Cats push for big Victorian club at KP

Remove this Banner Ad

When a Melbourne team plays Geelong they have two choices.

One is playing Geelong at a neutral ground OR playng them at Kardinia which favours Geelong.
What are the 'neutral' grounds?

Except when gale force winds plow through the stadium.
Except when it doesn't, which is every week. I should know, I've been sitting in the same seats (unrenovated, no cover) for 15 years.

You know there isn't much substance to the argument when the weather is brought into it.

I've been to KP, not sure what the fuss is about.

If Geelong want to play 11 home games at KP they should be allowed to. If we played a proper H&A season with 34 games (or less teams) then I'd expect 17 clubs to make the journey to KP. The problem is we have the 18 club/22 game constraint so if Geelong were actually granted 11 home games at KP they'd just stop getting home games against Coll, Ess etc.

The AFL has this bizarre Melbourne-centric culture where away clubs and supporters have an undeserved sense of entitlement. I couldn't give a shit if Geelong wanted to play us at KP or the MCG or in Alice Springs - it's their home game. The problem is with the way the AFL is run the moment Geelong get more games at KP or North/Hawthorn sign on to play in Tassie etc. that teams like mine who don't have a large Melbourne support base get fixtured away games against these clubs. Cart driving horse once again at AFL house.

When a Melbourne team plays Geelong they have two choices.

One is playing Geelong at a neutral ground OR playng them at Kardinia which favours Geelong.

Melbourne clubs either break even or are completely disadvantaged in more then a fews. It's pretty easier to understand why most Melbourne clubs do all they can to avoid playing there. Geelong's fans can't really complain about fairness when the only one who ever benefits is them.

I am sorry that Carlton completely stuffed up the opportunity to keep Princess Park / Visy as its home ground. Bit like trams - every city had them once. Only Melbourne had the vision to retain them and build on what was already a fine network. Now all those cities that once had trams are getting them back. Geelong FC had the vision and intestinal fortitude to do what was needed to keep its base and homeground in Geelong, and resist the push by the AFL for all teams to play at two stadiums.

MCG and Geelong.

Geelong also consider MCG and Etihad to be home grounds.

I'm sorry that Geelong have to travel 1 measily hour to play at a neutral ground.

How horrifying when every club in Melbourne has to do the same.
Really?

I've been scouring through the MCG web site and I just can't find Carlton listed under tenant clubs.
Found this over at Etihad though.

Screen Shot 2014-08-21 at 2.56.36 pm.png

I find it odd that you keep posting like a bay 13 troll when you are half as funny.
I wouldn't know about Bay 13 as I don't frequent the board and I am not trolling. I am defending a reasonable proposition put forward about Geelong playing more games at home. And I genuinely look forward to Geelong playing Carlton at Etihad, not at the MCG where your record is better.

I am sorry that Carlton completely stuffed up the opportunity to keep Princess Park / Visy as its home ground. Bit like trams - every city had them once. Only Melbourne had the vision to retain them and build on what was already a fine network. Now all those cities that once had trams are getting them back. Geelong FC had the vision and intestinal fortitude to do what was needed to keep its base and homeground in Geelong, and resist the push by the AFL for all teams to play at two stadiums.

I couldn't agree more. It was well played. All Geelong home games in Geelong at the stadium we all paid for.
Only away games and finals elsewhere.

Only reason Geelong still have KP is because they live in a different city. Obviously Geelong are more then entitled to have your own stadium but don't complain when teams go out of their way to avoid playing there.

While condescending your post was rather pointless.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So why do Geelong play home games at Etihad then?

If Geelong played Sydney at Etihad is it not a home game for Geelong?
Hooray. That's what we are asking.

And just because you play a home game somewhere, i.e. Canberra, it doesn't make it your home ground.

Etihad is your home ground, not ours.

Hooray. That's what we are asking.

And just because you play a home game somewhere, i.e. Canberra, it doesn't make it your home ground.

Etihad is your home ground, not ours.

Are you being deliberately obtuse here?

Ask Geelong FC if they think of Melbourne as home soil.

At worst it's neutral ground that doesn't favour either team which is the case for all Melbourne clubs playing one another.

Did you actually just refer to playing in Melbourne as been similiar to playing in Canberra for Geelong?

Dolls_Laughing.gif

Absolutely.

If the ground is, as planned, increased to close to 40k, I see no reason for any team in the comp to not come to Geelong. In fact, I can't see a reason at the moment.

Whats the capacity of the ground? 33,000? Imagine if the Stadium got another 10-12,000 seats to increase the crowd capacity to 43-45,000. It wouldnt cost much to do it. If it grew to 50,000 then surely even the rich victorian clubs like Collingwood and essendon and Carlton should be there.

As a dockers fan, I am happy to see my team play there and the SCG. Not because of the ground capacity but Because the SCG and KP are among freos toughest road trips and I do savour the wins more barring finals every time we win in those 2 grounds.

Given Geelong makes a $600,000 profit at Simonds per game and a $150,000 profit at Etihad per home game, I don't think the AFL would give a rats ass about 5000 spectators missing out on seeing the game at Simonds.

How the hell is that possible?! Etihad holds 52,000 while KP holds 19,000 less. I am assuming your team pays bugger all rent. Does the Geelong cats own the ground or does the Geelong council own it? I am assuming food and beverage profits go to the club as well.

Distance to the ground has nothing to do with it.

We should play, as a minimum, 9 home games at KP every year.

Hawthorn, Collingwood, Essendon, Carlton and Richmond should take turns coming down.
What would the bottom line be ($) if we played the Hawks at SS, say, and got 33,000 vs playing them at the G and getting 80-odd thousand spectators?
I'm not averse to taking a few games away from SS and playing them at the G- it gives the boys a feel for the ground prior to playing finals. And, even better, playing in front of the big crowds is great finals preparation.

KP should be entitled to host The AFL grand final. Last time the AFL hosted an AFL grand final outside the MCG was in 1991 at the old Waverley Park. It culminated into Angry Anderson singing bound for glory in the Batmobile.

Seeing KP hosting a grand final with Agnry anderson on the Batmobile would be epic.:D

What would the bottom line be ($) if we played the Hawks at SS, say, and got 33,000 vs playing them at the G and getting 80-odd thousand spectators?
I'm not averse to taking a few games away from SS and playing them at the G- it gives the boys a feel for the ground prior to playing finals. And, even better, playing in front of the big crowds is great finals preparation.

We make 600k for a home game at SS, and from memory about 750-8 for a big crowd at the G? Happy to stand corrected on this.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back