Review Winners and Losers of Trade Week

Remove this Banner Ad

You paid too much for Krakeour and Ceglar, got Tarrant for a fairish price and did some weird deal with West Coast. If that is a spectacular trade week I'll be damned.

Carlton broke even at worst. Lost players on the periphery and gained similiar type players plus pick upgrades. I call it a slight win at B+

I agree about Collingwood not spectacular but ok,will all depend on how Tarrant goes.

Lions did quite well getting a ton of draft picks under 30 inc pick 5 for Risha (honest worker but hardly a star) and Brennan (talented but inconsistent and getting on so wouldn't be a part of our next flag)and Sherman (bit of a hack tbh but could do well at the dogs)

I'd give the Lions an A-

For the Tigers... clear winners. 2nd only to the GC, man they will be frightening in 3 years.

Collingwood did awesome considering their position.

Geelong stayed cool... and didnt react too much but sholdnt drop to far either.

Carlton... hmm, the most confusing. If they got themselves a decent coach they could be top 4 in 2 years but will stay around the 6-10 mark for a while. In essence, going nowhere.

Brisbane have submitted to their situation and a rebuild. I think they did ok considering Crazy Vossy's last year.

Adelaide are fresh. Tambling will help them. Depending on the Tigers drafting, this should be win/win.

Hawthorn..,.... in trouble... will be 12-5th for years but never do anything

Bulldogs... will be Hawthorn.

West Coast... screwed.

Freo..

Essendon... In a world of bottom trouble. Their inability to do much at all will make senior coach Hird... or break him.. The latter wins here.

You lost your BnF player, and best utility player. If this happened to any other team, most would have several picks in the top 30 also. That doesn't make it a win.

Clearly Lions are a loser at this stage, not massively perhaps, but the situation is not ideal. Good drafting can easily turn this around though.

No we did very well you clearly just have issues with the lions.

We are a team on the rebuild who off loaded a couple of toilers and an aging inconsistent Brennan for a **** load of picks under 30.

Next year doesn't matter.

Lots of talk saying West Coast failed.

I can understand that. I think we failed in that we should have talked some players with currency to head off.

The trades we made - well, what was the chance we could have improved on pick 28 with only McKinley and Spangher as bait - it was always zero.

We will use 4, 26, 28 and f/s on Brennan in ND.

I think we should have rolled the dice.

Although I am glad we didn't go chasing rejects.

Freo did well I thought.

Is it just me or is North over-rating themselves more than Carlton these days? I agree that they will be good, but some posters are just patting themselves on the back furiously. Suppose that's how it goes though. Some West Coast posters were the same this time last year...

You might still lose Cloke.

I stand by my view that 25 for Krakeour and Ceglar is over-paying.

Tarrant would of been a horrible get for Carlton, would only play for a year or two, stall development time in other players and take a big chunk of salary. Enjoy that by the way.

You have the best system in the league. I am undecided whether you have the best list. You will apparently be going on a de-listing spree anyway so you will lose players, some of whom may be good, but can't crack your side.

Carlton didn't lose, but we didn't really win. Laidler was a steal though.

Oh and save the condescending ****

We wont lose Cloke. Even if we did, it wouldn't be in this period that your assessing.

OUT: Fraser, Pick 25 & Pick 43.

IN: Tarrant, Krakouer, Ceglar, Pick 44, Pick 45, Pick 78, Pick 95.

If you broke even then we got a win. We don't really need to improve anywhere and did let any of our premiership player go. We have gained a few little boosting players and gain some late draft picks for our NSW boys.

I love how you've asked to save the condescension then say "Enjoy that by the way".

Essendon... In a world of bottom trouble. Their inability to do much at all will make senior coach Hird... or break him.. The latter wins here.

not sure about Essendon, as I think it's reasonable to actually, y'know, assess the players over a year of coaching; but last year in Thailand I was in a world of bottom trouble

I think they got bent over on the Tarrant deal, Faulks will go ok for them but its yet to be seen if he has the body to make it in AFL footy
Dude, I strongly disagree.

