GWS Entry to be Delayed by One Year!

Remove this Banner Ad

1. One Gold Coast performance, that was possibly one of the worst in recent years. With such a young list, things can only get worse as players tire over the year.

I disagree. They'll definitely get smashed a few more times through the year, but on the whole I think they'll improve. Either way, it's pure speculation, and my point was that if they AFL are basing a massive decision of postponing GWS on speculation, they are stupid.

2. The stadium will get built, and GWS isnt folding merely delayed by one year, contracts can be rolled.

A year delay isn't something 'mere' when everything over the last few years has been directed for 2012. To change that would throw all their plans out of whack. Stadiums, TV deals, sponsorships sold on the back of 18 teams, etc.

3. The realisation that GWS will need to be more battle hardened before entry means playing in the premier state competition before entry. They cannot afford to get smashed from round 1 if they want to wi over Sydneys rugby league heartland.

All the rhetoric coming out of AFL House has been about just how long they are willing to back the new sides. They've talked about 15-20 years. Despite popular opinion, the AFL are not stupid. They would have known it was going to be hard. GWS isn't going to live or die based on the first year.

4. Gold Coast played 1 yr in VFL before entry. GWS will have 1 yr in Canberra and then a second year in VFL. More practice against men.

You know what else is practice against men? Playing in the AFL. The Canberra league isn't as bad as people think. Throughout the year they'll play against the Swans reserves, the Lions Reserves and the Suns reserves. They'll play in the Foxtel Cup. At the end of the day, you have to chuck them in at some time. An extra year in the VFL won't do much. Especially since the team they actually have now isn't going to be the team they play next year. Are they going to be allowed to take their draft picks this year or next?

5. Contracts can be rolle, team is not folding merely being delayed for a year.

See 2.

6. Good argument here.

Let's be honest, it's all it deserved.

And last of all, why are your comments ny more credible than mine seeing as though you are nly a guy on Big Footy also.

Well, I'm trying to back mine up with logic and reason. You're coming in with a crazy rumour that makes no sense.

The fact that people genuinely believe that GWS will have a better team than Gold Coast baffles me.

Gold Coast poached the best player in the game.....Gary Ablett.

The next best player Dane Swan has resigned and its doubtful they will get other collingwood starting team players.

I think Gold Coasts performance will have other players thinking of jumping ship second thoughts about signing for them.

Anyway, why would a player who is a legend in VIC/WA/SA want to go to Western Sydney and become anonymous....not only that, get smacked every week.

I think he AFL has valid concerns....perhaps GWS ARE struggling to get interest from genuine good senior players, and have notified the AFL.
Lets face it Folau cant cut it, and both he and Hunt will end up playing rugby league again.

One of the worst performances in recent memory? Are you having a lend? They were a team of kids up against AFL-hardened men. That they got within 119 points was the surprise, not that they lost by that much.

Richmond's had 10 games in the past decade that were far worse than that, and don't even get me started on my team. There have been plenty of 40 point losses that the Eagles have had which are far more embarrassing than the GC last Saturday.

The fact that people genuinely believe that GWS will have a better team than Gold Coast baffles me.

Gold Coast poached the best player in the game.....Gary Ablett.

The next best player Dane Swan has resigned and its doubtful they will get other collingwood starting team players.

I think Gold Coasts performance will have other players thinking of jumping ship second thoughts about signing for them.

Anyway, why would a player who is a legend in VIC/WA/SA want to go to Western Sydney and become anonymous....not only that, get smacked every week.

I think he AFL has valid concerns....perhaps GWS ARE struggling to get interest from genuine good senior players, and have notified the AFL.
Lets face it Folau cant cut it, and both he and Hunt will end up playing rugby league again.

Not every player likes attention. The idea of anonymity is probably a good one to a lot of players, especially once they hit the 25-26 bracket and start settling down and thinking about families.

Plugger came to Sydney for that exact reason.

The other thing to consider is that Western Sydney actually does not care for AFL. Despite what patriotic Victorians and AFL fans might think.

They cannot afford to present to the Western Sydney people a team that gets smoked every single week....which is likely......

This market is a hell of a lot more tougher than Gold Coast, despite Kevin Sheedy's spin, which proves he is going senile.

A team lost a Grand Final by 119 points not that long ago, thrashings happen every season like people have said, its just a shame it was the Gold Coast first game which has seen people over react a bit.

The team is being put there to thrive in 20 years not next season. No one is going to remember GWS' 1st season in 20 years.

GC have had one game Port lost a GF by the same score. The AFL doesn't change plans its had for 10 years because of one game.

You are very harsh on us but you make one valid point. The team will only be supported if we win. Sydney is a very fickle place and if we get pumped by 80-100 pts each week attendances will be poor. I would rather wait one more year with a mature list and build crowd support.

The other thing to consider is that Western Sydney actually does not care for AFL. Despite what patriotic Victorians and AFL fans might think.

They cannot afford to present to the Western Sydney people a team that gets smoked every single week....which is likely......

This market is a hell of a lot more tougher than Gold Coast, despite Kevin Sheedy's spin, which proves he is going senile.

:rolleyes:Why would any of that change the entry date by a year?

More chance of GWS entering mid-2011 in order to get rid of the bye.

You are very harsh on us but you make one valid point. The team will only be supported if we win. Sydney is a very fickle place and if we get pumped by 80-100 pts each week attendances will be poor. I would rather wait one more year with a mature list and build crowd support.

The AFL knows this, they wont be concerned if crowds and members are down in the 1st couple of years. It's a long term plan. Thats why they gave the new teams so many good draft picks. In 5 years when your top 4 people will come and hopefully most will stay on board.

