WRFL Division 1 - 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have not seen sunshine yet but result thus far would indicate they should be around the 4th or 5th mark i'll have a better look this week, but it should come from hoppers, sunshine and deer park the last two spot, sure everyone agrees colts spotty altona are certain top 3.

I agree with your whole 6, the only thing that I'd question is whether Albion could replace Sunshine or Hoppers. I watched Albion play Hoppers last week, and honestly thought that Albion were asleep in the first quarter and let Hoppers get too far ahead. They ended up losing by 5 or so goals and after the first quarter they were always chasing their tails.

Albion kicked the first 3 or 4 goals in the last quarter and were coming home with a pretty sizable wind advantage. When Hoppers kicked a goal to stop the flow you saw Albion's heads drop. I reckon if they had of been closer at 3qtr time they could have run over them.

For all the talk of unevenness in the competition, I think it's actually a lot closer than people think between that bracket of teams. Even North Footscray the week before weren't far off. Of course now I've written this we'll get big blowouts on the weekend Lol.

I agree with your whole 6, the only thing that I'd question is whether Albion could replace Sunshine or Hoppers. I watched Albion play Hoppers last week, and honestly thought that Albion were asleep in the first quarter and let Hoppers get too far ahead. They ended up losing by 5 or so goals and after the first quarter they were always chasing their tails.

Albion kicked the first 3 or 4 goals in the last quarter and were coming home with a pretty sizable wind advantage. When Hoppers kicked a goal to stop the flow you saw Albion's heads drop. I reckon if they had of been closer at 3qtr time they could have run over them.

For all the talk of unevenness in the competition, I think it's actually a lot closer than people think between that bracket of teams. Even North Footscray the week before weren't far off. Of course now I've written this we'll get big blowouts on the weekend Lol.

With the GREAT MAN ROCK at the helm, North Footscray will always be competitive and will no doubt knock a few of the more fancier teams this year. Wait till the weather turns Nasty, that brings the best out of Rock and the rest will follow. When the going get's Tough, Rock get's going

The fact we almost doubled there scoring shots and inside 50s would have me believing that we were wasteful.. But stats like those could be misleading right?

Altona v St Albans = Altona by 89pts (all not good at St Albans)

Deer Park v Albion = Deer Park by 35pts

Hoppers v Heights = Hoppers by 47 pts

Port Colts v Spotty = Spotty by 11 pts

Sunshine vNth Foots = Sunshine by 21 pts

Good Luck:D

Altona v St Albans = Altona by 89pts (all not good at St Albans)

Deer Park v Albion = Deer Park by 35pts

Hoppers v Heights = Hoppers by 47 pts

Port Colts v Spotty = Spotty by 11 pts

Sunshine vNth Foots = Sunshine by 21 pts

Good Luck:D

Altona v St Albans Altona by 100pts
Deer Park v Albion = Deer Park by 6pts

Hoppers v Heights = Hoppers by 200pts

Port Colts v Spotty = Spotty by 50pts

Sunshine v Nth Foots = Sunshine by 80pts

The league is too predictable a vote will be had at the end of the year to have 3 divisions It has become a laughing stock.

Altona v St Albans = Altona by 58

Deer Park v Albion = Deer Park by 54pts

Hoppers v Heights = Hoppers by 87 pts

Port Colts v Spotty = Spotty by 32 pts

Sunshine vNth Foots = Sunshine by 49 pts

Ladder....

Spotty...wins 18
Altona....14-16
Colts...14-16
Sunshine....9-11
Hoppers...6-9
Deer park...6-9
albion...4-6
st albans...4-6
nth foots...2-4
heights...0

Competetion in big trouble!

Altona v St Albans = Altona by 58

Deer Park v Albion = Deer Park by 54pts

Hoppers v Heights = Hoppers by 87 pts

Port Colts v Spotty = Spotty by 32 pts

Sunshine vNth Foots = Sunshine by 49 pts

Ladder....

Spotty...wins 18
Altona....14-16
Colts...14-16
Sunshine....9-11
Hoppers...6-9
Deer park...6-9
albion...4-6
st albans...4-6
nth foots...2-4
heights...0

Competetion in big trouble!

