Mega Thread Official 2012 Trade period discussion thread - 8th-26th October

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree that late round picks are -- for the most part -- worthless currency, but I have no idea why people are busting their nut over losing Martin of all players. (Provided he has in fact been traded).

They'll add to our "war chest" of late draft picks.

This last minute fire sale approach is ridiculous. We've had 3 weeks to put together a better trading strategy.

Fire sale indeed :D Well I guess we are the super low quality but super cheap bargain bin of the AFL

They'll add to our "war chest" of late draft picks.

This last minute fire sale approach is ridiculous. We've had 3 weeks to put together a better trading strategy.

53 might come in handy, I guess will have to wait and see what sort of package will appeal to St. Kilda poss. involving 49 &53. If we don't bring in another player ala Ray w/h this Martin trade, i'll be a bit disappointed.

2 of them were free? 2 of them are Tall forwards which we lack, and then we grabbed the best 17yo KPP in years and get two top 5 mids.

You are embarrassing yourself HFF.

Hogan isn't even rated the best in his own draft, let alone 'in years'.

He was the best KPF in the 3 month window for minidraft eligibility.

We spent pick 3 on him because there wasn't a KPF available this year who is better than him and the coaching staff would believe that we won't get a pick high enough to get Thomas Boyd (or any of the other highly ranked KPF's) next year.

Not really sure where you think our other top 5 mid is coming from...

This strategy of Neelds to stockpile late picks seems slightly less effective than Baileys stocking of first round picks.
Why?
We have got better value out of our late picks in the last five years.

Are people really that upset that melb have got rid off Morton and Gysberts, I think its about time we starting getting rid of players like that i also expect Petterd and Bate to be delisted which will probarly upset a few.

The only one im not sure about is i would have thought Martin is a better player than Penderson but Melb dont seem to think that so once we got Penderson that was it for Martin, But i still dont think its a big deal

Hogan isn't even rated the best in his own draft, let alone 'in years'.

He was the best KPF in the 3 month window for minidraft eligibility.

We spent pick 3 on him because there wasn't a KPF available this year who is better than him and the coaching staff would believe that we won't get a pick high enough to get Thomas Boyd (or any of the other highly ranked KPF's) next year.

Not really sure where you think our other top 5 mid is coming from...

Kevin Sheahan rated him ahead of Jack Martin fwiw..Said he was the best 17 y.o prospect in Aus. I'm happy with the deal. We get to train him up for 12 months so he's ready to go R1 2014. His type are rare so happy to pay w/h pick #3 for a genuinely elite KP talent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't believe we're losing Martin, Gysberts and Morton, and not getting a single <50 pick in return.

I'll say this - we better not * up pick 4.

The problem is we boxed ourselves into a corner when we took so many players in early. In itself it isn't a problem if you trade out players in tandem but we didn't. Opposition clubs know that our lack of list space would force our hand as we need to drop players and they have waited till the last minute to get bargain deals.

Sure we'll delist a few like Bate but we didn't plan on delisting Gys and Martin but due to 11th hour dealings we've made desperate trades. I'm happy with the overall approach but we've made some technical blunders these 3 weeks including getting Byrnes under FA rather than delisted FA or trade.

Agree that late round picks are -- for the most part -- worthless currency, but I have no idea why people are busting their nut over losing Martin of all players. (Provided he has in fact been traded).
Trade radio reported it too. Martin is officially a Lion

I want to cry, I have never felt so hopeless as an MFC supporter. This is just tragic, and could spell the death of this footy club unless something amazing happens. Sorry, Jimmy.

Tim Harrington: "Next up on the MFChopping block is...umm... (picks a name at random off the list) Nathan Jones! Do I hear an offer for Nathan Jones?"
Hawthorn (sarcastic): "Pick 88!"
Harrington: "SOLD!"
Hawthorn (look shocked)
Todd Viney: "Aahhh, Tim, we've already got pick 88"
Harrington: "We do? Oh well, they can have him for free then, unless they want a refund?"
Hawthon (shake their heads)
Harrington: "Next up is... Colin Garland!"
Essendon: "Pick 27!"
Harrington: "Pick 27? is that the best you can do?"
Sydney: "Pick 67"
Harrington: "Now we're getting somewhere! Pick 67, pick 67, do we have any advances on pick 67?"

I want to cry, I have never felt so hopeless as an MFC supporter. This is just tragic, and could spell the death of this footy club unless something amazing happens. Sorry, Jimmy.
Steady on mate, it isn't that bad.

Kevin Sheahan rated him ahead of Jack Martin fwiw..Said he was the best 17 y.o prospect in Aus. I'm happy with the deal. We get to train him up for 12 months so he's ready to go R1 2014. His type are rare so happy to pay w/h pick #3 for a genuinely elite KP talent.

FWIW I agree with Sheahan, Hogan will be better than Martin. Best 17yo in aus? no. Best available in the MD? Possibly. Best KPF in years? no.

I'm happy we got Hogan and agree with logic displayed in getting him.

Take that s**t to Demonland.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back