Preview AFL Round 5 - Geelong v Hawthorn, MCG, Monday 21 April 3:20PM

Predict the margin

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know its still early days, but who are your likely ins/outs for this game? I heard that Spangher possibly hurt his ankle-is he likely to come up in time? Is Lake due back?
If I had to guess, I would say
In: Stratton, McEvoy
Out: Spanger, Ceglar

Spangher did seem to be limping badly last night and I would guess it would be at least 1 week. Stratton should be back and he may have been the one to make way anyway so for this game individually he shouldn't be too much of a loss. Other change should be pretty straight forward. Ceglar has been ok this year but if Big Boy is ok there is no doubt he'll play. He has a bad calf and was a late withdrawal against the Dockers a couple of weeks ago and I assume he didn't play this week to rest up/avoid the travel.
I went to the VFL today and saw Lake/Schoenmakers. Would be surprised if either play. Lake had his first game since the Grand final ( :D ) and looked pretty rusty at times. Although last year he apparantely looked poor in the VFL and obviously still did well at Hawthorn so who knows. It was Schoey's 2nd game in the VFL and he played forward all game. Didn't do anywhere near enough for mine to get a crack at Hawthorn although delivery wasn't great it has to be said
Sewell is still a couple of weeks away for football at any level

our team next time we play them will give them a run.

B: Rivers, Lonergan, Enright
HB: Mackie, Taylor, Hunt
C: Kelly, Johnson, Motlop
HF: Stokes, McIntosh, Duncan
F: Bartel, Hawkins, Menzel

R: Simpson, Guthie, Selwood

IC: Caddy, Christo, Horlin-Smith, Blicavs

(could not squeeze Varcoe or Brown in?)

Their third quarter vs Essendon was instructive. Essendon really hunted them, denied them space across half back, and moved the ball quickly -- and soon found themselves back in the game. We just have to do that for four quarters and we'll be right in it.

Geelong are looking as they may be a better team in 2014 than 13 but its all potential so far , not sure we are playing better footy ...yet.

Pretty close to 3 ticks , but we still lack the finish of a fit in form Motlop. Burbs is still a bit off that level.Can we please lean to kick straight , even Guthrie is devoid of this.

But really , I really have not studied the personnel to much or the way they are playing. To me its got little do with style it all about upstairs. The little Man , Billy Brownless used to call him.

I know one thing , that when Hawthorn plays well they are confident , they always have talent and put confidence and talent together you get arrogance and right now they are flying..... But in the back of their mind is the little man. A little man saying stuff like the Apollo Creed quote from Rocky 2

Yes we won but did we beat them?

There not going to be happy till they return us to the dark old days , just like Micky said...
This guy don't just wanna win, you know, he wants to bury ya, he wants to humiliate ya....

and so it is for the Hawks V us , they would just love it to give us a wooping like they gave Freo. Really stick it to us. Put us back in our Hick Town little hole never to be seen of or heard of again and let them go about winning another 10 flags or so.

So with no thought of anything other than our own pride, lets beat them Cats . Remind them we are still here , we are not going anywhere.

Excellent effort, getting Rocky s**t in here. I applaud you sir.

Swap Menzel to Varcoe.
I don't think we will see Menz in the senior side this year.

The other thing I'd like to see is some physical intimidation of both Gunstan and Bruest. Both are physically quite fine and need to be assaulted when the opportunity is there. Similar with young Hill. When you tackle them, make it hurt.

I'll give you Gunston, but Breust is a deceptively powerful man. He is probably our best at breaking through tackles with Burgoyne and Mitchell.

This game is going to be an epic and may the best team win!

That is tricky to answer. Maybe playing at around 80%, reckon there'll be a fair few differing opinions though.

Hawks seem to be up and about early. How close to 100% do you think you are?
I can answer that. We are playing as good as we've ever played. And I've supported Hawthorn through their dominant era of the eighties. If you get over us on Monday week it will be quite some achievement.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't tempt fate :confused: Menz will not play this season ( till he does )

Varcoe out..don't think so , Murdoch as well ...Im not sure who goes out , glad its not me making the choice

I can answer that. We are playing as good as we've ever played. And I've supported Hawthorn through their dominant era of the eighties. If you get over us on Monday week it will be quite some achievement.