TROUBLE? How

3 years ago Altona didn't make finals, now the talk is they will finish second.
Deer Park, first year back in Div 1 and will probably play finals
Albion and StAlbans not to make finals after playing in them last year.
Competition seems fine to me, just got to get Heights and Devils to catch up to the other clubs.
The WRFL can't do much more than put a fixture out for those who want to play, it's up to each club to become a competitive entity to stop any potential blow out results.

The league is too predictable a vote will be had at the end of the year to have 3 divisions It has become a laughing stock.

10 teams div 1
11 teams div 2, North Sunshine sadly about to close doors, so how we gonna have 3 divisions ??

EDFL heading that way and quite a few are skeptical it will work.
Me thinks its good for EDFL as blow outs there are as bad as WRFL div 2.

Its all about numbers

Hoppers by 120 points
Albion by 6 points
Sunshine by 20 points
Altona by 100 points
Colts by 10 points

'i have the juice'

TROUBLE? How

3 years ago Altona didn't make finals, now the talk is they will finish second.
Deer Park, first year back in Div 1 and will probably play finals
Albion and StAlbans not to make finals after playing in them last year.
Competition seems fine to me, just got to get Heights and Devils to catch up to the other clubs.
The WRFL can't do much more than put a fixture out for those who want to play, it's up to each club to become a competitive entity to stop any potential blow out results.

Trouble because chequebook football is needed to compete with spotswood.......albion did it...now they are struggling.....money doesnt last....heights are hopeless.....nth foots will never compete for a flag....2nd div clubs coming up will never compete.....

Trouble because chequebook football is needed to compete with spotswood.......albion did it...now they are struggling.....money doesnt last....heights are hopeless.....nth foots will never compete for a flag....2nd div clubs coming up will never compete.....

I beg to differ even tho deer park are spending a bit they are no where near what everyone thinks... Well run with a corporate backer. A few div2 clubs are already planning on the chance they go up with both $$$ and with smart junior development also with the ability to improve their lists without spending more by recruiting and bringing through the right kids and structures to prosper in div1... I know it is our goal but it cannot happen 1st year up but if the clubs can be prepared to set out and complete a plan from winning a div2 flag to being competitive and then bring strong in div1 then they will go along way to succeeding. Granted I think the Wrfl need to introduce points system to even out and make the league more competitive in all grades but unless all leagues do it or they get strict instruction and pressure from aflvic they will never rock the boat. But I know my club is hell bent on getting to div1 eventually and then having the playing group, culture and junior talent to compete and succeed in div1... I know we are in better geographical location than most so we can actually forward plan for participation in both junior and senior grades but the ball in rolling and and my great club is not alone... Just my opinion and view but all we div2 clubs need is a chance...

great game down at john mcleod oval yesterday........

the umpiring both ways still has me scratching my head......though in the end it was good to see class shine through under a heap of pressure......

albion coach speaks well 1 of the best ive heard for a while......heard stories about finco and the kid goes alright azza tymms had a bit of it and the stephens boys just keep getting it......a matchup that imo cost albion was having butina at full back on condos......when moved fwd halfway through the last he had the ball on 4 or 5 occasions and they could have won the game if up there earlier.......it wasnt to be...... in a game that was hard to find a best player foley(plenty of it) gestier(this kid can play) condos(6 no spotiitis today muppets)king (presented well with his voice) groegan(solid down back) i thought got the job done when it counted.......tough run for deer park comming up very excited to see how the boys take the challenge on competing with teams around the finals mark......1 tick 3 to go.....

tige the player who his players love to hate.......bring on hoppers

(Log in to remove this ad.)

great game down at john mcleod oval yesterday........

the umpiring both ways still has me scratching my head......though in the end it was good to see class shine through under a heap of pressure......

albion coach speaks well 1 of the best ive heard for a while......heard stories about finco and the kid goes alright azza tymms had a bit of it and the stephens boys just keep getting it......a matchup that imo cost albion was having butina at full back on condos......when moved fwd halfway through the last he had the ball on 4 or 5 occasions and they could have won the game if up there earlier.......it wasnt to be...... in a game that was hard to find a best player foley(plenty of it) gestier(this kid can play) condos(6 no spotiitis today muppets)king (presented well with his voice) groegan(solid down back) i thought got the job done when it counted.......tough run for deer park comming up very excited to see how the boys take the challenge on competing with teams around the finals mark......1 tick 3 to go.....