Gave up a pick they won't use for Griffen.

Got Mzengu and Faulks who will both be AFL ready and help meet structural needs (Faulks tall defender, Mzengu to release Broughton) for next to nothing.

Faulks may seem slim but is certainly strong and could surprise a lot of people.

Freo I would suggest are trade week winners.

Is it just me or is North over-rating themselves more than Carlton these days? I agree that they will be good, but some posters are just patting themselves on the back furiously. Suppose that's how it goes though. Some West Coast posters were the same this time last year...

Not really. Wallace said Hale was only worth a pick in the 40-50s at the start of the week so we ended up with a reasonable return from that trade.

We had to pay more than what we would have liked for Richardson because of the interest in him from GC and Brisbane and we got McKinley cheaply because Carlton and Bulldogs were too busy with other deals to worry about him.

We still go into the draft with pick 17 a compensation pick (which I am 95% sure we will use) and two fourth round picks. I am relatively pleased with the end result given we didn't burn pick 17 or the compensation pick we got via Hale.

how can Carlton fans think they have got a win, when they talked the talk all week and ended up with exactly what we offered at the start ar a pick we stated we were never going to use anyway?

not sure about Essendon, as I think it's reasonable to actually, y'know, assess the players over a year of coaching; but last year in Thailand I was in a world of bottom trouble

If I was an Essendon supporter I would be relatively disappointed largely because with a bit of action you could have probably got another pick or two in the top 30 and there should be some very good inside midfielders appear in the top 30. Bombers could have gone a long way to resolve their major issues this draft imo. Also some very good quality players on the move you could have had a look at.

Ah Lance. I think you're in the absolute upper echelon of posters on this site.. Its just a tragedy that a man of your style happens to follow the bombers so our interests conflict.

In all seriousness I can understand your theory as you have a young squad, but why waste time? They aint all gonna make it and tough calls need to be made... Havent been any tough calls at the Bowls Club for a while now.

Tough times for you guys... Following Sheeds was always going to be problematic and the first one who did was going to be a pawn.

Jimmy has put his rep on the line, maybe... we could meet in a GF in 3-5 years time. Richmond V Essendon, Hird Vs Hardwick...

But I wouldnt be holding my breath if I was you.... Too many similarities to the Richmond of the 80s.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ah Lance. I think you're in the absolute upper echelon of posters on this site.. Its just a tragedy that a man of your style happens to follow the bombers so our interests conflict.

In all seriousness I can understand your theory as you have a young squad, but why waste time? They aint all gonna make it and tough calls need to be made... Havent been any tough calls at the Bowls Club for a while now.

Tough times for you guys... Following Sheeds was always going to be problematic and the first one who did was going to be a pawn.

Jimmy has put his rep on the line, maybe... we could meet in a GF in 3-5 years time. Richmond V Essendon, Hird Vs Hardwick...

But I wouldnt be holding my breath if I was you.... Too many similarities to the Richmond of the 80s.

it's good to at least battle someone with some wit and intelligence though, a trait sorely lacking in some of your brethren :)

I know it's a BF group think "fact" that our list is shite, but not all of us think that. I guess the proof will be in the pudding, so to speak.

Even though we do certainly have to make some cuts, it's a smart way to do it backing in the guys we have, & assessing them, than paying out more contracts & taking the risk on some later picks in a compromised draft, or trading low

Not really. Wallace said Hale was only worth a pick in the 40-50s at the start of the week so we ended up with a reasonable return from that trade.

We had to pay more than what we would have liked for Richardson because of the interest in him from GC and Brisbane and we got McKinley cheaply because Carlton and Bulldogs were too busy with other deals to worry about him.

We still go into the draft with pick 17 a compensation pick (which I am 95% sure we will use) and two fourth round picks. I am relatively pleased with the end result given we didn't burn pick 17 or the compensation pick we got via Hale.

It was more of a general comment. I think North did well in trade week(assuming Richardson is decent).

