WRFL Division 1 - 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
the league have stated at committee of management meetings that they want extra clubs, but they didnt fight hard enough to get Burnside onboard, simple, they went to the EDFL because they were so professional in there approach to get them, whilst the WRFL didnt try hard enough.
What i cant understand after all the whinging about Pt Cook not putting there seniors in our league, the WRFL (well i mean certain junior only clubs who have full voting rights which i disagree with) allow another club in (pegs) who have seniors but they have them in the ammos and have no intention at coming to the WRFL amaizes me.
Why the comp will never be close to eveness is that certain clubs just dont have enough $$$$ to recruit better players.
Have a look at Divi 2 at how much certain clubs (parkside 90K and ect) have as a budget. Its only going to get worse as young players now just expect big $$$s even in there first year. But you cant blame them as certain clubs (DP) oops, even offer kids $$$ from a certain young club from the same area to come over. What chance has any club running a small budget have. They have to make there budget larger so they can compete with the big boys.
What do we do? I dont know.
didn't the clubs vote PEGS in?????

A few questions to ask of others as I don't know enough about recruitment in clubs to have a proper say:

A kid finishes playing under 18's, is working as an apprentice sparky/ plumber/ chippy whatever. 1st or 2nd year apprentice wages plus nothing to stay at his local club. $$$ to go and play in the country. How does a points system keep these kids in the league?

Why is it that some clubs are able to source good sponsors (not talking about having one money man spill all the $$$ in) whilst others aren't able to get anything except some small change? Without the excuses that there isn't as much money in the west. There are still plenty of successful businesses, franchises and a large population base that spend their surplus cash flow somewhere. I'm sure that goes to local business.

I'm a big believer that gate takings make a huge difference to a club and gives them extra funds to spend on development, player spending etc. But how much difference does that make?

I'm as guilty as many, but in the west we tend to take a defeatist attitude. Why? What makes us so different to other areas? Clubs in EDFL and EFL still need hard working volunteers to do the ground work and source sponsors, run the canteen etc. Do they work any harder than volunteers in our league or are they just better at setting up a system that works?

not sure if its still in place but i was of the opinion that the Mornington Peninsula/Nepean league had a points system in place...found this online but its a few years old...

MORNINGTON PENINSULA NEPEAN FOOTBALL LEAGUE
PLAYER POINTS SYSTEM 2010
OVERVIEW​
A total of 39 points is allowed for each senior home and away or finals
MPNFL match. The total is based on the aggregate points of 22 players per
senior team in the match. All players receive a base level of one point.
Additional points ratings between 1 & 6 are based on the level of competition
that the player has competed at (the higher the level the higher the points​
rating).

a pretty highly respected league

Very true... I played a couple of years at Frankston in the mpnfl and the point system was in place but I am pretty sure it was 36 points per team then. It works very well and I voiced my opinion on it a few years ago at the COM meeting only to have a few of the bigger clubs strongly disagree and even after I collated a proposal for the league to go out to clubs to be considered it was never raised again and my report was never to be seen again... But that was a different commitee at the helm then.
Anyway on the points system all players had 1 base point, and depending on where you played (league, standard and continuous years to previous club) you would gain extra points obviously the higher the level the more points with ex afl within 3 years was max 6 points... BUT if you were returning to your junior club you automatically went back to 1 point so this would encourage clubs to putting into their kids and also get old players back. The best thing they had and I don't know if they still do but if you had an u/18 play in the seniors for the day you actually gained an extra point (max of 3 u/18 per week)... This would certainly be a great thing to include again in Wrfl because it gives incentive to clubs to look after their juniors but also give them senior experience.
I do believe that it is a great thing for local footy to bring in and yes it would be beneficial for all leagues to adopt it and some guidance and instruction from AFL VIC would be great but I certainly don't see why the Wrfl can't introduce it or at least trial it for 2 years min.
It has worked for other leagues and they seem to be more competitive and of great standard.
But in the mean time I still think it is on the clubs to create their own culture and really be stringent on who and what they pay... And also how they get the $$$ and sponsorship.
I am going to join ROCK too and say that the lure of success and mateship is still a huge factor in most footballers decision and to be honest if a player is sitting in front of you just asking for $$$ and putting a price on his head without taking an interest in what your club is like then I dare say Tell him to go elsewhere cos I would not want him in my team... These decision by the powers that be is what can create success... Anyway it's a good think tank...
Gee footy is getting close lol

