Draft Review 2010 - Revisit the 2010 Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

We can agree to disagree. Very few clubs draft the player they think most likely to contribute from the start. Particularly in the earlier rounds, they draft the players they think are likely to contribute the best during their peak years. Otherwise, it is highly unlikely anyone over around 192cm would ever get drafted.

In later rounds of the draft clubs might target players who are more ready made, but their upside is likely to be less - if they were ready to play immediately and their upper limit was high, by definition they wouldn't be late picks.

Some young players do come in and make an immediate impact but I suggest that is a bonus, not what clubs are expecting.
I mean over their whole career. What they give to the club in that time. Rather than say someone who doesnt give.much for 6 years than breaks out and becomes a really good player from yrs 7-10.

What is more valuable though - a midfielder that averages 25 touches for his first ten years, or a forward that has five seasons of 60+ goals but takes 4-5 years to get to that level?

1. Dyson Heppell
2. Luke Parker
3. Tom Liberatore
4. Jack Darling
5. Dion Prestia
6. Harley Benell
7. Isaac Smith
8. Tom Lynch
9. David Swallow
10. Brodie Smith
11. Michael Hibberd
12. Andrew Gaff
13. Sam Day
14. Paul Puopolo
15. Jared Polec
16. Josh Caddy
17. Luke Dahlhaus
18. Jeremy Howe
19. Reece Conca
20. Scott Lycett
Polec higher is a jet

Re-Done Order
1 Thomas Lynch
2 Jack Darling
3 Luke Parker
4 Dyson Heppell
5 Harley Bennell
6 David Swallow
7 Tom Liberatore
8 Dion Prestia
9 Brodie Smith
10 Sam Day
11 Tom McDonald
12 Jeremy Howe
13 Jared Polec
14 Andrew Gaff
15 Isaac Smith
16 Luke Dahlhaus
17 Michael Hibberd
18 Will Langford
19 Cameron Guthrie
20 Josh Caddy

I've ranked these players based not only on what they've done, but also on what they could become. Hence someone like Issac Smith, who has probably reached his peak as a player, is below guys like Polec and Gaff, who hopefully haven't reached their peaks yet.

Polec will end up being higher. You have to remember that Polec has played only 40 games, 24 of which were THIS YEAR, where as most of the guys above him have are getting close to the 100 game mark next season. Look at Heppell - 84 games...double the games played.

Polec has had injuries in every single season he's had and has only just come to an environment where he feels comfortable. He'll be coming into his second sold preseason this year, so he'll get even better next season.

Polec will end up being higher. You have to remember that Polec has played only 40 games, 24 of which were THIS YEAR, where as most of the guys above him have are getting close to the 100 game mark next season. Look at Heppell - 84 games...double the games played.

Polec has had injuries in every single season he's had and has only just come to an environment where he feels comfortable. He'll be coming into his second sold preseason this year, so he'll get even better next season.

So if GC came around tomorrow and offered either Sam Day or Dion Prestia for him, you wouldn't take it?

Re-Done Order
1 Thomas Lynch
2 Jack Darling
3 Luke Parker
4 Dyson Heppell
5 Harley Bennell
6 David Swallow
7 Tom Liberatore
8 Dion Prestia
9 Brodie Smith
10 Sam Day
11 Tom McDonald
12 Jeremy Howe
13 Jared Polec
14 Andrew Gaff
15 Isaac Smith
16 Luke Dahlhaus
17 Michael Hibberd
18 Will Langford
19 Cameron Guthrie
20 Josh Caddy

I've ranked these players based not only on what they've done, but also on what they could become. Hence someone like Issac Smith, who has probably reached his peak as a player, is below guys like Polec and Gaff, who hopefully haven't reached their peaks yet.

Just my biased view, but if you are doing it on what they could do - McGovern should be in there IMO

We will know a lot more next year, when hopefully he has had a proper pre-season - but could rip the comp apart. Unfortunately he could burn out like Adrian McAdam as well.

Just my biased view, but if you are doing it on what they could do - McGovern should be in there IMO

We will know a lot more next year, when hopefully he has had a proper pre-season - but could rip the comp apart. Unfortunately he could burn out like Adrian McAdam as well.

At one stage he had the same numbers as Callum Wilson (7 games, 13 goals.)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No way for Day, he isn't even in the same postcode as Prestia.
But that's the thing, we aren't re-doing this draft based on what they've done, it's what they will be from this day forward.

Whilst I agree 100% that Prestia has had a much more impressive career to date, and I feel like he will have a more impressive career in the future, there is a possibility that Sam Day still develops into the valuable KPF GC had hoped for, and that in itself justifies his re-done position.

McGovern was absolutely an oversight on my part, would have no hesitation in slotting him in with Day, McDonald and Howe. I'm not sure how much better his best could be given he's already had 4 years in the system, and he is such a natural footballer, but I do think he could be a lot more consistent with an improved fitness base.

At one stage he had the same numbers as Callum Wilson (7 games, 13 goals.)

Very true - his numbers compare very favourably to Tom Hawkins at the same age as well.

There is something about the lad though. Sensational hands, beautiful kick and loves to hurt blokes in front of him.

I'm not completely one-eyed that I don't see the possibility that it could all end in tears ala Callum Wilson. But the upside is immense - could be one of the best KP players in the comp. Hopefully the taste of footy helps dissuade him from the taste of burgers and fries.

McGovern was absolutely an oversight on my part, would have no hesitation in slotting him in with Day, McDonald and Howe. I'm not sure how much better his best could be given he's already had 4 years in the system, and he is such a natural footballer, but I do think he could be a lot more consistent with an improved fitness base.

He hasn't really had 4 years in the system - the lad has barely played much footy.

Which is partially his fault given his conditioning and preperation problems...

Perhaps. Most injuries were not fitness related though.

However you are right - not coming back in ripping shape last year was a major let down

If he does it again this year, you could write him off - got the kick up the arse, performed with the big boys - if that isn't carrot enough, then i doubt he will change.

Re-Done Order
1 Thomas Lynch
2 Jack Darling
3 Luke Parker
4 Dyson Heppell
5 Harley Bennell
6 David Swallow
7 Tom Liberatore
8 Dion Prestia
9 Brodie Smith
10 Sam Day
11 Tom McDonald
12 Jeremy Howe
13 Jared Polec
14 Andrew Gaff
15 Isaac Smith
16 Luke Dahlhaus
17 Michael Hibberd
18 Will Langford
19 Cameron Guthrie
20 Josh Caddy

Care to explain why bennell is higher than libba and swallow?

Care to explain why bennell is higher than libba and swallow?
Because he is just so much more damaging as a player. Right now you'd rate Libba as an A grade inside mid, Swallow as a B+ mid with versatility to play a variety of roles and Bennell as a B+ outside mid / high hff. But in the future, I can't see Libba adding much more to his game, I think Swallow should rise to an A grade inside/outside mid and Bennell will be the best outside runner in the land. Trust me, if Bennell was based in Melbourne we'd be talking about him like he was the next Andrew McLeod.

1.Dyson Heppell
2. Luke Parker
3. Jack Darling
4. Tom Liberatore
5. Dion Prestia
6. Isaac Smith
7. Harley Benell
8. Tom Lynch
9. David Swallow
10. Scott Lycett
11. Josh Caddy
12. Sam Day