Draft Review 2010 - Revisit the 2010 Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Turning out to be a pretty handy draft.

I'm hoping McGovern and Lycett work their way onto and up the list next year with more gametime and responsibility
What do you reckon McGovern's spot is in your side for the future? He was pretty handy up forward and now down back.

What do you reckon McGovern's spot is in your side for the future? He was pretty handy up forward and now down back.

Who knows? Maybe the ability to swing both ways (pun intended) when required.

Even with Glass retiring our best 22 has 1 too many talls in it (8 by my count).

I think he is the most natural looking old-style CHF in the league after Riewoldt. It's actually a role that has been lost a bit in the modern game.

For mine, i think it might depend on where Darling goes. If Darling gets more midfield time - then I think McGovern goes forward. Otherwise he and Mackenzie play the key roles with Brown/Schofield having to play small.

Then again he could just be a flash in the pan and fizzle out. I don't think so, he has shown this ability for a while now - just not able to get his body right.

Hopefully he comes back ripped next year and tears apart games from CHF - that's the dream

Who knows? Maybe the ability to swing both ways (pun intended) when required.

Even with Glass retiring our best 22 has 1 too many talls in it (8 by my count).

I think he is the most natural looking old-style CHF in the league after Riewoldt. It's actually a role that has been lost a bit in the modern game.

For mine, i think it might depend on where Darling goes. If Darling gets more midfield time - then I think McGovern goes forward. Otherwise he and Mackenzie play the key roles with Brown/Schofield having to play small.

Then again he could just be a flash in the pan and fizzle out. I don't think so, he has shown this ability for a while now - just not able to get his body right.

Hopefully he comes back ripped next year and tears apart games from CHF - that's the dream
Wasn't he the one who came back preseason unfit? He will be a superstar with full pre seasons under his belt that's for sure.

Wasn't he the one who came back preseason unfit? He will be a superstar with full pre seasons under his belt that's for sure.

Yep - got sent to the fat farm. Here's hoping his taste of AFL footy fuels a desire to look after his body, rather than trash it.

I'm awfully nervous about him - I can see him being the next Riewoldt or the next Adrian McAdam... Here's hoping the former.

He grabs the ball so clean, loves hurting blokes and has an elite kick

Yep - got sent to the fat farm. Here's hoping his taste of AFL footy fuels a desire to look after his body, rather than trash it.

I'm awfully nervous about him - I can see him being the next Riewoldt or the next Adrian McAdam... Here's hoping the former.

He grabs the ball so clean, loves hurting blokes and has an elite kick
And a very very good contested mark. Took 7 in 1 game if I remember correctly.

1.Dyson Heppell
2. Luke Parker
3. Jack Darling
4. Tom Liberatore
5. Dion Prestia
6. Isaac Smith
7. Harley Benell
8. Tom Lynch
9. David Swallow
10. Scott Lycett
11. Josh Caddy
12. Sam Day
13. Tom McDonald
14. Brodie Smith
15. Paul Puopolo
16. George Horlin-Smith
17. Luke Dahlhaus
18. Tom Derickx
19. Andrew Gaff
20. Michael Hibberd

Does any body remember Lucas Cook taken at pick 12 from Melbourne? haha
Couldn't even make it at VFL level, and then stuffed up his attempt to return last year.

Rubbish footballer.

Couldn't even make it at VFL level, and then stuffed up his attempt to return last year.

Rubbish footballer.
I've never seen a lazier bloke come through the TAC cup system, he was never going to make it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've never seen a lazier bloke come through the TAC cup system, he was never going to make it.
Went at 12 basically on the back of his U18 AA selection. I'd be surprised if Prendergast ever actually saw him play.

1. Parker (best player, but not much ahead of Libba imo)
2. Liberatore
3. Prestia
4. Heppell
5. B. Smith (gun, not too high at al.. would love at piesl)
6. Swallow (will be top 3 if he can continue to improve)
7. Bennell
8. Gaff (not sure where he is heading, hopefully he can go to the next gear)
9. Hibberd
10. I.Smith (slightly overrated imo, interesting to see where he is in 5 years time)
11. Darling
12. Ately
13. Guthrie (underrated.. in 10 years he will certainly be top 10)
14. Dahlhaus (might drop by the end of his career, hope he continues to improve)
15. Lynch
16. Howe(solid player, maybe bit harsh.. very talented)
17. Day
18. Jenkins
19. Polec (rising)
20. Puopolo

I have Lynch top 5-7 but I am biased I guess. I just think a 199cm CHF who is 21 years old and averaged almost 17 touches (can get up the ground) as well as kicking 46 goals is as good a draft win at pick 11 as they come. Not too mention his ground level ability for a big bloke. Rare as hen's teeth.

Langford with a bullet. Can honestly say there aren't many I'd have before him (probably my bias showing).
A month ago us Hawthorn fans wouldn't have even had him in the top 50 for this draft but now there are a lot of neutrals that would argue he'd be top 20.

A month ago us Hawthorn fans wouldn't have even had him in the top 50 for this draft but now there are a lot of neutrals that would argue he'd be top 20.

The time will come when Langford gets given opposition attention and becomes tagged. Right now he is playing great two way football, but you can't put him ahead of blokes who have been tagged and been their teams top 1/2 midfielder. Genuinely excited to see him play next year though, tough, wins contested ball, kicks goals, and is demanding respect of his team mates now, who I have noticed have started looking for him.

Then there are the youngsters Hallahan and Litherland who look like future regulars.
Dang, I'd forgotten about those two being in the same draft. It gets better.

I have Lynch top 5-7 but I am biased I guess. I just think a 199cm CHF who is 21 years old and averaged almost 17 touches (can get up the ground) as well as kicking 46 goals is as good a draft win at pick 11 as they come. Not too mention his ground level ability for a big bloke. Rare as hen's teeth.

Not bias.

He is a star and should have made the AA squad in my opinion. Does not suffer much in comparison to Cameron and is the second best young key forward in the league. Carried the entire front half for six weeks while the rest of your forward line s**t the bed.

Would have no hesitation taking Lynch number 1 in this draft. He is a beauty.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back