Review Winners and Losers in the Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi everyone,

If you are interested in looking back on past AFL drafts and seeing how the players fared, I have written a series of articles on Fans United.

I've started with the 2001 draft. I redraft the top 10 players from that draft.

From 2001, my top 3 players are Gary Ablett, Luke Hodge and Chris Judd.

Who would you redraft?

If you're interested, check out the article here: http://www.fansunite.com.au/2015/04/16/9302/revisiting-the-2001-afl-draft?preview=1

Thanks and have a great day !

Tiarne
16x16_smiley-happy.png

Hi everyone,

If you are interested in looking back on past AFL drafts and seeing how the players fared, I have written a series of articles on Fans United.

I've started with the 2001 draft. I redraft the top 10 players from that draft.

From 2001, my top 3 players are Gary Ablett, Luke Hodge and Chris Judd.

Who would you redraft?

If you're interested, check out the article here: http://www.fansunite.com.au/2015/04/16/9302/revisiting-the-2001-afl-draft?preview=1

Thanks and have a great day !

Tiarne
16x16_smiley-happy.png

Hey Tiarne Welcome to big footy.

Think your top ten from 2001 is pretty spot on... You can see why it's reffered to as the super draft.
The only change I would make is NDS for Hale.

Geelong and the Hawks won that draft. But Geelong are Winners IMO due to having later picks to works with.
That draft really did set them up for success. A dream draft for the Cats GAJ Bartel Kelly and Stevie J in one draft.

Really like some of your draft redo's. Keep up the good work.

Hey Tiarne Welcome to big footy.

Think your top ten from 2001 is pretty spot on... You can see why it's reffered to as the super draft.
The only change I would make is NDS for Hale.

Geelong and the Hawks won that draft. But Geelong are Winners IMO due to having later picks to works with.
That draft really did set them up for success. A dream draft for the Cats GAJ Bartel Kelly and Stevie J in one draft.

Really like some of your draft redo's. Keep up the good work.

Thanks for your feedback Old Navy!

It's a great exercise to do! With hindsight being a wonderful thing, it's really interesting to see which clubs recruited, or developed players well...and which clubs really got it wrong.

I have from 2001-2005 up on Fans United. I'll be adding the others ones I've done shortly!

Thanks for your feedback Old Navy!

It's a great exercise to do! With hindsight being a wonderful thing, it's really interesting to see which clubs recruited, or developed players well...and which clubs really got it wrong.

I have from 2001-2005 up on Fans United. I'll be adding the others ones I've done shortly!

Yeah I've already had a look.. You clearly know your footy..

Which believe it or not is quite rare on here. :)

Billy Stretch is also debuting, exciting to see a father/son prospect.

Also looking forward to Lever, there was big rumours we would take him at 3 when Petracca was locked in at 1.

What could have been? Petracca goes pick 1 and probably doesn't do his ACL.

Looks like St Kilda jumped at shadows with McCartin. Even the Saints boards wiser Sandringham watchers have shown concern over Patty.

Breaking: 1st year, underdeveloped key forward doesn't kick 5 goals a game.

It's not just that. He apparently doesn't even look like a VFL player at the moment.

He's going to improve but at this stage my prediction is St Kilda got gun shy.

It's not just that. He apparently doesn't even look like a VFL player at the moment.

Not sure how you can get 'gun shy' with a pick, if anything the Saints pulled the trigger, CP was the safe option while Paddy came with more risks.

As for Paddys VFL performances, he's been OK (or more than, in a couple of matches) according to a number of posters on our board.

Not sure how you can get 'gun shy' with a pick, if anything the Saints pulled the trigger, CP was the safe option while Paddy came with more risks.

CP was the safe option but with the premium on key forwards these days St Kilda reached and took one with their first pick.

As we speak McCartin gives away a stupid 50m penalty in the VFL. Timely coincidence.

CP was the safe option but with the premium on key forwards these days St Kilda reached and took one with their first pick.

As we speak McCartin gives away a stupid 50m penalty in the VFL. Timely coincidence.
Not sure how we 'reached' when we rated 2 players as the equal #1s, we took the one who didn't butcher his late testing.

And roasting young players for mistakes they make in the 2s, really...

Not sure how we 'reached' when we rated 2 players as the equal #1s, we took the one who didn't butcher his late testing.

And roasting young players for mistakes they make in the 2s, really...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looks like St Kilda jumped at shadows with McCartin. Even the Saints boards wiser Sandringham watchers have shown concern over Patty.

Plz enlighten us as to what the saints should have done with pick 1 then?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Judging a 19 year old KPF on their first season, yeah, you should be a list manager.

Not every KPF is going to come out and perform like Jesse Hogan. Most key position players take time, McCartin will take time.
Don't write him off yet, stick fat ManOfClay.

He looks about as good as Tom Boyd has for the last 2 years. Both will end up very good players.

I liked a bit of what I saw if McCartin in his one game, he presented well and he second efforts and efforts below the knees were good, it was just the pace of it and nothing was sticking for him on the night.

And you guys being trigger happy paid a guy that missed 2 from 15m a million a year. Bravado is really paying off (like you i am judging after 6 weeks of game time).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back