Preview Who stays, who goes? - Hawthorn vs Eagles

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
C'mon people, have you not realised yet that Clarko is the most predictable coach in the league? He's going to bring in Murphy regardless of the need for him and the form of Lisle, Cheney, et al. Why do you think he played for BHH 2nds? To gain match fitness so that he can be brought back into the team ASAP.

Outs will be Ozzie, Guerra and Ellis.

Would love it is Stratts was okay to play :p

Replace Ellis with Stratts and I reckon you're on the money. All 3 injured/hurt on the weekend s replace them. Need to give them every chance to get up for the Cats match, even if we don't use them. The more choices the better.

Rioli and Mitchell to come in, and I'd say we would want to replace Stratton with a tall given the Eagles are a fairly tall brigade around the ground (Cox, NicNat, Lynch).

The backmen will have their work cut out for them if the ball goes down there, so hopefully the midfield can really help them out by wining the contested ball and chasing ferociously when the Eagles are on the rebound, as if they get it down there quick to a 1 on 1 they will be hard to outmark with their height.

Looking forward to seeing how Renouf and especially Hale go against what is possibly the strongest ruck division in the league at the moment. If they can just get hands on the ball and bring it to ground, after watching the boys go at it in the wet last night I am confident in their ability to outwork the Eagles midfield and win the contested ball. What we can't afford is to give away frees in the centre square where they can bomb it straight to their tall forwards, nor let their ruckman get a clean 25-30meter punch on the ball.

Anyone else hoping it rains given what we saw on the weekend? :D

Have to agree. He just seems a step behind.

Was recruited as a depth player and our midfield is fine at the moment.

Losing Stratton is a gut wrenching loss for which I cant come up with an answer for.... Roughead going back would be a shocking decision. Shoey still not right. Hale too slow to defend.

Got to give Litherland a run I suppose...

IN: Mitchell, Rioli, Litherland
OUT: Stratton, Bruce, Ladson (or Guerra if not fit)

How far away is Murphy?

you talk of Murphy??? WTF, Laddo played a cracker :confused:

INS: S.Mitchell C.Rioli T.Murphy
OUTS: B.Stratton (Knee) M.Osborne (Quad) M.Suckling (Omit)

Suckling is unlucky. On form Savage & Sheils are doing better, so there ahead of him at the moment. It was a physical game of footy. It would be interesting to see how we recover from that this week. So i wouldn't be surprised if we rested 1-2 players for this Saturday's trip down tasmania. So Mitchell & Rioli are fresh they come in at the right time.

Backs B.Guerra S.Gilham R.Ladson
Half Back C.Bruce J.Gibson G.Birchall
Center J.Lewis S.Mitchell S.Savage
Half Forward S.Burgoyne L.Franklin C.Young
Forward C.Bateman J.Roughead C.Rioli
Ruck B.Renouf L.Hodge B.Sewell

Int X.Ellis D.Hale L.Sheils T.Murphy (Sub)

EMG P.Puopolo M.Suckling M.Osborne

:thumbsu:In: Rioli and Milne
Out: Osbourne (Calf) and Stratton.

"Mobile tall defender who rebounds well and knows how to read the play. Played a key role as a defender in the Murray Bushrangers’ 2008 TAC Cup premiership team and represented Vic Country in the under-18 carnival.

Jason McCartney says: A tall and lean key defender who escaped my attention in the first couple of under-18 games. He really impressed with his attack on the footy and courage to play in front. He was good overhead and also ended up winning a bit of footy against WA, with 18 disposals and six rebound-50s."
Milne's Player Profile on the HFC website

He is 193cm and 80kgs, Stratton 189cm and 82kgs.

Like for like in my opinion. Milne is also over the Navicular problem that plagued him for most of last year. From memory he wasn't disgraced against Richmond and Essendon in 2009 Round 21 and 22.

10 disposals and 3 marks Rnd 21
14 disposals and 4 marks Rnd 22

I'd give him the:thumbsu:

I think Mitch might miss another one. If it is bad enough to miss one in Melbourne, it would be a fair assumption that you would be reluctant to be interstate. That is of course, unless everything is absolutely fine.

