News Otten re-signs for 2 years

Remove this Banner Ad

Just heard on the radio that we are close to signing Shaw as well, they made it sound like it's a massive coup, I thought it was one or the other (him or Otten but we keeping both) :-@

I can cope with us keeping players like Otten and Shaw as long as there is some excitement in the players we trade in or draft

Gotta see some improvement in the list each year

Danger out is not an improvement but let's see how we handle it

Some predictably pathetic responses here. 2 year deal on likely minimal money for a guy who is pretty handy depth is about right, maybe 1 too many but hardly a diabolical list management move.

Echo the thoughts about us chasing mids in the trade and draft period. Makes total sense given we've lost the best one and the 2nd best one can't get on the field.

The Adelaide Crows hand out 2 year contracts for being nice guys , this is deplorable list management along with the Mackay 4 year deal , the Clarke 2 year coaching deal .... f..k me Crows get real , yeah real mediocre . JOKE !

Given I've been outspoken in this thread (apologies to Andy, you're no doubt a top bloke) then I'd say Otten, Mackay, Wright, VB should've been moved on asap.

Lowden looking worse than Angus Graham…one year left.

Martin is actually the epitome of good depth (if you need it) as he can actually come in and perform adequately at AFL level. But if not needed then delist.

Cheney a keeper, again is actually 'good depth'.

Kerridge should be traded.

I'd keep 2 of CEY, Grigg, Lyons.
Kerridge just needs a chance

I'm not too fussed by this. A one year extension would perhaps have been preferred given his comeback from a knee, but who knows, maybe it was 2 yrs or nothing from his POV, and given the low money he's probably on, the club felt at that money he's good value.

Would love to see him back to his best, but 2013 is a while ago now...

Sorry I don't agree with this call. All likelihood Otten doesn't play any games next year with Hartigan, Talia, Shaw, Lever, Cheney, M.Talia/Hartley all more likely to take defensive spots, which is where Otten would be most likely to play. Love to be wrong but this seems like a mistake to me.

Otten can also play forward. They may consider him as cover for Lynch, if he goes down. Scored 9 goals in the last 4 games of 2013. A long time ago, I know, but just saying...

Should we have spent all this time rehabbing him and then cut him the moment he became fit?

I doubt he's on much coin.

Why the extra year though. Ironically, it appears as though our best recent player in Thommo has had to earn the right for a warranted extra year. Every other player who looks barely capable of the extra year seem to get another on top of that.

Good depth, he is ahead of Cheney but behind Lever, Talia and even Hartigan at this stage. Needs a really solid preseason and hopefully be in the 22-26 player bracket pushing for selection. Handy swing-man at SANFL level in the last 4 games too. You have to wonder would we be aiming to pick up any better immediate options at the draft this year, probably not so no harm keeping him on.

I hope he can get back to best 22 form. But I fear he might be depth. Better to have good depth for teo years than take an extra player in a weak draft.

May not bode well for Shaw though....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

on pure talent alone he is worth it.

if reports are correct that this is a weak draft past 24, what is the point of getting rid of him if they believe there is a role for him

Clearly the type of person you want around the club and lets hope we see him back to his very best (even Walker struggled post injury)

I think the argument will centre around the extra year. I can't really see him in our fully fit best 22 at either end of the ground, so 2 years seems to at least 1 year too long.

Happy for them to give him a new contract, just not sure that 2 years was wise. I guess a lot depends on how well he recovers from his latest knee injury. By all accounts his SANFL form was good, after returning, but it remains to be seen whether or not that can be translated to the AFL level.

At his best, he'd be ahead of Cheney, Hartigan and VB (Otten can play both tall and small). Right now, his best would put him ahead of Lever as well, though I expect Lever to go past him fairly quickly. He also offers a degree of flexibility, with a demonstrated ability to play at both ends of the ground - this makes him a very handy depth player.

However, if he can't get back to his best, then we're looking at having him playing in the SANFL for 2 more years.

I would have thought that a 12-month contract would have been sufficient, with a potential 2-year contract on offer at the end of 2016 if he's able to force his way back into the AFL team on a regular basis.

Not only that, Otten is a quality player, regardless of what keyboard warriors think. He hasn't had the chance to put the doubters to bed and I'm really looking forward to him proving them wrong.

Me and you both. You can tell hearing him speak he is a quality bloke.

Surely this is sarcasm. He flat out sucked in 2014. He had a good 5 game stretch in 2013 in an injury ravaged forward line, a position where he will never get another game in his life given the forwards we have at our disposal now.

Other than that he has been pus since 2009.

Bad luck he did his knee - sure. I feel bad for the guy. But it doesn't mean we keep him on the list forever.

This is up there with Reilly and Mackay levels of list management.
Sometimes one needs to take stock of their thoughts and come to realisation that some of them are really just s**t.

A 1 year contract for a player like otten is stupid, if we just want him as a depth player then hes not going to get worse in 2 year and if we want him as a best 22 player than 2/3 years is the best option. People are acting silly, trust the club.

Kind of odd reading all this vitriol for a player who, when fit, is easily in our best 22. Versatile and athletic, great reader of the game. It was a long time ago but finished 2nd in the Rising Star ahead of guys like Beams, Ward, Hill (and Danger and Tex). If he can get his body right, will be like a new recruit for us. Capable of playing anywhere, we don't really have anyone else like him.

Short memories.

You should hear Dmac speak, I was blown away by a press conference I saw earlier in the year. It's a really handy attribute to take into a game of football. Elite speaking, you beauty, we're on the right track now folks.

It's good that you have totally misinterpreted my previous posts also. Carry on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back