the league have stated at committee of management meetings that they want extra clubs, but they didnt fight hard enough to get Burnside onboard, simple, they went to the EDFL because they were so professional in there approach to get them, whilst the WRFL didnt try hard enough.
What i cant understand after all the whinging about Pt Cook not putting there seniors in our league, the WRFL (well i mean certain junior only clubs who have full voting rights which i disagree with) allow another club in (pegs) who have seniors but they have them in the ammos and have no intention at coming to the WRFL amaizes me.
Why the comp will never be close to eveness is that certain clubs just dont have enough $$$$ to recruit better players.
Have a look at Divi 2 at how much certain clubs (parkside 90K and ect) have as a budget. Its only going to get worse as young players now just expect big $$$s even in there first year. But you cant blame them as certain clubs (DP) oops, even offer kids $$$ from a certain young club from the same area to come over. What chance has any club running a small budget have. They have to make there budget larger so they can compete with the big boys.
What do we do? I dont know.

Why should junior only clubs not have voting rights. When I last looked, it was the WRFL not the WRSFL (Western Region Senior Football League).
Do you place the same thought on Senior only clubs (Coburg, Laverton etc) not having full voting rights?

Junior Only clubs should only be allowed to vote on matters affecting the Juniors.

Based on that scenario, Senior clubs should only vote on matters affecting Seniors.
Who votes on matters affecting the whole league.
Do we then simply have a separate Senior League and a Junior league run by different boards, CEO's etc.

I will put it as simply as I can so you can understand - Senior clubs with Juniors vote on all matters. Clubs with Juniors only, vote on matters affecting juniors only.

GAMEOVER – In the scenario that you gave (young player coming out of U18) the points system keeps the player at his local club because the system does not cap the amount of $$ that a club can pay. A club is better of paying the kid $100 a game rather than a recruit $100 + per game as the kid is worth less points.

COLDOG – The reason players from U18 expect to get paid is because clubs are prepared to pay them. This ability to pay the huge sums of money is generally driven by blokes with huge ego’s that want to finance clubs as a way to feel important. There is no way to limit the amount that clubs spend so limiting the amount of recruits a club can get is the only way to even things up.

Something in general has gone horribly wrong when a club sits down in Sep/Oct to plan their next season and the number one thing on the list is “how do we raise a minimum of $100 000 to pay players just so we can be competitive”. If you are in it to win a flag make that number closer to $200 000.... instead of how to we improve our players and develope our kids.

I read an article that somebody posted somewhere on BF a few weeks ago about the effect that football clubs have on country towns. Made a lot of sense to me. Basically said that all they do is suck the life out of the town. They take local money and it ends up in the pockets of “drive in players”. They also use up valuable time and energy of local people who if not having to (or choosing to) raise ridiculous money to keep the footy club alive would be the type of people that would use that time to fund raise for the local community groups that actually needed the money. The theory can be applied to the WRFL.

Imagine if you add up all of the money that went on player payments last season across both divisions in the WRFL alone?? I reckon that it would be somewhere between $1.2 and $1.5 MILLION
I am sure there are plenty of community groups that would be pretty happy to get some of that money.

GB50 - Seperate question "Is the rooms at Ainsworth going to be ready for the start of the season"?

It is fantastic that it is happening, but would be disappointing if you have to delay home games at your ground again this year. Long term it is in the best interests of the club obviously. I am sure the visiting clubs will appreciate not getting changed in a sardine can:D

GB50 - Seperate question "Is the rooms at Ainsworth going to be ready for the start of the season"?

It is fantastic that it is happening, but would be disappointing if you have to delay home games at your ground again this year. Long term it is in the best interests of the club obviously. I am sure the visiting clubs will appreciate not getting changed in a sardine can:D

The upgrade to the social rooms and the new building for changerooms are on schedule to be available for round 1..... but dont be suprised if only the new HOME rooms are actually used and the away team has to use the old sardine can:thumbsu:

The upgrade to the social rooms and the new building for changerooms are on schedule to be available for round 1..... but dont be suprised if only the new HOME rooms are actually used and the away team has to use the old sardine can:thumbsu:

That would be pathetic if the opportunity to atone the poor provisions was not undertaken when available:thumbsdown:

Already implemented in some of the country comp's

I think the point structure is Total 45 points per senior game:

1 point - local junior
2 points - player from outside league returning to local junior club
3 points - coming in from other country league
4 points - coming in from VFL/SANFL/Metro comp WRFL/EDFL ETC
5 points - coming in from another club inside the same league/ ex AFL player

Flaw in this system

1. A cash cow club eg Deer Park, Spotty.
Has to follow the points system, you will just get clubs poaching juniors at Under 14s level !!

