News New AFL TV Rights Deal (2017-2022) - 2.508 Billion

Remove this Banner Ad

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Just announced today, Seven Foxtel and Telstra will retain the right. a few interesting points to take.

• The deal is obvious a record and a huge coup for the AFL, who will get a significantly higher TV rights deal than the "TV sport" NRL
  • From 2017, all games on Seven will be in HD (and potentially in 2016, although nothing decided yet)
  • From 2017, it appears there will be 5 games on FTA for 17 rounds of the year, which include Thursday night/Public holidays, Friday night, Sat afternoon (channel 10) Sat Night and sunday afternoon.
  • Foxtel appear likely to sell a Saturday afternoon game to Channel 10.
  • All QLD/NSW teams will have their games live on FTA in their respective markets
  • Channel 7 and Foxtel committed to helping the AFL grow in QLD and NSW.
  • Telstra retain the digital rights

Not sure if there's anything I missed, pretty great deal for the AFL and it's fans... we get more live games, FTA games in HD, and an extra game on FTA most weeks. The AFL will also be super pleased they retain control over the fixture, the grand final, and the "expansion" clubs get looked after... the 2.5 billion dollars isn't too bad either.

Sweet, no need for the football department tax anymore as the AFL can just prop up the lower clubs even more.
Won't happen. Struggling clubs will still get a s**t stadium deal by Etihad which we will prop up until it's finished and they prosper.

How do we get more FTA games,when it appears that they are cutting out the Saturday afternoon game?

Really,it seems like a great result for the players,clubs,and the A.F.L,but not so great for the public who get nothing new out of this deal.

Can someone explain why it's so difficult for 7 to step into 2015 and present the game in HD? It's ridiculous. So much is done by the AFL to try and present that game in a way that's more attractive to fans yet on free to air where the game is reaching the majority of people it looks like s**t compared to other sports.

Can someone explain why it's so difficult for 7 to step into 2015 and present the game in HD? It's ridiculous. So much is done by the AFL to try and present that game in a way that's more attractive to fans yet on free to air where the game is reaching the majority of people it looks like s**t compared to other sports.

Won't happen. Struggling clubs will still get a s**t stadium deal by Etihad which we will prop up until it's finished and they prosper.
The AFL is likely to take over ownership of that stadium during this TV rights deal, so that cuts that problem out.

But yeah they won't back track on that stupid tax now.

Not a great TV deal for fans, great for those who make a living through the game though.

Let's just pray Channel 7 can actually afford to pay some decent commentators.
I've always been a Channel 7 fan, (sorry Ed) but I've had a gut full of the incorrect names being called even by golden tonsils!
And don't get me started on BT spouting crap and Bruce questioning every statement he, (Bruce) makes.
I know you know what I mean hey?

Fans get shafted with FTA TV games. Seven only broadcasting 3.5 games a round on average. Canned the Satdee arvo games.

Being up here, we always get Suns v Lions games live, so I have to buy the Live App anyway. But if you don't pay for view via Digital or Foxtel TV you'll be light a Saturday arvo game a week. It's partially made up from Public Holiday and Thursday night games.

Positive side, the big money increase should see decent increase in the Salary cap, making Adam Treloar even more affordable.:p

How do we get more FTA games,when it appears that they are cutting out the Saturday afternoon game?

Really,it seems like a great result for the players,clubs,and the A.F.L,but not so great for the public who get nothing new out of this deal.

Channel 7 will broad 3.5 games on FTA per week on average.

Foxtell will on-sell their Saturday afternoon time slot to (presumably) Channel 10, which gives 4-5 FTA games per week, an increase on the current agreement.

The CEO of channel 7 said "technical difficulties" are why they aren't broadcasting in HD, I don't think its as simple as you may presume.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Now for the players association to ramp up their requests. The deal is a massive massive 67% increase over the current agreement so we can start to see that the PA will be demanding a significant increase in TPP. So paying a Treloar $800k for example under this new agreement will be equivalent to say $600k in the current agreement.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Channel 7 will broad 3.5 games on FTA per week on average.

Foxtell will on-sell their Saturday afternoon time slot to (presumably) Channel 10, which gives 4-5 FTA games per week, an increase on the current agreement.

The CEO of channel 7 said "technical difficulties" are why they aren't broadcasting in HD, I don't think its as simple as you may presume.

Yeah my understanding is that HD cameras are significantly more expensive than SD ones (not even considering the cost of the telecast) and consider the sheer number of cameras they need at an AFL game. (and then the number of venues they need to get these to) - not an easy or cheap task

If you dislike watching AFL that much just don't watch the last 5-6 rounds of the season ;)
I'll think about it. In all seriousness though, how huge would showdowns, western derbies, (not Q-qlash), collingwood v carlton etc be if they only happened once per year excluding finals. Less footy but more must-watch footy I reckon

Now for the players association to ramp up their requests. The deal is a massive massive 67% increase over the current agreement so we can start to see that the PA will be demanding a significant increase in TPP. So paying a Treloar $800k for example under this new agreement will be equivalent to say $600k in the current agreement.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think this is the sort of thing Sydney was betting on when they picked up buddy

Yeah my understanding is that HD cameras are significantly more expensive than SD ones (not even considering the cost of the telecast) and consider the sheer number of cameras they need at an AFL game. (and then the number of venues they need to get these to) - not an easy or cheap task

It's not a $$ issue, it's a genuine technical issue that is stopping it from happening.

I'll think about it. In all seriousness though, how huge would showdowns, western derbies, (not Q-qlash), collingwood v carlton etc be if they only happened once per year excluding finals. Less footy but more must-watch footy I reckon

They would be just as big as they are now, but with less of them to enjoy.

Hurray :drunk::thumbsu:

Doesn't the EPL go for 38 weeks or something? And I think that league goes alright...

Good money if you can get it.
Still seeing the Rhodes scholar as head of commission, that just bugs me.
Just don't like him. It's not the Carlton thing, that doesn't help, but ..... Horrible

Remove this Banner Ad

Back