Umpires' treatment of Trent Cotchin

Remove this Banner Ad

Steady on guys.

If we are honest, last year Cotchin was the umpire's pet - he got frees for being breathed on. This year - he's being treated like all No 1 mids in any side - he cops a hard, annoying tag, and he's not having a great year. In fact, the last half-dozen games, he has barely been in our top half of players on the field. You might cry 'Injured', but the fact is he's out there and not really contributing much more than an average player. Disposal particularly has been poor. No doubt he's struggling. Not influencing the games at all. Not for lack of effort.

He's still received more frees than Watson, Judd, murphy, swan, Mitchell, and the same number as Ablett. The ONLY midfielders with more frees this year are from North and West Coast. He's also running at a very good for/against rate. Opposition supporters could probably still claim he's a 'protected species' by the stats.

AFL is a tough gig. He's got to suck it up (and he is) and work it out.

Taking off the Tiger glasses, I've seen Cotchin get looked after a couple of times this year too. We weren't complaining about that, you have to take the good with the bad. Copped a bad run one day, a good run another. That's footy. As long as it doesn't happen repeatedly one way or another it doesn't bother me too much.

Cotch still gets a reasonable run with the umps. There were a couple yesterday which he could have got but the umps have stopped paying as many frees lately.

He's not in great form this year (for whatever reason) but the good news is, we're winning. He's still doing some great work inside, it's just he's not getting it out in the open as much as he did last year.

We've got a really good midfield group coming together. If Cotch missed a game last year, it would have really hurt our chances. Now with guys like Conca, Ellis, Vlaustin coming along (and Foley back) we would still be in decent shape.

Steady on guys.

If we are honest, last year Cotchin was the umpire's pet - he got frees for being breathed on. This year - he's being treated like all No 1 mids in any side - he cops a hard, annoying tag, and he's not having a great year. In fact, the last half-dozen games, he has barely been in our top half of players on the field. You might cry 'Injured', but the fact is he's out there and not really contributing much more than an average player. Disposal particularly has been poor. No doubt he's struggling. Not influencing the games at all. Not for lack of effort.

He's still received more frees than Watson, Judd, murphy, swan, Mitchell, and the same number as Ablett. The ONLY midfielders with more frees this year are from North and West Coast. He's also running at a very good for/against rate. Opposition supporters could probably still claim he's a 'protected species' by the stats.

AFL is a tough gig. He's got to suck it up (and he is) and work it out.

I agree with your points re: umpires.

But to to say Cotchin hasn't been in our top 10 players over the last 6 rounds must be a joke. Even his really down games, of which I would say yesterday was one, he was still among our best in my book. Kicked the first goal, lead from the front, won contested footy and fought hard.

Disposal has been poor yes but to say he is not influencing games at all is going way too far. Take him out of the side for a week or two and you would see a difference

Holding Cotchin for the whole world to see in the third. NO BLOODY FREE!!! THEY DESERVE TO BE BOOED!!

Last year when we played Carlton for the second time, Cotchin was getting held and pushed at every contest by Carazzo, and when Murphy the soft**** got a little touch he got a free kick.
Too inconsistent.

I agree with your points re: umpires.

But to to say Cotchin hasn't been in our top 10 players over the last 6 rounds must be a joke. Even his really down games, of which I would say yesterday was one, he was still among our best in my book. Kicked the first goal, lead from the front, won contested footy and fought hard.

Disposal has been poor yes but to say he is not influencing games at all is going way too far. Take him out of the side for a week or two and you would see a difference

Cotchin has not been in our top 10 probably all year and not just the last 6 rounds, and that is not a joke!

Whilst I agree Cotchin should've been awarded more free kicks, I think if he's good enough he'll still be able to shake that kind of treatment and win the footy by himself. I saw one incident today where Cotchin went in hard for the ball and there was a collision with another Adelaide player and straight after the bump he put his hand up asking the umps the question and stayed lying on the ground. I didn't rate that. Cotchin of last year would've gotten up straight away and attacked the ball with ferociousness and made another contest. Something didn't seem right about Cotchin today. I hope it's just an off week and nothing major. He hasn't played a game this year yet that has made me sit back and think 'wow'. Last year I reckon he played about five of them.