So you are expecting GWS to recruit around 18 very good players from other teams ...or are you expecting a bunch of kids to be competitive from day one ???

Either way you are in for the same wake up call as Bluey M'cKenna got the other night .

The AFL dumps up to 80 players every year - not so hard to get the competitive ones and give them a 1-2 year extension while the kids mature.

Cant fathom why they didnt put Nablett in - would have made a contest up forward

The AFL knows this, they wont be concerned if crowds and members are down in the 1st couple of years. It's a long term plan. Thats why they gave the new teams so many good draft picks. In 5 years when your top 4 people will come and hopefully most will stay on board.

The Sydney media will have a field day on us (they have already started). The Sydney media will build/destroy our profile not Sheedy,Melbourne papers or Blog sites. Get ride of gimmicks like Folau. We will be judged first year, a least make us half competitive or plan out one year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

just as a sidenote this is the first i realised GWS aren't playing in the VFL this year. why is that?? they should be like gold coast were last year.

can't see them delaying the start of GWS.... Too much work has gone in.

what is more likely is that Sheedy and co. are put under a lot more pressure to sign more AFL ready players and go into round one next year with a much more conventional looking team. not a list which has a quarter of it's players without any AFL experience.

this should have happened to the gold coast.

GWS can easily be competitive from the start - they simply have to choose to trade quite a few of their high draft picks.

Gold Coast have taken the view that if they get a group of highly talented players (who are all 18ish now) and that group goes through the system and peaks together (in about 6 years time) that they could well win a flag or 2. Time will tell. But they have chosen to win or nearly win this year's wooden spoon in order to win or nearly win the 2017 flag. That's their choice - we'll see if the plan works.

GWS can try the same strategy or a different one. It would be more interesting if they tried a different one.

But they have already made one key decision differently - they have gone with an experienced coaching staff. I'd score that decision in GWS's favour.

kids aren't the problem at the Suns, it's recycled hacks who have cashed in for a pay cheque, like Brennan and Krakeour and Brown

What i hear is they will be entering the competition next year but the AFL are going to give them extra consessions even more the GCS got. Will be interesting .

the only reason this could possibly happen is if the GWS came back and told the AFL that they couldn't get any signings and they were only going to field a team of 17 and 18 year olds.
Yep
Not that I believe it but it would make some sense if this was the case and the AFL wanted to outsmart clubs that re signed players to deals ending after GWS's first year.

It would be good news for Collingwood though.

The Sydney media will have a field day on us (they have already started). The Sydney media will build/destroy our profile not Sheedy,Melbourne papers or Blog sites. Get ride of gimmicks like Folau. We will be judged first year, a least make us half competitive or plan out one year.

AFL would be stupid to No bring GWS giants to the AFL next season.

Keep in Mind You compare other Non-victorian teams that started in the AFL. One huge example was the west coast eagles when they entered the comp in 1987.

I know they had some experienced guys like Steve Malaxos and Ross Glendenning in the Squad but it was mainly full of teenagers like John Worsfold, Chris Mainwaring and Chris Lewis.

Quickest way to build up a squad and win a flag is by developing youth. Just like West coast in 1992 and 94, Crows in 97 and 98 and Port in 2004.

Sure GWS will have a lot of 18-19 year olds. If you keep All those 18-19 year olds for 4 years, GWS will have a squad full of 22 and 23 year olds with 60, 70, 80 games worth of experience.

Sure GWS will be crap for the 1st 2-3 seasons but in the end GWS will be competitive.

What i hear is they will be entering the competition next year but the AFL are going to give them extra consessions even more the GCS got. Will be interesting .

how many more concessions could they actually give them apart from taking players out of clubs and forcibly relocating them?

how many more concessions could they actually give them apart from taking players out of clubs and forcibly relocating them?

If Demetriou did that it wouldnt suprise me at all......

AFL would be stupid to No bring GWS giants to the AFL next season.

Keep in Mind You compare other Non-victorian teams that started in the AFL. One huge example was the west coast eagles when they entered the comp in 1987.

I know they had some experienced guys like Steve Malaxos and Ross Glendenning in the Squad but it was mainly full of teenagers like John Worsfold, Chris Mainwaring and Chris Lewis.

Quickest way to build up a squad and win a flag is by developing youth. Just like West coast in 1992 and 94, Crows in 97 and 98 and Port in 2004.

Sure GWS will have a lot of 18-19 year olds. If you keep All those 18-19 year olds for 4 years, GWS will have a squad full of 22 and 23 year olds with 60, 70, 80 games worth of experience.

Sure GWS will be crap for the 1st 2-3 seasons but in the end GWS will be competitive.

What you are forgetting is that Sydney is not an AFL city. We haven't grown up on the sport. It is at best, it's our 3rd sport. I think non-sydney people forget that. People in AFL cities will accept development, Sydney will not. Let's do it properly or it will fail. Everyone is saying 'forget about the first year(s)'. I think the AFL will be right to wait a year.

GWS is a long term prospect. I doubt the AFL would be that concerned about what happens in year 1, be it next year or 2013. GWS will have an initial supporter base made up of people who want to follow AFL - I really don't think there will be many converts. In 20 or 30 years time the AFL will be hoping that side has a significant supporter base made up of people growing up following the club.

OP is full of ****

Why?

TV Deal.

To get the $1 Billion TV Deal, the AFL has to come up with NINE games per weekend from 2012 - with GWS next year, that would only make 8 games per weekend.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back