Fixture North Melbourne v Carlton very close to being a sellout. The AFL must make this Good Friday Fixture Permanent

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
Makes sense on so many levels (North Melbourne and Carlton being the suburbs both geographically closest to the Royal Children's Hospital)

Clearly the crowd for Friday's game and likely TV ratings will be the highest since the AFL fixtured the Good Friday game several years ago.

The fact Carlton looking like premiership contenders helps, but i reckon we would have packed Marvel anyway regardless of form.

North Melbourne look like being up and about too and one of the most improved this seasons.

It just makes sense to have The Roos and Blues battle it out on Good Friday from now on..

You want a sellout crowd insert a big 4 team into the equation to go against teams like North who always seem to struggle to draw big crowds regardless of form.

Simples really.

I actually think it is officially sold out as some bloke just rang SEN saying he couldnt get a ticket as of 20mins ago.

This year might be different, but the North Good Friday fixtures have been god awful games for a number of years.

2022 North lost to Bulldogs by 68
2021 North lost to Bulldogs by 128
2019 North lost to Essendon by 58
2018 North beat St Kilda by 52 (in the worst game of football I've ever seen in my life)

2017 was the last time the game was remotely close, when North lost to the Bulldogs by 3 points.

It'd be good if they can keep it up with Carlton though, and a sellout is great for both teams.

• Banned
This year might be different, but the North Good Friday fixtures have been god awful games for a number of years.

2022 North lost to Bulldogs by 68
2021 North lost to Bulldogs by 128
2019 North lost to Essendon by 58
2018 North beat St Kilda by 52 (in the worst game of football I've ever seen in my life)

2017 was the last time the game was remotely close, when North lost to the Bulldogs by 3 points.

It'd be good if they can keep it up with Carlton though, and a sellout is great for both teams.

Carlton have struggled against North Melbourne in recent years and (annoyingly) against Clarkson coached teams before that, so I think this game will be closer/more tightly fought than many expect.

Makes sense on so many levels (North Melbourne and Carlton being the suburbs both geographically closest to the Royal Children's Hospital)

Clearly the crowd for Friday's game and likely TV ratings will be the highest since the AFL fixtured the Good Friday game several years ago.

The fact Carlton looking like premiership contenders helps, but i reckon we would have packed Marvel anyway regardless of form.

North Melbourne look like being up and about too and one of the most improved this seasons.

It just makes sense to have The Roos and Blues battle it out on Good Friday from now on..
Should be Demons v Saints

Last edited:
Carlton made sense from the start. You've got the small teams, the Saints, Dogs, North.
Then the rest all have a marquee game.
Collingwood, Anzac Day, Queens Birthday,
Essendon, Anzac Day, Dreamtime,
Hawthorn, Easter Monday
Melbourne, Queens Birthday
Richmond, Dreamtime

Except for Carlton who have nothing. You want a big club to help out a small club with a marquee game, Carlton's the logical one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Carlton made sense from the start. You've got the small teams, the Saints, Dogs, North.
Hawthorn, Easter Monday
Richmond, Dreamtime

Except for Carlton who have nothing. You want a big club to help out a small club with a marquee game, Carlton's the logical one.
Round 1?

Hawthorn, Easter Monday
Richmond, Dreamtime

Yeah poor old Carlton, only the opening game of the season plus 8 Thursday/Friday night games in the first half of the season

It won't be long until Collingwood try and hijack the good Friday fixture and the game gets moved to the MCG. They have a habit of doing things like that.
Feel sorry for North it's only a matter of time unfortunately

Should have been Carlton from the start. Although North was the club originally petitioning for Good Friday, Carlton eventually put a joint bid in but were shafted when it came time to announce the game.

Yeah poor old Carlton, only the opening game of the season plus 8 Thursday/Friday night games in the first half of the season

Wish we had more Saturday afternoon games in Melbourne myself tbh, but our crowd figures and TV ratings make us a box office club !!!

Hawthorn, Easter Monday
Richmond, Dreamtime

Carlton does have Round 1 opener vs Richmond.

A fixture we didn't deserve for a number of years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back