Expansion Good Friday Football is here!

Remove this Banner Ad

Well said! Good Friday is the day I need football the most to try to forget about the fact that in 2012 we still set our lives out around some absurd bronze age fairytale.

I wouldn't worry about that too much, these religous-based holidays are slowing starting to take on a more universal, secular meaning. It's virtually already happened with X-Mas thanks to things such as the invention of Santa, and Easter Sunday is all about chocolate bunny rabbits. The religions don't see it because they're so blinkered, but their special occassions are quickly taking on new meanings in the eyes of mainstream society.

I wouldn't call raising money for sick kids a silly charity.
That said, I'm all for the footy on Good Friday. A game of footy would not affect the donations, infact it would probably help it.
The Channel 7 telethon is very ordinary viewing and it's amazing the public donate the amounts they do given Channel 7's lame 'gala concert' or whatever they call it that comes on at 8.30. Most people have donated by 7.30 anyway - 7 hold back on big corporate donations towards the end of the evening to to make it worthwhile viewing.

Good Friday is the worst day for TV for the whole year (in Melbourne). The appeal is ordinary, and no other channels bother trying to compete with it. This is the main reason we need football on good Friday.

Some of you people seriously need to get a life. It's a public holiday, why don't you just get out and enjoy it rather than sitting around bemoaning the fact that there is no footy on. Religion is not to blame here, the AFL is, so send them an email and let them know you don't have a life and need a game of football to fix that.

Some of you people seriously need to get a life. It's a public holiday, why don't you just get out and enjoy it rather than sitting around bemoaning the fact that there is no footy on. Religion is not to blame here, the AFL is, so send them an email and let them know you don't have a life and need a game of football to fix that.

Being bored on 1 public holiday = no life?

Thx dr Phil u've hit the nail on the head

If Good Friday Night Football does happen, the pioneers of Friday Night Footy deserves to at least play in it. Great way for us to finally get another Friday Night game.

Well said, just amazing some of the comments on here about no footy good friday.

Just don't know what the big deal is, yes it is a boring day but you could actually do something with your family. I think the vast majority of us have a family or are a part of one.

Seriously you should be in counselling if you can't get through good friday without a game of football.

Just don't know what the big deal is, yes it is a boring day but you could actually do something with your family. I think the vast majority of us have a family or are a part of one.

Seriously you should be in counselling if you can't get through good friday without a game of football.

People will survive without Good Friday football as they would without a myriad of other things.

I think we all know that GF football will happen, so the question is why not yet and what is holding it back from happening?
I don't think it is religion though.

South Adelaide v Sturt in Good Friday Night Football for the first time ever in the SANFL I think. I'm there!

That's not the point though, it's such a boring, nothing day that a game of football would be welcome just to provide something to do.

Where else could it be? Melbourne is the heart of the AFL with half the teams in the comp based there. Deal with it.

Perth, Adelaide, Sydney, Brisbane, Gold Coast, Geelong, Launceston (you might be familiar with this one), Canberra, Hobart, Darwin, Cairns.

They could also have more than one match on Good Friday :eek:

I wouldn't worry about that too much, these religous-based holidays are slowing starting to take on a more universal, secular meaning. It's virtually already happened with X-Mas thanks to things such as the invention of Santa, and Easter Sunday is all about chocolate bunny rabbits. The religions don't see it because they're so blinkered, but their special occassions are quickly taking on new meanings in the eyes of mainstream society.

Original comment deleted! pffft

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Id share it with Carlton.
Weve been requesting this fixture each year for a while now.
I actually just realised that Carlton doesnt play any featured games outside the bigger clubs either.
Both teams in the proximity of the appeal- would be a good fixture.
Plus we only play Carlton on Frday nights at the moment anyway so the likelihood is that we will get Good Friday footy and it will stay our only Friday.

Does it solve your problem if it is Port v Freo or does it have to be to Vic clubs to solve your problem?

Overall, I don't care who it is, football is football, and by the time good Friday football is played, that could be a cracker of a game, who knows.

Though personally I'd like to see North get the game, they've been lobbying for it for over a decade (don't care who they play, though Carlton I think are next deserving under my criteria). Clubs should be rewarded for showing initiative and given the opportunity to benefit from that. Of course if they can't draw a good enough crowd over a reasonable time span, then someone else deserves a crack at making it work, I'd have no problem if Port vs Freo was the next combination tried.

Bendigo league to move the match at QEO will be the next step.

With the redevelopment of QEO now completed, you'll get a few thousand make the journey up for that match.

http://www.bendigoadvertiser.com.au/news/local/news/general/qeo-war-over/2401019.aspx

The City of Greater Bendigo has ruled Sandhurst Football Club will have sole use of the Queen Elizabeth Oval on Good Friday next year.

The council was forced to step in yesterday after discussions between the Bendigo Football Netball League and the Bendigo Football Club broke down.

But the talks proved fruitless, leaving the decision in the council’s hands.

It decided in favour of the Dragons and has moved the BFC’s first home match for 2012 against Port Melbourne to Easter Saturday.

