. Not that I necessarily agree or disagree, just that this is the perception of the general populous, and so when someone says that someone is an 85-95 captain, I assume that they mean that they possess traits that the 80-90s are best remembered for, even though not all players of that generation possessed them.

Not at all.

A lot of very disparate individuals there.

Your living in Bangkok you sound like a grumpy old bogan cmon! :D

Instead of being light hearted and sending up stereotypes I should have said for the straight lined thinkers. I believe Shannon Hurn possesses reliability, strong work ethic, loyalty, courage, passion, hard at it, no frills etc qualities. In my eyes it makes me think of that era of football (generalization yes)

Fair point, but i think the general consensus is that footy in that era was played harder. Not that I necessarily agree or disagree, just that this is the perception of the general populous, and so when someone says that someone is an 85-95 captain, I assume that they mean that they possess traits that the 80-90s are best remembered for, even though not all players of that generation possessed them.

It's a reference to "the good old days" based on a lack of understanding of them.

I played in the 1980's, s**t Brad Hardie win a Brownlow then. They weren't harder. I wasn't tougher than the average player today, not close. There's a reason it helps to be 188cm+ and 90+ kg now as a contested mid. It's not cos it's softer.

It's true that the likelihood of getting bumped high or hit behind play was higher but people need to stop echoing "back in my day, people were tougher" bollocks.

It was, IMO, a more entertaining brand of footy, probably peaking in the mid 90's but that's obviously subjective ...

But you had guys like Shorty Daniels playing in the 80's, guys like Freame played in a premiership ... these guys would struggle in the modern era to get anywhere near the field :)

Your living in Bangkok you sound like a grumpy old bogan cmon! :D

Instead of being light hearted and sending up stereotypes I should have said for the straight lined thinkers. I believe Shannon Hurn possesses reliability, strong work ethic, loyalty, courage, passion, hard at it, no frills etc qualities. In my eyes it makes me think of that era of football (generalization yes)

The bogans are mainly in Phuket and Pattaya, especially Phuket. Which like Kuta is a bogan magnet.

Bangkok is a touch more upmarket than that. :)

If you think the 80's were "no frills" you're just wildly mistaken. Mullets were the 80's equivalent of what Masten & Wellingham do now .... not some bogan badge ...

That's why the biggest prancing clown of the 80's Dermie had a big blonde curly mullet :)

Apologies if you were being light hearted but as someone who lived through the 80's if the perception of those times is as described in here, then you guys need some education in the era :)

It's a reference to "the good old days" based on a lack of understanding of them.

I played in the 1980's, s**t Brad Hardie win a Brownlow then. They weren't harder. I wasn't tougher than the average player today, not close. There's a reason it helps to be 188cm+ and 90+ kg now as a contested mid. It's not cos it's softer.

It's true that the likelihood of getting bumped high or hit behind play was higher but people need to stop echoing "back in my day, people were tougher" bollocks.

It was, IMO, a more entertaining brand of footy, probably peaking in the mid 90's but that's obviously subjective ...

But you had guys like Shorty Daniels playing in the 80's, guys like Freame played in a premiership ... these guys would struggle in the modern era to get anywhere near the field :)

Yeah I don't necessarily disagree with what you are saying, I was just saying what i thought was meant by the term 85-95 captain when you said you didn't know what it meant :)

Hurn or Selwood IMO

Would have been nice to see Glass hand it over this year and mentor the new captian a bit.

Freo could make the same mistake if Pav doesn't hand it over soon

What is the need for a mentor?
Isn't that the point of having a vice captain?

Freo's succession is pretty simple. Pavlich->Mundy/Fyfe->Fyfe

Sex tourist then? :p

You picked a great weekend. Buddha holidays, most bars & clubs shut

Haha. Thankfully just here to visit the old man and I couldn't imagine anything more awkward than clubbing with him in Pattaya.

Haha. Thankfully just here to visit the old man and I couldn't imagine anything more awkward than clubbing with him in Pattaya.

Lol ...

Ah well... Head to the Hilton, sit outside on that bar up on the roof (name escapes me). It's actually nice up there

Back