Bruce becomes the third tall defender

I say guerra keep's his spot if fit and play's the role bruce has been playing

Ellis goes out

So Mitchell, Rioli IN

Ellis, Stratton OUT

Bruce becomes the third tall defender

I say guerra keep's his spot if fit and play's the role bruce has been playing

Ellis goes out

So Mitchell, Rioli IN

Ellis, Stratton OUT

Me and my brother also agreed that Bruce can go back he is around 190cm tall so he can play that role, but I'd give Goo a rest and keep Ellis he has more to prove and can be a goal sneak like in past games and can go in the midfield too if needed.

Just checked the injury list - for those that thought of Shoemaker read the following (although this was last weeks)
HAWTHORN
Paul Johnson (foot) tbc
Jarryd Morton (foot) tbc
Will Langford (groin) tbc
Ryan Schoenmakers (achilles) 1 week
Sam Menegola (wrist) 3-4 weeks

As such Shoemaker if he plays the coming week - would be at Box Hill, and I believe would be minimum 3 to 4 weeks before he comes into contention for a spot.

Lisle/Cheney/R Milne/Murphy would be the defensive options. As Lisle has recently been played primarily as a fwd - I think that may mean he missus out, Cheney to me is just to short. Milne is quiet lean - so he has height but without knowing how good he is at playing off his man and timing it to come in for the spoil, I dont think he may have the strength for much body on body contests - may be rag dolled a bit. At least with Murphy he has core strength to at least make a contest in body on body without been rag dolled. But we know his weakness, he deosnt play tall, but someone like Darling who is slightly taller but his body hasnt fully matured may be an option.

I think the Weagles will not play Kennedy/Lynch/Darling/Resting ruck fwd all at once - it will be 3 of the 4. If Murphy comes in, then its how we shuffle the 3 defenders around - Gibson/Gilham/Murphy. In terms of pure size - the worst option is Kennedy/Lynch/Resting ruck, this is where a Murphy may need to go to a Kennedy, Gibson to Lynch and Gilham to the resting ruck. When darling is fwd Murphy goes to him and the other two move to cover the 2 taller options.

I state Murphy to Kennedy as he is more a leading fwd than a stop and wrestle type fwd - like Lynch. Lynch I would play Gibson on all the time - I think the strongest from a core strength - holding ground point of view. I would rotate Gilham onto the resting rucks as he I think of the 3 has the better leap and is the tallest of 3.

Personally I thought Ellis was pretty good. Offers us a lot of versatility too. I'd prefer to see Ellis over Birchall, as Birchall can only be used in one position (rebounding off half back), whereas Ellis can do that (probably not quite as well as Birchall) but has better defensive skills than Birchall plus can play midfield and forward.

Murphy will be the one to come in for Stratton, but I am already having flashbacks of 2009 when he was forced to play on bigger forwards. Let's hope that's not the case.

So....

In: Rioli, Mitchell, Murphy
Out: Guerra, Stratton, (one of) Osborne/Birchall/Bateman

I'm coming from a slightly different school of thought, largely based on the weather forecast. We dont really need to replace Stratts with another tall defender this week- it looks like it'll be wet in Tassie. Furthermore Gilhammer and Gibbo are in rare form ATM and the remainder of the defence is combining well. This coupled with our ascendancy around the ground means we can get away without having to play the extra tall given there is no obvious replacement as others have highlighted. So I would go IN: Mitch and Junior Boy OUT:Stratts and Ossie(whom, by the way, looked proppy post match).

Going by Goo hobbling about after the game you would think he may not come up. I would probably rest Ossie if he has a calf issue.

We cannot cover Stratts. On a like for like basis Litherland is probably the closest thing. Cant see it happening but I would really like to see Grimley playing as a permanent back man. He would neutralise the high ball.

Milne hsa been playing as a tall mid. Cant see them playing him as a defender. Markovic or Pederson would have been handy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I assume they'll play Hodge down back again after he dominated the Richmond forward line, and to continue to build match fitness, so perhaps we don't need a straight defender swap?[/quote]

I'm thinking along these lines too. With Mitch and Cyril back in the nidfield we can afford to leave Hodgey in defence and he can play the Stratton role.