Last year, the opposition could not touch Cotchin. A player that infringed was pinged. This year, he is not receiving the same attention from the umpiring fraternity. I think his injury has also frustrated him. Also, he is captain now, so he has the right to ask the question of the umpire, without being petulant. I think the knee problem has affected him, and also our midfield group is a lot stronger with their efforts overshadowing Cotchin's brilliance. Cotch will step up as he shakes the injury.

The umpiring this year has been a disgrace. Sometimes it is the stupidity of the wrong decision, and sometimes it is the interpretation of the plethora of unnecessary new rules. Watching the Carlton VS Hawthorn game was a highlight of how inept our umpiring process has become.

Cotchin has not been in our top 10 probably all year and not just the last 6 rounds, and that is not a joke!

Short memory. Rounds 1,2,3 and 5 he was either BOG or second BOG.

Him and Lids split it in round 1, only Jack was better than him with 8 in round 2, Dusty was the only one better in round 3 and he was BOG against Freo.

He then hurt his knee and has struggled since. Those four games still weren't as good as his best last year (except maybe round 1) I will agree with that.

But as for the rest of what you said, get stuffed.

Last year when we played Carlton for the second time, Cotchin was getting held and pushed at every contest by Carazzo, and when Murphy the soft**** got a little touch he got a free kick.
Too inconsistent.

Just about sums up Murphy's career to date...Gibbs is closing real fast though...
The two hard ball gets Murphy ever got involved in have resulted in him sustaining...a shoulder injury and a broken jaw...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last year, the opposition could not touch Cotchin. A player that infringed was pinged. This year, he is not receiving the same attention from the umpiring fraternity. I think his injury has also frustrated him. Also, he is captain now, so he has the right to ask the question of the umpire, without being petulant. I think the knee problem has affected him, and also our midfield group is a lot stronger with their efforts overshadowing Cotchin's brilliance. Cotch will step up as he shakes the injury.

The umpiring this year has been a disgrace. Sometimes it is the stupidity of the wrong decision, and sometimes it is the interpretation of the plethora of unnecessary new rules. Watching the Carlton VS Hawthorn game was a highlight of how inept our umpiring process has become.
Good response and hard to disagree.

You can't play AFL to the best of your ability on the back of a very limited pre season .
Cotchin , Maric 2013 are no greater example .
He is expecting more of teammates in certain aspects and has gone about praticing watch he preaches . It's dulled his brilliance , but it will be short lived , he still steps up like no other when the game is in the balance .
Nobull to suggest he isn't or hasn't been in our best 10 just shows how little you know .

He had a full pre season.

I read an interview where he said he did about 90% of the sessions, which is up from about 60% on last year.

The fact he even rated Watson close to Ablett is a joke, Watsons had 4 stinkers. Pendlebury is the only one close to Ablett.
Then again Luke Darcy always has his head up Essendons arse.

Darcy getting ready to call a game

images

I think to a degree, Cotchin hasn't quite reached the heights he did last season - probably a combination of taking on more leadership as the captain and getting more attention from opposition coaches. He's also still very young which I think we sometimes can forget due to how mature he is.

For mine though, his form isn't a huge concern as we've been performing well enough to get the wins without most of our stars having big games to get us over the line. As Dimma said, it's pleasing to get a win where you have solid contributions from all 22 players across the team.

I think there were a few stiff calls on Saturday but besides the one where he was wrapped up on the wing by a crows player and slung to the ground before the ball even neared that contest, I couldn't recall any other blatant frees he should have got.

Something is not right with Cotch.

He told me he is just in cruise mode for these games that we should win and he is going to really fire up when we play the good sides to secure a top 4 spot. :rolleyes:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back