Fixture North Melbourne v Carlton very close to being a sellout. The AFL must make this Good Friday Fixture Permanent

Remove this Banner Ad

North need a “partner” with drawing power to make this game work.
North and Carlton are the perfect fit for this fixture.
The above mentioned model with everything split evenly between the two clubs should be perfectly acceptable to North and I’m sure their new CEO understands this.
If North wants to be greedy, they can always revert to Footscray as their “partner” in this venture …
Carlton can back out of it if they want, they aren’t needed, crowd numbers are overrated, it’s tv numbers and when it’s the only game on the clubs are irrelevant.

Queens birthday game used to always be Melbournes home game, Collingwood away (it’s changed now) but Eddie McGuire said they were happy to be the away team because it’s a guaranteed prime time fixture they sell to their sponsors, your logo is prime time on Queens birthday every year, and then Collingwood still has 11 home games to sell to its members.

Carlton can sell a guaranteed prime time fixture to its sponsors while still having 11 home games (and quite a lot prime time). If Carlton don’t want to be there then I’m happy to watch the Bulldogs and they can sell the prime time fixture to their sponsors.

Carlton can back out of it if they want, they aren’t needed, crowd numbers are overrated, it’s tv numbers and when it’s the only game on the clubs are irrelevant.

Queens birthday game used to always be Melbournes home game, Collingwood away (it’s changed now) but Eddie McGuire said they were happy to be the away team because it’s a guaranteed prime time fixture they sell to their sponsors, your logo is prime time on Queens birthday every year, and then Collingwood still has 11 home games to sell to its members.

Carlton can sell a guaranteed prime time fixture to its sponsors while still having 11 home games (and quite a lot prime time). If Carlton don’t want to be there then I’m happy to watch the Bulldogs and they can sell the prime time fixture to their sponsors.

Carlton pull the numbers both at the gate and on TV.
Carlton are a great “partner” for North in this venture and North know this … 👍

And Carlton can be the away team.

By the way the Bulldogs rated higher on tv last year than Carlton 👍

98A6308D-6BEC-405A-A15F-A60C7C731F14.jpeg

Would’ve been interesting to see how many would’ve gone if it were North and the Dogs.

The last time North showed any fight in this fixture against the Dogs in 2017 we had 42000 there. Sour grapes and salty tears and all but can’t help but think we lost the fixture because of an inadequate North.

Take it up with North’s CEO.
Carlton helped North to the biggest Docklands crowd in a decade …
Don’t need to, North at home to Carlton pulls a crowd. I’m happy with it.

Should have a night and day game since it's a public holiday. Or is that too disrespectful to Jesus? Therefore we need just the 1 game, saying "good friday appeal" and "donate" constantly throughout the telecast makes him forgive our sins?

Should have a night and day game since it's a public holiday. Or is that too disrespectful to Jesus? Therefore we need just the 1 game, saying "good friday appeal" and "donate" constantly throughout the telecast makes him forgive our sins?
The broadcasters call the shots. No chance channel 7 want that

The reason is because North have put in a mountain of work to making this fixture happen, and donate gate proceeds to the RCH, etc etc.

That's the reality of the modern AFL. The big clubs get things handed to them, and the smaller clubs have to be innovative and then fight to hold on to what they've pioneered.

I think it's safe to say most people recognise that North Melbourne have done the hard yards getting the Good Friday fixture off the ground, and they deserve to keep it as their marquee game on the annual AFL calendar.

From 2014

Would’ve been interesting to see how many would’ve gone if it were North and the Dogs.

The last time North showed any fight in this fixture against the Dogs in 2017 we had 42000 there. Sour grapes and salty tears and all but can’t help but think we lost the fixture because of an inadequate North.
And when it was our home game in 2016, when it was a simple home and away match and not Good Friday yet, the two sides drew close to 48k.

It was solidly 50/50 at Marvel yesterday.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

imo the really meaningful stat here is that this is North and Carlton's biggest crowd together since the 1999 grand final. Clearly making the annual meeting between the clubs a meaningful blockbuster has maximised this fixture and made it bigger than ever, for both clubs. It's easy to say of course it's a big success because Carlton are a big 4 club, but we play Carlton every year and it hasn't been that big of a crowd since we were both literally contending for the flag.

AFL never committed to sticking just with the Dogs, we have played Dogs, Saints, Bombers and now Blues. When we pursued the timeslot, it was something we wanted to establish against Carlton due to our close proximity and working relationship with the region.

I think last year was a bit of an anomaly given it was the first one fully back after the covid interruptions, the 2021 game had seating limitations and the 2020 game didn't happen due to covid. I think it was just an unfortunate timing that we were really, really s**t last year, for these kind of games you want your supporters to come out and support the event regardless of on-field expectation and realistically, every Victorian club could realistically fill out the public seating of Docklands in their own right, we have just eroded the viewing habits of supporters, particularly the clubs that have had to sell home games or often get trashy timeslots. I think the only way to grow a particular event is to just work at it and let it grow over time.

I think we have just had more consistent attendances between us and Carlton, our last three games at Docklands are now 49062, 40129 amd 42430. That 42k game, Carlton was a bottom four team and we weren't a lot better, the challenge for us, Dogs and Saints is to inspire their supporters to show up in force home and away.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back