Review Winners and Losers in the Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Took a couple more terrific overhead marks at full stretch today, at least one of them backing into trouble. Looks to have a real weapon there to go with his linebreaking ability, kicking and so-on. At least every second highlight of him in his draft highlights video was of him marking overhead and then taking off or whatever and that marking has certainly translated to senior AFL footy already and he apparently took a couple of genuine pack marks in his last VFL game, despite being listed at just 184cm (although he looks at least an inch taller than that to me).

I reckon you guys got a good one with Webb at 26 as well though. Loved what I saw of him at the champs last year.
The linebreaking and kicking definitely stood out last week. Saw bits and pieces of his game today and it reminded me a bit of Easton Wood (although he probably shades Woody for accuracy), who is about 188cm if I remember correctly.

Webb's been good. Hadn't played defense before he arrived at the club, but doesn't look out of place at all. His laser-like left boot has been a godsend for us, too.

Took a couple more terrific overhead marks at full stretch today, at least one of them backing into trouble. Looks to have a real weapon there to go with his linebreaking ability, kicking and so-on. At least every second highlight of him in his draft highlights video was of him marking overhead and then taking off or whatever and that marking has certainly translated to senior AFL footy already and he apparently took a couple of genuine pack marks in his last VFL game, despite being listed at just 184cm (although he looks at least an inch taller than that to me).

I reckon you guys got a good one with Webb at 26 as well though. Loved what I saw of him at the champs last year.

Hugh Goddard early Signs I seen does look like a Possible Steal by the Saints

Hugh Goddard early Signs I seen does look like a Possible Steal by the Saints
I think he's been in the best every single week for Sandy through both the practice matches and the season proper, except for one week when he had gastro, where he still played and went OK. Just biding his time until there's an opening down back and looks likely that he might be just about ready to hold down CHB by next year if Fisher happens to retire.

I think he's been in the best every single week for Sandy through both the practice matches and the season proper, except for one week when he had gastro, where he still played and went OK. Just biding his time until there's an opening down back and looks likely that he might be just about ready to hold down CHB by next year if Fisher happens to retire.

There is no doubt in my mind this was the steal of last years draft. Terrific player. Really helps to get someone of his caliber fall through to an early second pick when rebuilding a list. Along with the rise and rise of Bruce Almighty I would expect the Dogs and Saints will be battling away at the top end of September again in the not too distant future.

Having spoken to a fair few recruiters last year, they let Goddard slip due to his pace (not sure what he tested last year) they thought he was questionable in defence due to his closing speed, but was a natural defender than forward.

I haven't seen him this year [but has been in the best a fair bit] , so I can only go off what a few clubs told me last year where he went from the number 1 pick a year out from the draft, to Pick 21 (there must be a knock on him).

2.98sec over 20m, which would be pretty close to elite for someone his size and did even better (relative to the others) over 5m and 10m.

Jake Lever a 3.19sec and Sam Durdin and Oscar McDonald both 3.01sec.

He's very competitive and I hear he's pretty keen to show the clubs that overlooked him that they made a mistake.

Brodie Grundy was seen as a lock to go top 3 all through his draft year yet he slid all the way to 18 and he's looking very good value now.

I think a big part of why he slid would have been that when he was seen as someone could go at no.1 he was playing forward, whereas by the time of his draft he was seen as a "defender" and thus held less value. I think he could still be very effective up forward, but with Bruce and hopefully McCartin there long term, he might not get many chances.

Last edited:
Could this draft be also be known for the best haul of short men (sub 180cm)?

Cory Gregson, Jack Lonie, Touk Miller, Clem Smith have already debuted and shown good signs. Celeb Daniel yet to play.

Was he overlooked for his Suppose lack of Pace?
Pace and size was his two biggest knocks. Very game smart and always seems to be reading the play ahead of time so his pace isn't to much of an issue and definitely has legs if needed. And the most surprising is how much he has grown/ filled out gone from 184ish to about 187 and about 5 kgs heavier in one off season IMO plenty of growing to go as well

The bulldogs have hit the jackpot..