tige the player who his players love to hate.......bring on hoppers

No Spottyitis Today ? Facts are Weapons 6 against an undermanned Albion and a No Show in a 20 goal thrashing against Spotty.You do the Math.Wait, on second thoughts dont bother:eek: Pencil him in for the Sunny Heights game though,he'll be good to go.:thumbsu:

I beg to differ even tho deer park are spending a bit they are no where near what everyone thinks... Well run with a corporate backer. A few div2 clubs are already planning on the chance they go up with both $$$ and with smart junior development also with the ability to improve their lists without spending more by recruiting and bringing through the right kids and structures to prosper in div1... I know it is our goal but it cannot happen 1st year up but if the clubs can be prepared to set out and complete a plan from winning a div2 flag to being competitive and then bring strong in div1 then they will go along way to succeeding. Granted I think the Wrfl need to introduce points system to even out and make the league more competitive in all grades but unless all leagues do it or they get strict instruction and pressure from aflvic they will never rock the boat. But I know my club is hell bent on getting to div1 eventually and then having the playing group, culture and junior talent to compete and succeed in div1... I know we are in better geographical location than most so we can actually forward plan for participation in both junior and senior grades but the ball in rolling and and my great club is not alone... Just my opinion and view but all we div2 clubs need is a chance...[/quote]

Evo you need a number of things to happen to move from Div 2 to Div 1 and have any success. The main 2 things you need are strong juniors and MONEY and if I was to dig a bit deeper i would say that Money is clearly the number 1 requirement, then daylight followed by juniors.

If you dont have really strong juniors you can still bridge the gap quickly (EG Deer park) as long as the bank balance is healthy.

If you have quality juniors but you dont have money then as good as the kids are you still wont be good enough. Have a look at Altona. Arguably the best junior set up in the comp but they absolutely battled for 3 or 4 years in Div 1 before.... you guessed it they started spending some cash.

I am not having a crack at Altona here because I am sure that they pay less than alot of clubs but their kids may underpin the club but the cheque book has moved them from a compettive team to where they are now. Firstly to land a good coach and then to bring in the players required to get them up the next step (Miles, Russo, Hevern, Gardner and I may have missed a few of their top liners that are not Altona juniors).

If all that doesnt make sense then this sums it up.

You can get by with no juniors and a heap of cash but you cant get by with a heap of juniors and NO CASH... and thats pretty sad.

Although I do believe you are right is some sense of the conversation I still believe that when recruiting if you are diligent then you don't have to pay out the massive dollars... It is the clubs money and just because a player or group of players is asking for x amount you don't have to pay it. If you do enough scouting throughout the year you will find many players that will fit the requirements of your club on field and for half the price or even in other ways with work or benefits for family or even paying for income protection or insurances as this goes along way to reassuring the player that they are not just a player but part of the group. A good club and facilities is also a factor I believe and also a good social scene off field always keeps the reputation of the club high as does it makes it to recruit that great footballer who's best mate already plays at the club who we have always wanted lol. But mick yes you do need good $$$ to back you but I firmly believe it is not the be all and end all of footy. Clubs just have to be smarter when chasing sponsors and players alike and the sooner more clubs start saying 'no I will not pay u x amount and stick to their guns then the sooner the shift in $$$ power comes back to the club.... But I don't feel unfortunately that this will happen any time soon... But for a tone that wants to listen.... Go falcons and we will one day try to prove this whole money is the world theory wrong... And before I get told yes I will now go back to my div2 thread lol

Although I do believe you are right is some sense of the conversation I still believe that when recruiting if you are diligent then you don't have to pay out the massive dollars... It is the clubs money and just because a player or group of players is asking for x amount you don't have to pay it. If you do enough scouting throughout the year you will find many players that will fit the requirements of your club on field and for half the price or even in other ways with work or benefits for family or even paying for income protection or insurances as this goes along way to reassuring the player that they are not just a player but part of the group. A good club and facilities is also a factor I believe and also a good social scene off field always keeps the reputation of the club high as does it makes it to recruit that great footballer who's best mate already plays at the club who we have always wanted lol. But mick yes you do need good $$$ to back you but I firmly believe it is not the be all and end all of footy. Clubs just have to be smarter when chasing sponsors and players alike and the sooner more clubs start saying 'no I will not pay u x amount and stick to their guns then the sooner the shift in $$$ power comes back to the club.... But I don't feel unfortunately that this will happen any time soon... But for a tone that wants to listen.... Go falcons and we will one day try to prove this whole money is the world theory wrong... And before I get told yes I will now go back to my div2 thread lol