Resolved - but as one poster suggested - the better outcome would be to make it a Port home game.

After all, it's Melbourne that seems starved of footy on Good Friday - not the bush.

The holiday itself is originally meant for a day of reflection.

By all means, continue to reflect. How does the existence of a football game prevent you from doing so?

I know the majority of people in today's society and beliefs don't give a toss.

If we don't subscribe to worship of that particular deity, is there any good reason we should give a toss?

However Good Friday wasn't meant to be exploited for a money grabbing football spectacle.

How is it "exploiting" the day? You may have an argument there with Anzac Day, but in case you didn't realise, we have footy every other Friday of the season. Playing football on this day wouldn't be exploiting Good Friday, it would be ensuring business as usual.

Secularism is a pretty simple concept. Let people worship or not worship as they choose. Keep it out of everything else.

By all means, continue to reflect. How does the existence of a football game prevent you from doing so?

It doesn't, but how is it the fault of those who do reflect that no game is played on Good Friday

If we don't subscribe to worship of that particular deity, is there any good reason we should give a toss?

You don't need to give a toss but I also don't understand why people need to be so derogatory and dismissive of those who do

How is it "exploiting" the day? You may have an argument there with Anzac Day, but in case you didn't realise, we have footy every other Friday of the season. Playing football on this day wouldn't be exploiting Good Friday, it would be ensuring business as usual.

Secularism is a pretty simple concept. Let people worship or not worship as they choose. Keep it out of everything else.

It would be nice if just once someone could explain how the non playing of AFL football on a Friday night is the fault of the church when the WAFL, SANFL, country leagues, NRL, NBL the list goes on all play games. Some of them even come under the AFL umbrella ffs. You see the term Good Friday and automatically think it gives you permission to lay blame on religion. As I have previously stated if it was the fault of the church the game wouldn't be played on the Sunday - that is the most important day on the entire Christian calendar.

For the record - although baptized I have no religious interest at all other than attending baptisms, weddings and funerals when required and have no problem should Andy choose to do so with football being played although as already previously stated would prefer it remained in my case at wafl level for the exposure and financial return.

It would be nice if just once someone could explain how the non playing of AFL football on a Friday night is the fault of the church when the WAFL, SANFL, country leagues, NRL, NBL the list goes on all play games. Some of them even come under the AFL umbrella ffs. You see the term Good Friday and automatically think it gives you permission to lay blame on religion. As I have previously stated if it was the fault of the church the game wouldn't be played on the Sunday - that is the most important day on the entire Christian calendar.

Where did I blame it on the church itself? You've taken the definition of secularism out of context. If anything I am baffled at the AFL pandering to one particular section of society.

How was I being "derogatory and dismissive" by the way? Saying "that particular deity" is as watered down as you can can get. There are hundreds of gods being worshipped on this planet at the moment. I am not playing favorites, though I suspect you may be.

Where did I blame it on the church itself? You've taken the definition of secularism out of context. If anything I am baffled at the AFL pandering to one particular section of society.

How was I being "derogatory and dismissive" by the way? Saying "that particular deity" is as watered down as you can can get. There are hundreds of gods being worshipped on this planet at the moment. I am not playing favorites, though I suspect you may be.

Apologies TBD - I wasn't referring specifically to you. Some of the comments I read whenever this matter raises it's head never cease to amaze me.

It doesn't, but nice to have Good Friday without the distraction. If footy was played on Good Friday I'd still watch it.

I never said you should. Was just saying the majority now don't.

Whether you like it or not, these holidays are based on Christian influence. If society wants to divert from the Christians holidays, fine, vote them out. It's not really business as usual, its a different weekend molded around the easter holiday where you got games on thursday and monday I think, I dunno the exact game days. I just don't think the significance of Good Friday for some, should be revamped, marketed and turned into a 'token' blockbuster game.

ANZAC day is a bit different where they embrace the message, I'm not sure, but is probably done so with consultation with the RSL so it fits appropriately. Not sure you're gonna see a pre-game mass before a game ;)

Whether you like it or not, these holidays are based on Christian influence. If society wants to divert from the Christians holidays, fine, vote them out. It's not really business as usual, its a different weekend molded around the easter holiday where you got games on thursday and monday I think, I dunno the exact game days. I just don't think the significance of Good Friday for some, should be revamped, marketed and turned into a 'token' blockbuster game.

;)

That's the quandry we've created for ourselves.
Western Society has largely moved on from the need of Christianity, yet hypocritically care not to have their holidays taken away from them.

It doesn't, but nice to have Good Friday without the distraction. If footy was played on Good Friday I'd still watch it.

I never said you should. Was just saying the majority now don't.

Whether you like it or not, these holidays are based on Christian influence.

If you really want to go there they are actually originally from around 2000BC Pagan/Druidic celebrations to celebrate the dawn of Spring, hence the giving of eggs symbolic of life. Ever wonder why Jesus seems to die and be resurrected on different days each year?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back