I'm coming from a slightly different school of thought, largely based on the weather forecast. We dont really need to replace Stratts with another tall defender this week- it looks like it'll be wet in Tassie. Furthermore Gilhammer and Gibbo are in rare form ATM and the remainder of the defence is combining well. This coupled with our ascendancy around the ground means we can get away without having to play the extra tall given there is no obvious replacement as others have highlighted. So I would go IN: Mitch and Junior Boy OUT:Stratts and Ossie(whom, by the way, looked proppy post match).

I like your weather forecast more than I like mine mate - mine says 19 degrees, 5% chance of rain and a gentle 10kmh north-northwester - ideal conditions for Worlsfold to exploit our height down back.

Lewis was on the sunday footy show and mentioned 'our couple of injuries' so I think that Ozzie was pulling up sore and will be rested.

For me -

Out: Stratton (Inj) Ozzie (Rested) Ellis (Ommited)
In: Murphy, Rioli, Mitchell.

All fairly like for like replacements and will maintain team balance.

Murph improved dramatically last season and we forget how we were singing his praises. He is a real hard competitor with a good attitude and according to Lewis has been playing well at Box Hill. I think he will surprise a few.

Ellis was handy at times but his small body and tendency to 'hold up' the ball do not suit with our present game plan.

hope it rains... who skills in the wet are pretty good! and if it is wet... takes away the marking talls for the coast!

mitch and cyril definitely back in...

out... Stratton... and... atm... no definitive answer

Personally I thought Ellis was pretty good. Offers us a lot of versatility too. I'd prefer to see Ellis over Birchall, as Birchall can only be used in one position (rebounding off half back), whereas Ellis can do that (probably not quite as well as Birchall) but has better defensive skills than Birchall plus can play midfield and forward.

Murphy will be the one to come in for Stratton, but I am already having flashbacks of 2009 when he was forced to play on bigger forwards. Let's hope that's not the case.

So....

In: Rioli, Mitchell, Murphy
Out: Guerra, Stratton, (one of) Osborne/Birchall/Bateman

Can't possibly drop Birchall on his current form.

In Mitchell, Rioli,
Out Stratton, Osbourne/Guerra

Stratton is the obvious guaranteed out, and I think that one of Ossie and Goo will be sent out. Bruce can play as the third tall if required. We'll have to make sure our midfield/forward press is 100% though as we wouldn't want NicNat/Cox etc being 1 on 1 with our defence this week.

Murphy is the other obvious inclusion with Stratton going down, but I'd be loathe to have Murphy trying to play tall again. He is a small defender/stopper and has improved but his role is thus far taken by others.

Plus, the less changes we have to make the better. Let's keep these guys together as much as possible.

Geez i dislike Hodge in the backline. Mid and rest forward. Great goal sense and with him there he commands the ball.

Hodge will be spending a fair bit of time down back with the injury to Stratton along with his lack of fitness due to pre season injury.

He has already played a fair bit in the back half this year and will continue to do so as i think we always look better with him in defense. We've played our best football when Hodge plays that 3rd tall/sweeper role.

From reports on the Box Hill board, Murphy looked underdone.

He might come into calculations, depending on how he trains.

As a left-field suggestion, the Hawks might throw Roughead into defence (he spent about 5-10 minutes in the third quarter against the Tigers) and let Franklin and Hale take up the key forward positions and then go to a small forward line when Hale spells Renouf in the ruck.

So, rather than trying to replace Stratton, we might make only two changes, being Mitchell and Rioli in for Osborne (calf) and Stratton (knee) and hope that we can out-run the Eagles on the big Aurora Stadium ground.

Expect some interesting selections next week. Some of the fitness gurus have recommended we use the bye effectively which means some of our players who are carrying niggles might not see game time next week.

I hope we don't suffer FPS (Fancy Play Syndrome). No time to start getting cutesy with selection...we have some momentum and need to maintain it. Early wins are gold. Let's play the best side available, get wins in the bank and then take the bye.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back