Preview Who stays, who goes? - Hawthorn vs Eagles

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Roughy looked good and comfortable in the forward half not seen since 2008. Would be insane to take him from there. Gibson and Gilham can handle the key forward/ruckman with Birchall a possibility to take the 3rd tall. This week I'd go:

Gilham: Cox/Nic Nat if forward. Otherwise on Lynch
Gibson: Kennedy
Birchall: Whoever Gilham doesn't take

Dont need Murphy when we have Hodge in the team.

Ill play Hode on one of West Cost big men, games in Tassie and the big men never domminate down there.

Mitchell and Rioli in.

Stratts (BIG BIG LOSS) and Osbourne (injured) out. If ossie comes up, Guerra must go back to the 2s.

Less worried about Stratts than I would have been last year.

On Saturday both Hodge and Burgoyne had spells as FF, with only Rough or Buddy as a tall across CHF.

Expect that there will be lots of variatons on Saturday in how we line-up with Renouf, Hale and Rough all getting time in the ruck; and Rough and Renouf both getting time down back, if nothing else, playing a kick behind play.

Eagles have TALL (Cox/NN) or BIG (qstick)forwards alongside Kennedy. Will always have 2, and possibly 3 down there to stretch us.

So Gilham will have to take a genuine tall. That means Gibson won't get much help, and will be out of his weight division.

Murph is a medium/small defender, doesn't have a matchup with LeCras out.
Schoenmakers hasn't played for a month.
Milne strikes me as more of a Birchall-esque defender (KPP heigh/size, midfielder skillset) - and has been playing onball/wing in tagging type roles anyway.
Litherland, Sierakowski and Langford are only mediums, and far too small stature.
Morton's virtually forgotten.

That leaves Lisle.

I'd prefer to give Lisle his debut up forward, in a position he's naturally suited to, familliar with, and currently performing reasonably well in. That leaves Roughead to be something of a "swingman", going back into defence as required, with Lisle, Franklin and Hale up forward.

Perhaps Renouf could go to defence but I wouldn't like to see him play out of the square (which they'd do immediately).

With Mitchell hopefully back, I'd push Hodge to a back flank alongside Gilham and Gibson for aerial support, ask a lot of Birchall and just cross our fingers. If Hale and/or Lisle get going up forward, or we are getting spanked in defence, then Roughy can push back for extra coverage.

Ahhh Litherland is on the senior list mate:eek:[/QUOT

do not take the eagles lightly. after all they still have cox, nait, ,wilson, darling and these sorts that can really trouble our backline.

out stratts,ozzy,bateman
in- lisle/litherland rioli mitchell

Eagles have TALL (Cox/NN) or BIG (qstick)forwards alongside Kennedy. Will always have 2, and possibly 3 down there to stretch us.

So Gilham will have to take a genuine tall. That means Gibson won't get much help, and will be out of his weight division.

Milne strikes me as more of a Birchall-esque defender (KPP heigh/size, midfielder skillset) - and has been playing onball/wing in tagging type roles anyway.
Litherland, Sierakowski and Langford are only mediums, and far too small stature.

That leaves Lisle.

I'd prefer to give Lisle his debut up forward, in a position he's naturally suited to, familliar with, and currently performing reasonably well in. That leaves Roughead to be something of a "swingman", going back into defence as required, with Lisle, Franklin and Hale up forward.

Perhaps Renouf could go to defence but I wouldn't like to see him play out of the square (which they'd do immediately).

With Mitchell hopefully back, I'd push Hodge to a back flank alongside Gilham and Gibson for aerial support, ask a lot of Birchall and just cross our fingers. If Hale and/or Lisle get going up forward, or we are getting spanked in defence, then Roughy can push back for extra coverage.

Still think it would be a waste to sent The Rough back. I think the quality of the WCE forwards has been overplayed. If we can gain contro in the guts which I reasonably expect the rest will look after itself.

From a back half perspective I dont mind the idea of going in a little undersize.

Lets employ the quick rebound from defense tactic put pressure on Q stick & co. to make their forwards defensively accountable. Quick rebound has worked well for us so far this year.

That leaves Lisle.