Oh whats that i hear you say ???
Wont happen ????

When this idea was first floated in the EDFL approx 6 years ago, Crazyburn got Dylan Joyce and Addam Maric from other clubs, and they were getting $100 a game at U 14s level.

When Moonee Valley was funded by the bank of Moran, it was discussed there !!

FACT

Human nature, bring in a rule, people find way to exploit rule

Flaw in this system

1. A cash cow club eg Deer Park, Spotty.
Has to follow the points system, you will just get clubs poaching juniors at Under 14s level !!

Oh whats that i hear you say ???
Wont happen ????

When this idea was first floated in the EDFL approx 6 years ago, Crazyburn got Dylan Joyce and Addam Maric from other clubs, and they were getting $100 a game at U 14s level.

When Moonee Valley was funded by the bank of Moran, it was discussed there !!

FACT

Human nature, bring in a rule, people find way to exploit rule

Poaching kids of that age already happens today, so no change.

In addition, paying kids in that age group would be illegal, and I would think that clubs, committees and parents would think twice to go down that track, putting their clubs at risk.

If club presidents and committees would approve of this type of behaviour, then I think we may well stop altogether. And really, I trust that they are better than that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey Rock - Why so quiet? How's NF looking
Can't wait to see you running around in the Devil's jumper

Things at nf are going ok, numbers on track are up and down. 2 nights a week are good 1 night ordinary. Just need to change the divvy 2 mindset of a few players. We have picked up a few quality players still trying to land 4 more. Close to signing 3 of the four. Very confident we will perform a lot better than last year.Picked up a vfl player from sandy will be the fastest in the comp...We will surprise a few starting with a win against hoppers round 1!
Go devils.

Things at nf are going ok, numbers on track are up and down. 2 nights a week are good 1 night ordinary. Just need to change the divvy 2 mindset of a few players. We have picked up a few quality players still trying to land 4 more. Close to signing 3 of the four. Very confident we will perform a lot better than last year.Picked up a vfl player from sandy will be the fastest in the comp...We will surprise a few starting with a win against hoppers round 1!
Go devils.

I'll give you 10/1 big fella?

Good to hear you've signed a few, look forward to round 1.

Shylo gone, Grenville gone, but as far as im aware and everyone else in the wrfl Philpott has a 2 year contract meaning this is his last and final year as an albion player! So unless the team he is supposedly going to will pay his contract in full i believe James Phillpott will be an albion player in 2012 or will be sitting on the sidelines and not playing. What else is news around the traps hows pre season looking and numbers. Any practice games coming up for teams?

marcus smith, manton, fredrickson & morris can be added to that list. Assuming Philpott either does get let out of his albion contract or sits out the year still means it should be considered as a player gone from their list.

marcus smith, manton, fredrickson & morris can be added to that list. Assuming Philpott either does get let out of his albion contract or sits out the year still means it should be considered as a player gone from their list.
is teghan henderson signed with deer park the ex richmond rookie listed player?

Last I heard, he was headed there. But that was several months ago now. I'd think so

Clearence is in, so it's a given.

I know it's early but anyone disagree with the top 3 colts altona and spotty.
I'm also tipping a altona colts gf. Both teams have recruited very well and will be very hungry to do well. Never discount a great spotty club though.
Speaking with a few colts boys on week end and most think they have recruited probably better than they have in along time. I agree with them.
Also had a chat with an altona last week, they also are very happy with how they are looking and very confident. Will be the best running team in the comp. if talls stand up team to beat!

Who heads the list of recruits for the colts?

Well it's common knowledge about Perkins brannan, sutcliffe and urch then there is 3 or 4 other guns. Which will be out soon enough but I leave that for the colts to say.
On talent alone miles better than last year with a bit of luck will go very close!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back