I think North will do well next year. It's just I see a lot of comments where North fans are almost stating it as a fact that they have been recruiting genuises over the past few years, when nothing is yet achieved, and your B&F this year was won by your two eldest (or close to) players. They may turn out to be right, but it's just more the arrogance that already exists.

Few bad apples and all that though.

how can Carlton fans think they have got a win, when they talked the talk all week and ended up with exactly what we offered at the start ar a pick we stated we were never going to use anyway?
Because we complete 3 trades... not 1...

1 loss (expected), 1 draw (not expected), 1 win (not expected)

Don't know how people are rating the Lions as a loss. People pulling out the "you lost your B&F winner" are just showing their axe to grind - Rischitelli leaving has nothing to with Trade Week.

If you consider purely outs and ins, we did pretty well. Got a late first round pick for Sherman, two late first round/early second round picks for Brennan plus a five pick upgrade, and got Bewick guaranteed for a third round pick. Probably fair value when everything is said and done.

Tarrant would of been a horrible get for Carlton, would only play for a year or two, stall development time in other players and take a big chunk of salary. Enjoy that by the way.
Two words; veteran's list.

it's good to at least battle someone with some wit and intelligence though, a trait sorely lacking in some of your brethren :)

I know it's a BF group think "fact" that our list is shite, but not all of us think that. I guess the proof will be in the pudding, so to speak.

Even though we do certainly have to make some cuts, it's a smart way to do it backing in the guys we have, & assessing them, than paying out more contracts & taking the risk on some later picks in a compromised draft, or trading low

Yeah i can understand the thinking behind it. Guess its just different to recent incumbent coaches like Hardwick and Clarkson who did a lot of clearing out. Though in fairness Hawthron when Clarko took over did have many players in the older age group, while Hardwick at Richmond really has taken a steak knife to the list and left not much fat.

Hird will probably get a free ride in the media next year, way more than Hardiwck did(Remember us being worse than Fitzroy in the first half of 2010?), but he hasnt changed the group at Essendon.

It was more of a general comment. I think North did well in trade week(assuming Richardson is decent).

I think North will do well next year. It's just I see a lot of comments where North fans are almost stating it as a fact that they have been recruiting genuises over the past few years, when nothing is yet achieved, and your B&F this year was won by your two eldest (or close to) players. They may turn out to be right, but it's just more the arrogance that already exists.

Few bad apples and all that though.

I understand where you are coming from but I think a lot of it stems from sheer relief. The late Pagan era and almost all of Laidley's era we as a club were decimated by woeful trading and mediocre drafting.

When you give a starving man a piece of bread and water then that is a banquet. ;)

Bloody oath it is. It seems that if you did a trade with Gold Coast for a state league player, it's being judged as a great value get. The stupid thing is that noone would bat an eyelid, if you had have drafted the same player with the pick you gave up.

unless of course you didnt give up any picks - just slid a few spots.

Reality is every club will think they are winners but my thoughts were;

Losers:

Brisbane - Ouch! If the coach wasnt their greatest player he would be gone by now. He, CEO and the List Manager have to take some responsibility for this disaster. To lose Rischa, Brennan, Sherman and have Clark vunerable is not a good position.

Think the above statement in isolation is fair enough, having that many players leave is a bit of a kick - although two of them were for more money which, salary cap issues or not, we never should have tried to match anyway. However to make reference to Rischa in a rating of trade week isn't really on the money. He had nothing to do with trade week?

The actual trades that we performed for these players I think were pretty good. Did we lose some handy players, sure. Did we do fairly well in getting compensated at the trade table for them, in the end I think so.

maybe when rating a trade period you may want to focus on the actual trades rather than bringing in the overall situation of the club......

Dogs did well. Not their fault they lost Harbrow and Everitt was a fringe player. They get Sherman in and Veszpremi will get game time now that BJ is gone.
Was pretty happy with our effort. We stood firm with Houli and will get him for nothing in the PSD.
So we lost Andy Collins and Tambling and got Grigg, Houli, 26 and 50, giving us 5 picks inside the top 50.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back