Collingwood player involved in alleged sexual assualt

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Milne and Montagna still cop the 'rapist' tag even though they were cleared. Once names are released to the media...it's guilty until proven innocent.

For the last time, I was responding to this comment, but felt no need to correct them, it was easily understood :D

Agree with Ed on the shock jock:

COLLINGWOOD president Eddie McGuire has labelled Neil Mitchell a "self-appointed, self-important windbag" after the 3AW host named the players interviewed by police regarding a sexual assault.
Premiership player Dayne Beams and teammate John McCarthy have been named as being the players who have been interviewed by police regarding a sexual assault.

Mcguire hit out at radio talk-back host Mitchell at the end of his Triple M breakfast show this morning, after the 3AW broadcaster named the duo on his program this morning.

"Collingwood Football Club, of which I am the president, has not said anything other than it will protect the rights of people," McGuire said.

"Collingwood Football Club and the players involved have openly co-operated with every situation asked of us.

"Neil mitchell is a self-appointed, self-important windbag.

"He talks of fairness? This is the hypocrisy of Neil Mitchell."

McGuire said Mitchell promoted the rights of all people to be equal in the eyes of the law "unless they're someone he wants to name."

"It is damned well irresponsible."

Mcguire also hit out at Mitchell's accusations that media outlets had been threatened with legal action by the club if they revealed the players involved.

"But to put the word 'club threat' (makes it) sound like we're bullies. It is a complete unmitigated lie and misrepresention of (the) situation."

There is more
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...-over-named-pies/story-fn3dxity-1225935322578

Eddie has zero credibility to be honest. If this was any other club he'd be all over it himself. Sorry Eddie what goes around comes around.

Eddie has zero credibility to be honest. If this was any other club he'd be all over it himself. Sorry Eddie what goes around comes around.

it should be innocent until proven guilty. names should not be released until the police investigation or the trial is over.

unfortunately this doesnt happen, something eddie has contributed to in the past. eddie should suck it up, usually he is the one dishing it out.

presumption of innocence? right to privacy?

Neil-Mitchell-300x200.jpg

...not on my watch.

call in; tell us what you think. do my job for me.

i am no legal expert. but what mitchell said would harm the case if it was sent to court. wouldn't it

i dont think it would, since the jury preconceptions would be more related to them being collingwood football players, and not who they actually are, unless it was someone who had been in controversy like didak. these guys would be so little known other than just being footy players that i dont think it would hurt the case. it will hurt the players more, even if they find a video that proves they are innocent. their reputation is now ruined forever, unfortunately if they are innocent.

i am no legal expert. but what mitchell said would harm the case if it was sent to court. wouldn't it
No. People are routinely identified as suspect/interviewed/arrested before the matter hits the Courts. The only reasons names are sometimes suppressed is so as to avoid possible jurors being influenced by media reporting.

The one person who will never be identified is the alleged victim - the media won't name her now, and won't during any Court proceedings (including afterward) if it gets that far as there is legislation in place preventing the identification of victims of sex offences.

milne and montagna!! we pressured media to release their names!!!

As earlier posted (by Saints supporters), the Saints named them because their hands were forced by Hutchy because he incorrectly named Kosi as part of the investigation. What's that got to do with Eddie?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The one person who will never be identified is the alleged victim - the media won't name her now, and won't during any Court proceedings (including afterward) if it gets that far as there is legislation in place preventing the identification of victims of sex offences.
I hope she is named and shamed if it becomes clearly evident that no crime was committed and that she merely felt stupid and guilty of her part in the situation.

I hope she is named and shamed if it becomes clearly evident that no crime was committed and that she merely felt stupid and guilty of her part in the situation.

Short of her being charged with having made a false complaint (and that is most unlikely in the circumstances), we'll never know...

As earlier posted (by Saints supporters), the Saints named them because their hands were forced by Hutchy because he incorrectly named Kosi as part of the investigation. What's that got to do with Eddie?

What station was Hutchy working for?????:)

Don't think there was a lot of sympathy for Fev in recent times. Named and suspended by Brisbane before even being interviewed by police. I didn't hear Eddie up in arms then - credibility zero.

These players have been interviewed by the police, not the secret police. Why doesn't the public have the right to know ?

Mitchel claims he named them for the benefit of the other Collingwood players, stating it was "unfair" that they may be implicated.

What a load of s**t. I wouldn't mind as much if he was honest about why he went public, to get ratings, but to cover it with that nonesense is just insulting.

beams looks like someone who wants to go to jail anyway

What station was Hutchy working for?????:)

Ah, so I just did a little search. Seem Hutchy worked for channel 7 when he broke that story. Try harder next time :rolleyes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hutchy

On 29 September 2006 it was revealed that Hutchison would be leaving the Seven Network to join Channel Nine's football team in 2007. It was considered a shock defection due to the fact that Seven, who he had been with for eight years, won a share of the telecast rights to AFL matches for the first time since 2001.

Only joined channel 9 3 years after the fact.

Mitchel claims he named them for the benefit of the other Collingwood players, stating it was "unfair" that they may be implicated.

What a load of s**t. I wouldn't mind as much if he was honest about why he went public, to get ratings, but to cover it with that nonesense is just insulting.

For Eddie to complain about this is insulting. Take your medicine Eddie.

well there could be only 1 court case to come out of this tbh and it might not be a the sexual assault case. it could beam and the other bloke suing mitchell

For Eddie to complain about this is insulting. Take your medicine Eddie.

Why is it insulting? You haven't given any proof of Eddie promoting stories like this. The only claim you made of Hutchy wasn't even correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back