I used to beleive all of that too..... but over the last 3 years I realised i was wrong. All of the other factors help but then main factor is $$. As it stands now if you are not able to generate enough income to pay players $100K a season then there is no point even being in Div 1. $100k with a great junior set up will get you to around the finals mark.

In saying that I applaud your view and would love more than to see a club like yours get to Div 1 and prove me wrong.

Altona v St Albans Altona by 100pts
Deer Park v Albion = Deer Park by 6pts

Hoppers v Heights = Hoppers by 200pts

Port Colts v Spotty = Spotty by 50pts

Sunshine v Nth Foots = Sunshine by 80pts

Don't think I could have got any closer with the above predictions.

GB50 - you are spot on, $$$ is the one factor that will get you deep in the finals.

EVO - Do you really think you will keep your good juniors if you are still in div2 when they are being offered $$$ to go to a div1 club like Hoppers who are just around the corner. please don't say yes because we all know if an 18 yo is offered $200 per game in div 1 and you offer him $50 per game in div 2 they will jump ship at a rapid rate.

Having good juniors is not enough to bring success at a senior level. A desire to play senior footy with the club has to be nurtured at the junior level.You need to have the sort of club culture that will have junior players coming through not consider leaving regardless of the money being thrown at them.
Altona have had a poor club culture for many years and good young players left in droves.
Spotswood on the other hand have a great club culture and their juniors stay on with a desire to become part of the successful dynasty that has been created.
Good club culture = success
Poor club culture = failure
Albion have proved that buying in mercenaries only brings success while the money lasts.

Barry Hall signs with wangaratta rovers in the ovens and murray league deer parks money was to dirty to take :thumbsu:

Some good games coming up this week.

Firstly looking fwd to taking on my old mates at the colts, they will get a few players back and will be very tough to beat. We will have another 3 additions to our side from last week, back at our home ground where colts struggled last year and with some good first half form against sunshine last week we are hopefull of putting 4 quarters together.
A few tricks up my sleeve and i'm sure we can give them a great hit out.

Spotty/Altona will be a cracker, have heard altona will be missing a few so expect spotty to get over the line.

Hoppers/deer park, i was impressed with deer park not sure if they get any of their players back but think they can win in a close contest.

Albion/sunshine will be another good game between the rivals, even on the cats home ground i think the kangas can win.

Stalbans/ sunshine hghts, the saints will get on the board with a easy win.

Nice cold wet week end of footy ahead!!

Spotty/Altona will be a cracker, have heard altona will be missing a few so expect spotty to get over the line.

Hoppers/deer park, i was impressed with deer park not sure if they get any of their players back but think they can win in a close contest.

Albion/sunshine will be another good game between the rivals, even on the cats home ground i think the kangas can win.

Stalbans/ sunshine hghts, the saints will get on the board with a easy win.

Spotty
Hoppers
Sunshine
Saints
Colts. Was impressed last week. Played well for 2 and a half quarters. Where were Perkins and Urch? I wrote a report on the match Rock, you want it? HAHA!

Spotty
Hoppers
Sunshine
Saints
Colts. Was impressed last week. Played well for 2 and a half quarters. Where were Perkins and Urch? I wrote a report on the match Rock, you want it? HAHA!

I'm pretty sure i know most of their players, although new coach mite have them playing a bit different...

C'mon Rock, expecting you to pull out something special this week mate.

ROCK has a stalker:thumbsu:

Tips - Round 5

Albion v Sunshine - Sunshine by 14 points.
Hoppers v Deer Park - Hoppers by 3 points.
Nth Foots v Colts - Colts by 68 points.
Spotty v Altona - Spotty by 37 points.
Saints v Heights - St Albans by 15 points.

Begbee - Catch up for a beer after game;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back