What now for Essendon?

Remove this Banner Ad

We are doing no different to what other supporters do when their team is struggling badly a coach gets judge on wins and losses and that's what happening atm.

Im not one of them, i march to the beat of my own drum, ask anyone on our board.

Teams that need total rebuilds don't beat teams like Hawthorn and nearly Sydney.
Essendon need to cull a few and need a fresh coaching structure, but not a total rebuild.
Teams that don't need total rebuilds also don't lose by 110 to a team that IS rebuilding. Not to mention your last month of losing by around 50.

R15 2010: Essendon (12th) def by Melbourne (14th) by 16 = -2
R11 2011: Essendon (5th) def by Melbourne (10th) by 33 = -5
R10 2012: Essendon (2nd) def by Melbourne (18th) by 6 = -16
R2 2013: Essendon (3rd) def Melbourne (18th) by 148 = 0 (didn't loose)
R13 2014: Essendon (9th) def by Melbourne (15th) by 1 = -6

Apart from the glaringly obvious crushing of Melbourne, we've lost, by, in 4 games, to a total of a team 29 places on the ladder below us. That's got to be the worst ever.

Wasn't that the game neeld got the bullet.? The same neeld who may be your next coach?

De Ja vu

Wasn't that the game neeld got the bullet.? The same neeld who may be your next coach?

De Ja vu

He should have been fired after that loss by our board waited for another equally as disgraceful a defeat on QB until they finally gave him the bullet.

not the only one that remembers the backslapping when hird got his extension. it really stuck it right up us, so proud of their club.
underneath that was a decision made in haste, maybe with some 'inducements' thrown in. not a typical situation, not a typical extension, and not necessarily based on results.
he may have lost the players... but wait until he loses the fans. i hope for essendon's sake they have told the truth to their supporters because the force of thousands of microwaves stand ready if a certain result comes out in the wash. and the players... can you imagine what it would be like to take direction and criticism from someone so central to the saga hanging over their heads?

anyway, with the formalities out of the way... how quickly supporters forget arguments about creating a losing culture by playing for picks, when it comes to their own teams turn to be shit. don't go down that path.
as was always the case... you might lose a few of the rusted-on fans when you sack a club favorite. funnily enough, often the fans that scream loudest about needing to stick fat and preach loyalty at all costs, are the first to jump ship if something doesn't go their way. all fans are conditional to some extent so don't get upset at people supposedly leaving in droves.

at the moment it looks so bleak because there is no hope. at carlton, we still need a lot of improvement to be anywhere near contention but a month ago we were more or less at our own nadir. but the supporter base becomes re-energized. it doesn't even have to be a sacking of the coach, but they at least have to change the way they do things. re-focus on the fundamentals. and of course give the list a good prune.

I don't rate much at Essendon.
Their board is probably the weakest link, lack any form of strong leadership and pander to fan boy coteries. They totally squibbed the doping thing, and fully deserve the brunt of anything that comes their way.

The coaching staff is meek, led by the biggest imposter to grace the coaches box of all time. But enough has been said about him.

Dodoro has Heppell to hang his hat on, but otherwise has picked a shit load of duds and washed up hacks. But like most mediocre individuals at Windy Hill, he is put on a pedestal for some bizarre reason.

Growing up every second kid was a Bombers fan, but they haven't fired a shot in 15 years and won't be anytime soon. I envied them for a long time but now they could be the next Melbourne...

The problem I see is that the board can't sack Hird really

After backing him for so long

They also have coin issues ......they must have serious low coinage issues ...and if they sack him there's more coin down the tube

Did Hird say something about how hard it is to win with more than 7 players under 50 games?

Well, first of all James, the saints had 8 under 50 too. But lets see how other teams go...

In Collingwoods 8 wins so far this year, they have averaged 10.6 players under 50 games with no less than 8 in any win and up to 12 in some.

In the Bulldogs 8 wins so far this year, they have averaged 11.9 players under 50 games with no less than 9 in any win and up to 14 in one.

Those are just the ones I looked into. What now? Sack Hird for a start. Guy has run out of excuses.

What do you expect when you top up with players who are limited at best and are cooked? Essendon gave a 3rd rounder for Cooney in a strong draft...a list position to Gwilt, and that is not to mention not delisting Steingberg who is average at the absolute best.

The club doesn't need a full rebuild but they need to make some tough calls, and probably trade a high asset.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i think it's going to be tough times until the WADA issue is decided and the club has a fresh start..

I personally can't see the club even making finals for 4-5+ years and that's if everything goes well. If recruiting goes the right way and the team gets a bit of a luck on their side and skill level increases.

I think Essendon may go through a dissapointing stagnation period of 20+ years and beyond since the 2000 season.

Hope I'm wrong. But it's been ground hog year since 2005.

Who knows how long this saga will linger on for.

It's been a horrible time for Essendon fans.

The AFL goes through peaks and trots of teams winning and losing over decades, but just the fact Essendon can't even be competitive to make finals, that's what's been most dissapointing. Over a long period.

Bombers players will never admit it, but maybe Mitchell's gesture was the straw that broke the camel's back of the players psyche.
Coming from a peer, 3x premiership player and former captain, they are left in no uncertain terms what the footy world really thinks of them.
Deep down they know Hird has been feeding them bollocks all this time.

Bombers players will never admit it, but maybe Mitchell's gesture was the straw that broke the camel's back of the players psyche.
Coming from a peer, 3x premiership player and former captain, they are left in no uncertain terms what the footy world really thinks of them.
Deep down they know Hird has been feeding them bollocks all this time.

The players don't live under a rock. They'll be under no doubt what the general public think of them...

IMHO, the players have stopped playing for Hirdy after seeing him week-in week-out protesting the club's innocence.

I feel that it is possible that the players realise that what they were put through by their own club and the leaders within, obviously including Hird, was not that of a sound professional sporting department and they are unwittingly withdrawing a certain percentage of performance from their games.

We all know that this competition is very even right now, as evidenced by the regular upset wins and burgeoning ability of teams such as the Western Bulldogs, St Kilda and Melbourne. If the remark that if "you're off a few percent anyone can beat you" in years past was a cliche, this now rings true.

If the Bombers players are subconsciously fearful, angry or resentful of their club that they are still dealing with this (ie. WADA case hanging over their heads) despite the fact that the club has never come out and admitted its wrongdoings, this could account for their pitiful performance this year.

The gap between the honesty of the players and the club's lack thereof could account for their dismal standing in the game as of early July 2015.

The club needs to come out and admit what they did so that the players and the club as a whole can finally heal. Whether or not Hird is there after this step, they will move on more successfully.

The AFL and its fans have forgotten just how hard West Coast worked to clean up its image after the Ben Cousins and co. drug debacle. It took an unprecedented fall from grace of a club captain/league champion and the respiratory arrest of Chad Fletcher to finally sink into the minds of West Coast management that there was a cultural problem that had to be remedied by not a quick fix, not ongoing denials, but honestly and strength in leadership going forward.

The Bombers have not been able to do this, IMHO because they have maintained their stance of denial all along.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back