A lot of what you say makes sense as usual SN but with regards to Will he is a great kick and shows a lot of composure. Given our selection policy history and game plan and the fact that stratton is out for a period of time i think Will is a good chance to debut maybe not this week as you say but soon if he keeps up his form

That is all of course assuming Schoey is a while of due to fitness.

With Cox, NicNat,Kennedy,Qstick and Darling, we must bring in a tall, unless Hale or Roughy are spending considerable time back there?

I would have to say in Mitchell, Rioli, out with Stratton and possilby Bruce, or even Lewis. Would really like to see Puopolo in there, but we don't want to make too many changes in one week, especially after such a good win.

It's going to be tough to deal with Cox, Natinui, Darling, Kennedy, and if Worsfold has any idea he will try to use these guys to maximum effect. Although if our midfielders and forwards keep up the pressure they have been in the past 2 games, we won't really need to put lots of emphasis on the defence.

Didn't Clarkson already say after last weeks match that Murphy would be coming in for Stratton when asked about his injury? 99% sure he did...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bruce:190cm,87kgs, Muphy:189cm, 85kgs Shoenmakers:193cm, 86kgs Stratton:189cm, 82kgs...

All is not lost and we still have a full list of fit and healthy midfielders to run riot.

Im not afraid of the Weagles big forwards, Tassie has become our fortress we have won our last 3 games by a total of around 300 points and our only lost down there last year in round 5 and it was when had no ruck and still we had a chance to beat the Roos..

I would have to say in Mitchell, Rioli, out with Stratton and possilby Bruce, or even Lewis. Would really like to see Puopolo in there, but we don't want to make too many changes in one week, especially after such a good win.

It's going to be tough to deal with Cox, Natinui, Darling, Kennedy, and if Worsfold has any idea he will try to use these guys to maximum effect. Although if our midfielders and forwards keep up the pressure they have been in the past 2 games, we won't really need to put lots of emphasis on the defence.

Are you serious? Why?

Actually I'll take that one back, Lewis was actually really good this weekend, so he deserves a spot. It will be tough to choose who comes out though, as the whole team is performing well. I forgot to mention Osbourne, he is also a likely one to miss this weekend for Mitchell/Rioli to be included.

Because there is quite few posters in here that just dont want him in brown and gold and will be happy to see him be traded...
I don't want to see him traded, he was very poor in his first 2 games though, and one good game out of 3 doesn't make someone an automatic selection.

I don't want to see him traded, he was very poor in his first 2 games though, and one good game out of 3 doesn't make someone an automatic selection.

Poor against Melbourne??? Really??? His coming on as sub was part of the kickstart for the 3rd quarter. Jordy's form is fine

Just saying he isn't a guaranteed selection, due to the amount of quality we have in the midfield, with still more to come.

Just saying he isn't a guaranteed selection, due to the amount of quality we have in the midfield, with still more to come.

Yup i agree we have a huge amount of talent to come into the midfield, i dont think we have this problam for a while, but i dont think that Lewis will be going anywhere soon though, maybe Ozzie will make room and maybe Sewell because he had his shin on ice after the game but honestly i dont think Lewis is the one to go...

Based on his first 3 weeks though he is a long, long way from being dropped. Was good in round 1 keeping Johncock quiet, had an influence when coming on as sub against Melbourne, and was close to BOG on Saturday.

Some tough calls. Rioli and Mitchell would have to come in. I am hoping Shield or Savage arent given the chop as they have been outstanding. We look a much quicker team with savage in the lineup.

Maybe Cameron Bruce to Boxhill?

Actually I was happy with him how he played when he came on, he didn't annoy me cause he picked the ball up and kicked it instead of kick it off the ground, he does have skill, I think he will be sub again!

IN: Mitchell, Rioli and Lisle

OUT: Osborne (Calf), Stratton (Knee), Suckling (Sorry had to)

Yup i agree we have a huge amount of talent to come into the midfield, i dont think we have this problam for a while, but i dont think that Lewis will be going anywhere soon though, maybe Ozzie will make room and maybe Sewell because he had his shin on ice after the game but honestly i dont think Lewis is the one to go...

They all had ice somewhere, Gibbo had some on his knees, etc....

???? :eek:

Lewis had two bad games for a reason, Clarko was playing him in the wrong position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back