Universal Love Oh captain, my captain: Cotchin retires. There will never be another.

Remove this Banner Ad

Thought this deserved its own thread.
Our best ever captain has announced he will call it quits at the end of the season.
We knew it was coming, but this one hits harder than any of the others.

557778.jpg

Richmond legend Trent Cotchin will conclude his glistening 16-year AFL career at the end of the Tigers’ 2023 AFL season.

Cotchin, 33, informed his teammates of his decision this morning, reflecting on the “authentic human connection” and “love” he had experienced across his AFL journey.

“I am going to miss with all my heart the relationships, memories and experiences I have had these past 305 games,” he said.

“I accept reality and that my chapter has come to an end. My body is somewhat slowing down and is older than it once was.”

Cotchin said he wanted to focus on celebrating all the people that he had been lucky enough to have helped him on his journey and all the little memories that he cherished.

“I found my life purpose at Richmond,” he said.

“I look to the future with nothing but excitement, adventure, and opportunity, because of what I found here at Richmond and what Richmond people taught me.

“Finding out that creating an environment to help other realise and fulfill their potential not only inspired me but helped me to overcome my own fears.

“I found the move from ‘I’ to ‘we’ and that to be interested not interesting was so much more fun. I learned the power to dream big at Richmond, to say why not me. Why not us? And why not now.

“I have always given my best and left no stone unturned, in my dads words- I have strived to make every post a winner.”

Cotchin, a three-time premiership captain, Brownlow Medallist, and three-time Jack Dyer Medal winner, has played 305 AFL games, including a club-record 188 as captain.

He is the only Tiger in the Club’s proud history to lead Richmond to three premierships as captain and his seven finals campaigns as skipper is also an equal club best.

The Northern Knights product was selected by Richmond with the second pick overall at the 2007 AFL Draft, immediately impressing across 15 games in his first season.

By Round 4, 2010, in just his 29th match and third season at senior level, Cotchin captained the Club for the first time, highlighting his early leadership traits that continued to blossom throughout his career.

A tough and uncompromising midfielder, blessed with exquisite skills, poise and balance, Cotchin has excelled right throughout his lengthy AFL career.

Cotchin won his first Richmond best and fairest in 2011, and after again claiming the award in 2012- which was also a Brownlow winning and All-Australian season- was made the Club’s permanent captain.

Cotchin led the Tigers to three consecutive finals appearances in his first three years in the role and was one of the team’s best performing players across the tumultuous 2016 season.

The inspirational skipper was vital in the Club’s drought-breaking 2017 premiership campaign as Richmond flipped the script to win what was seen as an unlikely premiership at the beginning of the year.

Richmond CEO Brendon Gale described Cotchin as a towering figure in the Club's incredibly rich history.

"Obviously Trent has achieved so much as a player, however, it is the power and impact of his leadership that has impressed me the most," Gale said.

"After being appointed Captain in 2012 at 22 years, Trent in his own way and through his own experience redefined leadership at our club. His renewed focus on self-understanding, self-acceptance, care, and connection was instrumental in unlocking the full potential of our players and team.

Gale added that Cotchin's leadership was so often on display in the big moments of big games, where a big tackle or fierce contested ball win would lift the team and inspire the Tiger Army.

"Amongst all the madness and mayhem, in the heat of battle, with the stakes at their highest, Trent so often recognised the moments that mattered and remained completely connected with his performance.

"Through the power of his leadership he so often tipped the scales our way, and we will thank him for that forever." 720971.jpg

Last edited:
Richmond Tigers Finals GIF by AFL

Thank you , Trent Cotchin for all you have done.

I’m already crying. I’m going to miss him and it sucks that his last game is going to be in Adelaide. We need to get down to the MCG in force for the North Melbourne game!
Surely if we lose this week, North is his last game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I doubt he goes to Adelaide in the final round unless by some miracle we are playing for a potential finals spot.
Need to get 80k against North to farewell him.

What he has to meant and done for our club can't be put into words really. One of the major driving forces behind our culture shift, along with Dimma and Gale. Will remain a part of Richmond and football history for an eternity as a three-time premiership captain.

I'm only 29, but he is the best captain I've ever seen at Richmond in my short life-time. All the best in retirement Captain, you will always be a Tiger.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back