Webb--Gun already needs one more pre season and think Hodge(Played)
Cordy --Played first game on weekend VFL was close to best will play later in the year
Dale--Wow kids a talent and has te pace we needed great pick up late(played)
Daniel--Would have played round one was a standout pre season got injured back now.
McLean--Could be the best of them all can play anywhere Robbie Grey clone
Boyd--Exactly what we needed 203cm gun forward(Played) cost pick 6
Jong--What a pick up at 88 (Played)

So Daylrimple nailed this Draft

Forwards
Boyd,McLean

Backs
Cordy,Webb

Onballers
Daniel,Dale,Jong

Cordy --Played first game on weekend VFL was close to best will play later in the year
Daniel--Would have played round one was a standout pre season got injured back now.

Forwards
Boyd,McLean

Backs
Cordy,Webb

Onballers
Daniel,Dale,Jong
So next year we should expect Lucas Webb to tear the competition apart with his courageous acts and toughness at the ball..

Settle down.

So next year we should expect Lucas Webb to tear the competition apart with his courageous acts and toughness at the ball..

Settle down.

Not sure he's the second coming of Hodge but Webb is a beauty. Across Webb, Dale, and Cordy alone it seems Dalrymple has had another terrific crack at it with the picks he had to play with.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Webby is the only draftee that has proven anything so far at AFL levels yet. Bailey played well last week, it's still too early to judge him though. The rest hAve had moments at VFL level and in the NAB cup but the AFL is a whole other ball game completely. With that being said, signs are promising so far, come back to this in a few years, if 3 of the 6 we drafted are best 22 players we are stoked.

Forwards
Boyd,McLean

Backs
Cordy,Webb

Onballers
Daniel,Dale,Jong
Dogs traded more than that for Boyd and Jong was a rookie elevation which meant he cost the Dogs their last pick (as was Redpath who you missed). As for the others, time will tell.

Everyone speaks very highly of his character and leadership and so-on as well, so it's not just his footy ability that he brings to the table. Apparently he just lives and breathes footy.
get this, but he is top10 at the club in weight and height and is the youngest player on our list.

i think commenting on your own club is a bit on eyed, so looking at the other clubs. i think brayshaw will be the best mid of the draft. gregson an absolute steal. i really rate WCE's draft, i think they've absolutely nailed it and will set them up into the future.

i think there will be a story or two next year with a couple of home sick players

Really liked Jake Lever on the weekend.. Crows nail another KPD in the draft... This kid can really play!

Also Liam Duggan was very good for the Eagles 24 touches.

Brayshaw also pretty good with 20 posies. Corey Gregson has been good.

Degoey looked good had 16 touches.. Touk Miller 17 touches 7 tackles has been very impressive.

Show's just how much talent the Giants have on there list.. 5 picks in the top 25 in the 2014 draft..
We are yet to even see one so far this year..

Langford for Essendon has played two games so far.

First game he looked good as a leading target, had a few shots on goal but missed them both. Looked very nervous.

Second game he threw his body into everything and ended up injuring himself. At least I loved the aggression.

He is still super skinny but I think we got a good one.

Laverde has been solid in the VFL and will likely get a call up soon into the firsts to see what he can do as a pressuring forward.

Langford for Essendon has played two games so far.

First game he looked good as a leading target, had a few shots on goal but missed them both. Looked very nervous.

Second game he threw his body into everything and ended up injuring himself. At least I loved the aggression.

He is still super skinny but I think we got a good one.

Laverde has been solid in the VFL and will likely get a call up soon into the firsts to see what he can do as a pressuring forward.
Langford's made of the right stuff. Looks like a great pick.

Eagles huge winners. I wouldnt trade our 5 for anyone elses despite others having higher picks.

Eagles huge winners. I wouldnt trade our 5 for anyone elses despite others having higher picks.

Eagles have done very well as there Players have been AFL Ready but there still very early to say other Teams Drafts could be as good as the Eagles

Remove this Banner Ad

Back