I agree - but what i cant get over - is some of the players youve been doing it with - Spangher - for gods sake - when he was at West Coast and Sydney- i thought he should have been a novelty act at a circus

Cheney - an ex Melbourne reject - thats not a real good pedigree - and Simpkin an honest depth player - but youve been thumping teams by 100 points - right from the start of the NAB series

Hawthorns overall quickness all over the ground - how they move the ball so clinically is a worry for Geelong

However having said all that - if Geelong weather the early onslaught of quick precision ball movement - and are there abouts at half time - i would be confident of winning

Sorry, but I hate this BS.

1/ You're just expecting Menzel to get back
2/ You're just expecting no injuries.

If we don't beat them next week, the only way we beat them next time is due to growth in experience.
And I wouldn't just expect that either.

Last edited:
This is a genuine 50/50 game. The Cats form has been very good themselves and are currently ranked number 1 in the league for points against. One thing is for sure, is that the Cats back line is incredibly hard to get threw for the opposition to try and score. To not concede a goal for three quarters against West Coast is an outstanding team effort and that highlights just how good the Cats back six are. In my opinion the Cats are the best hand balling team in the league, while the Hawks are the best kicking team. Which should make this game very intriguing. It's going to be about who is efficient when going forward that could be the difference.

The Hawks will fancy themselves as well given we are number one for inside 50's, marks inside 50, conversion rate and average points for.

For the Hawks to win, we will need to stop Taylor, Selwood and Johnson. Those are the three that pose a real threat. If we can't curb their influence, then fair to say Geelong will win this game. What makes Geelong's midfield great, is they rotate players in the center bounces all the time and have about a dozen players who can rotate between midfield and up forward. There's also been some of the younger brigade like GHS, Caddy, Murdoch and Guthrie whom have all been much improved players this year. This game may only be a kick or two in it and might be another heart stopper or Geelong could potentially rip us a new one.

Some potential match-ups

Taylor vs Roughead
Lonergan vs Hale
Mackie vs Gunston
T.Hunt vs Breust
Enright vs Rioli

Duncan vs Smith
Stokes vs Hill
Selwood vs Langford
Johnson vs Lewis
Guthrie vs Mitchell

Bartel vs Birchall
Murdoch vs Suckling
Hawkins vs Lake/Gibson
Caddy vs Hodge
Varoce vs Burgoyne

Good luck. Here's to hopefully a good match on Monday! :thumbsu:

I know its still early days, but who are your likely ins/outs for this game? I heard that Spangher possibly hurt his ankle-is he likely to come up in time? Is Lake due back?

I would say it would be Stratton in. Who he comes in for would depend on if Spangher comes up for the match or not. If Spangher is good to go then I think Duryea will make way for Stratton. I think Lake needs another run in the VFL before coming up to AFL although apparently he did well today. That would be the only likely change I think.

WWSD

Nice early write up.
You have more danger in the middle than us though. I reckon we might be a little bit harder, but you have the edge in class at this stage.

We'll also have Enright. We are, however, missing Corey, Pods, Vardy, Christensen, Motlop and J. Hunt from the side that took them on last time.

It's hard to be optimistic about this one. Hawks look incredibly powerful at the moment, and their side just seems a lot more balanced and clean than Geelong does.

But go through that list one by one.

1. Corey - straight swap for Horlin-Smith. Right now that's at least as good if not better.
2. Pods - could be a swap for McIntosh, could be a swap for Brown, we don't know. The point is if McIntosh or Brown kick 1 goal against Hawthorn it's an improvement on the Prelim.
3. Vardy - swap for Simpson. 100% improvement.
4. Christensen - big out.
5. Motlop - HUGE out.
6. Josh Hunt - no loss at all. Was a liability.

Add a few other factors. We've got TWO proper ruckmen. We've got a tagger who is probably our most improved player in Cam Guthrie. We've got a fit full forward. And Murdoch and Burbury are putting on good defensive pressure.

I still think Hawthorn are going to be very tough to crack, but we don't need to raise the white flag either.

I certainly agree about Hunt. I think we're a better side without him. He was a negative rather than a positive in last year's prelim. However, I'm not so sure about Pods and Vardy. I think it's vitally important to our structure to have a second tall forward to help Hawkins out. With Pods gone, the belief was that that would be Vardy, but obviously that's not happening this year. It means we either have to rely on the likes of Blitz, a resting ruckman in HMac or Simpson, or the likes of Brown or Walker. None of them really instill me with confidence or the belief that they're going to provide more than Vardy and Pods did last year.

But if you're talking about the Prelim, Vardy and Pods provided us with three fifths of feck all. As soon as Simpson and McIntosh run onto the ground it's an improvement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back