Fixture North Melbourne v Carlton very close to being a sellout. The AFL must make this Good Friday Fixture Permanent

Remove this Banner Ad

Without hyperbole, the best crowd and atmosphere I've seen at a regular season Marvel game.

Just a ripper turnout. And I'd say it was pretty close to 50/50 as well in terms of Blues/Roos fans.

And importantly, NMFC put on an excellent show for the RCH with the way the day unfolded.

Keep this game as North (home) v Carlton (away) forever and let's turn this into a genuine marquee fixture on the annual calendar.

PXL_20230407_060817465.jpg

Without hyperbole, the best crowd and atmosphere I've seen at a regular season Marvel game.

Just a ripper turnout. And I'd say it was pretty close to 50/50 as well in terms of Blues/Roos fans.

And importantly, NMFC put on an excellent show for the RCH with the way the day unfolded.

Keep this game as North (home) v Carlton (away) forever and let's turn this into a genuine marquee fixture on the annual calendar.

View attachment 1653047
No reason why home team doesn't flip back and forth like every other blockbuster. Why should Carlton fans pay full price each year?

View attachment 1653047
I think we should alternate each year over who is the designated home team, but yeah i definitely want this to be an annual thing.

Maybe we should have a trophy for winning as well, and name it after Ron Barassi or Brent Crosswell. Both of those guys achieved great success at our clubs after all.

Last edited:
I think we should alternate each year over who is the designated home team, but yeah i definitely want this to be an annual thing.

Maybe we should have a trophy for winning as well, and name it after Ron Barassi or Brent Crosswell. Both of those guys achieved great success at our clubs after all.

RDB is a significant figure at both clubs.
These 2 clubs are just the right fit for this game and should build it into the event it is capable of becoming …

View attachment 1653047
You weren’t at the venue the day Tippa kicked the winning goal. I think that atmosphere took the cake that day! As much as it was a downer for Roos fans that day.

Great game and good to see it was a sell out.

My only wondering is about timing. Why play Good Friday at 4:20pm - that's the day where nothing is open, but also people dont tend to have big family stuff either (no meat and all that). It is also the charity game, but the late finish meant the tv coverage jumpeed straight to news and missed an opportunity to do an extended post match fundraiser

Meanwhile the only Easter Sunday games are 2:10 - that's on the day where lots of people have the big family lunch, head to church services first, and there is just generally more on.

Should switch them imo... have this at 2:30pm and Easter Sunday the later slot at 3pm
I’m not sure but I think the odd time is to wait until after the conclusion of the Good Friday service. There was a bit of debate originally about whether football should be played on Good Friday and I think this was felt to be more respectful.

Funny really because I’m not sure anyone minds overmuch. I don’t recall any mad Catholic types with placards when the game was first given the go ahead. I can’t picture fallout if it was made earlier. I’m not very fond of those later afternoon starts either

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Stephen Easton Cup.

Mick Martyn would be in the mix as well. At least Mick played more than one game for us.:laughv1:
Richard Dennis Cup.
In all seriousness, the Brent Crosswell Cup is probably fitting as the poor guy suffers from a lot of health issues to this day and given the appeal on day is to raise funds for hospital appeal it seems somewhat related to the occassion.

No reason why home team doesn't flip back and forth like every other blockbuster. Why should Carlton fans pay full price each year?
The reason is because North have put in a mountain of work to making this fixture happen, and donate gate proceeds to the RCH, etc etc.

The reason is because North have put in a mountain of work to making this fixture happen, and donate gate proceeds to the RCH, etc etc.
That's a pretty selfish reason.

North Melbourne can still do all their charity work as the away team every 2nd year. Carlton would still donate the gate.

If Carlton fans felt some ownership of the day as well, then their fans are more likely to participate and donate.

That's the reality of the modern AFL. The big clubs get things handed to them, and the smaller clubs have to be innovative and then fight to hold on to what they've pioneered.

I think it's safe to say most people recognise that North Melbourne have done the hard yards getting the Good Friday fixture off the ground, and they deserve to keep it as their marquee game on the annual AFL calendar.

North Melbourne can still do all their charity work as the away team every 2nd year. Carlton would still donate the gate.

If Carlton fans felt some ownership of the day as well, then their fans are more likely to participate and donate.
I suspect it's more a fear of Carlton playing a home game at the g and 70+ turning up, the AFL getting gready and booting us in favor of a bigger club that will pull 90.

North fans should park their fears.
This game from here on in is North and Carlton, it’s a perfect fit for the day.
Like other marquee games, the hosting along with the promotion, gate and donation should be evenly split between the clubs as they work together to build an ongoing annual event …

Oh good, another marquee money making standalone exclusive game locked in for Victorian teams. We were in serious danger of not having enough of those.

Meanwhile the showdown can’t even get a standalone time slot once a year unless we move it to the ‘G.

The f*** is up with this league?

Carlton get plenty of prime time marquee (Friday night) fixtures for their members. No reason why North who put the hard work into getting this fixture up and running can’t have have this as the one guaranteed marquee fixture for their fans.

Carlton get plenty of prime time marquee (Friday night) fixtures for their members. No reason why North who put the hard work into getting this fixture up and running can’t have have this as the one guaranteed marquee fixture for their fans.

North need a “partner” with drawing power to make this game work.
North and Carlton are the perfect fit for this fixture.
The above mentioned model with everything split evenly between the two clubs should be perfectly acceptable to North and I’m sure their new CEO understands this.
If North wants to be greedy, they can always revert to Footscray as their “partner” in this venture …

Remove this Banner Ad

Back