Collingwood player involved in alleged sexual assualt

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
While the actions you have described above would be foolish, foolishness is not a crime. People should be urged not to be foolish, ( which is probably what Spider was trying to do in his own silly way ) but this foolishness cannot and should not lessen the consequnces of those comitting a crime.

Are you suggesting that people who do something foolish should be prosecuted? Sir , you are under arrest for walking up this alley at night.
Young Lady, you are under arrest for exposing your elbows, you may provoke rapists , grrrr .
That's not what's being said at all. Everyone wants this sort of behaviour to cease, but quite simply it is not going to unless both parties recognise their roles in it.

While the actions you have described above would be foolish, foolishness is not a crime. People should be urged not to be foolish, ( which is probably what Spider was trying to do in his own silly way ) but this foolishness cannot and should not lessen the consequnces of those comitting a crime.

Are you suggesting that people who do something foolish should be prosecuted? Sir , you are under arrest for walking up this alley at night.
Young Lady, you are under arrest for exposing your elbows, you may provoke rapists , grrrr .

lol, of course not, but people who place responsibility for their safety in the hands of others WILL get punished. Humans have always taken advantage of each other and walking up that alley at night past the group of men dressed like LA gang members will get you robbed. Wearing or carrying expensive gear will provoke the robbery.

Equally a girl out alone, drunk or high who goes home with randoms must see that 'bad guys' might take advantage. Carping on about these guys having the responsibility not to rape is like saying the junkie walking past the empty house with open windows and a killer sound system in full view has the responsibility not to break in, of course he does, but he will anyway.

It's not that simple. Men shouldn't rape women. People also shouldn't bash, rob, murder or in any other ways offend other people. But the fact is they do. People need to take responsibility for their own welfare. That does not excuse the perpetrators, but it also does not abrogate people of personal responsibility.

That's not what he's saying at all. He's saying that if girls go out drinking heavily and chasing guys at 3am they are putting themselves in harm's way. It's as irresponsbile as frequently walking down an alley in a dangerous part of time late at night and wondering why you get mugged. That doesn't excuse the mugger, but people need to take more care.

The complaints by some WAGs also shows their lack of common sense. Neither Spida nor Kerrie-Ann was having a go at WAGs - simply at girls who get drunk and chase footballers at 3am.

As for pack rape, especially in the case where the girl knows one or more of the assailants, of course that is inexcusable and most likely not an issue where the girl has behaved irresponsibly. I wonder what "pressured" means in that case though?

But, the warning from Spida and Kerrie-Ann should be heeded by a number of girls.

Also, naming the footballers before any investigation is completed is disgraceful.
couldn't agree with this more.

if i had a sister, or a daughter who was in this situation - first and foremost, i'd wanna kill the guys involved.

but at some point you have to actually ask her "what the **** were you doing going back with 5 guys at 3am?"

if i had a sister, or a daughter who was in this situation - first and foremost, i'd wanna kill the guys involved.

but at some point you have to actually ask her "what the **** were you doing going back with 5 guys at 3am?"

Not sure if its relevant in this particular case though. If she was with her boy"friend" she may have been pretty much dragged into the situation.

Not sure if its relevant in this particular case though. If she was with her boy"friend" she may have been pretty much dragged into the situation.

well its hard to comment on individual cases without knowing all the details, but i think the general rule still applies.

if her boyfriend is putting her into those situations i'd be questioning her judgement of him, but kicking his ass as well.

one point that i'm not sure people have mentioned yet in the 3AW link:

No allegations have been made against the players, they strongly deny any wrongdoing and they are cooperating with the police investigation into the complaint.

read into that what you will...

Why do many here detract from this girl supposedly being there with her boyfriend? Therefore I ask, "what were these 5 guys doing to this girl at 3am?"

well its hard to comment on individual cases without knowing all the details, but i think the general rule still applies.

if her boyfriend is putting her into those situations i'd be questioning her judgement of him, but kicking his ass as well.

one point that i'm not sure people have mentioned yet in the 3AW link:

read into that what you will...

I'm sure she is re-considering her options. Probably thought she knew him.
Not everyone is great at kicking the asses of those who are bigger and stronger.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They were 'cleared' but were never proven innocent, :( and these latest allegations will probably be the same scenario all over again. Collingwood players cleared, without being proven innocent.

What? Do you mean weren't found 'not guilty'?

Good work by Mitchell. I particuarly like it that he released the names the day after the deputy police comissioner said he was upset names had been circulated online, so of course the obvious thing to do is to announce them on prime time radio. Now that Mitchell has named them, every other media outlet is rushing to publish the story.

I suppose it was going to come out sooner or later. Dare say they will be stuck with this tag for the rest of their careers now, regardless of outcome, much like Milne. Hopefully it'll stop a few Pies supporters from doing the rapist chant at Saints games now...

Good work by Mitchell. I particuarly like it that he released the names the day after the deputy police comissioner said he was upset names had been circulated online, so of course the obvious thing to do is to announce them on prime time radio. Now that Mitchell has named them, every other media outlet is rushing to publish the story.

I suppose it was going to come out sooner or later. Dare say they will be stuck with this tag for the rest of their careers now, regardless of outcome, much like Milne. Hopefully it'll stop a few Pies supporters from doing the rapist chant at Saints games now...

Maybe it will stop MALTHOUSE for opening his mouth also. :thumbsu:

Agree with Ed on the shock jock:

COLLINGWOOD president Eddie McGuire has labelled Neil Mitchell a "self-appointed, self-important windbag" after the 3AW host named the players interviewed by police regarding a sexual assault.
Premiership player Dayne Beams and teammate John McCarthy have been named as being the players who have been interviewed by police regarding a sexual assault.

Mcguire hit out at radio talk-back host Mitchell at the end of his Triple M breakfast show this morning, after the 3AW broadcaster named the duo on his program this morning.

"Collingwood Football Club, of which I am the president, has not said anything other than it will protect the rights of people," McGuire said.

"Collingwood Football Club and the players involved have openly co-operated with every situation asked of us.

"Neil mitchell is a self-appointed, self-important windbag.

"He talks of fairness? This is the hypocrisy of Neil Mitchell."

McGuire said Mitchell promoted the rights of all people to be equal in the eyes of the law "unless they're someone he wants to name."

"It is damned well irresponsible."

Mcguire also hit out at Mitchell's accusations that media outlets had been threatened with legal action by the club if they revealed the players involved.

"But to put the word 'club threat' (makes it) sound like we're bullies. It is a complete unmitigated lie and misrepresention of (the) situation."

There is more
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...-over-named-pies/story-fn3dxity-1225935322578

Why do many here detract from this girl supposedly being there with her boyfriend? Therefore I ask, "what were these 5 guys doing to this girl at 3am?"
This particular case has certain elements to it that make it different from the general "stray" example, but it is still useful for people to discuss the broader topic as it needs to be addressed.

your not supposed to be proven innocent, your supposed to be proven guilty.

This. Unfortunately everyone (including Pies supporters) forget this :thumbsu:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back