News Otten re-signs for 2 years

Remove this Banner Ad

I think the change to the sub rule means we want players that can play at either end too ... Otten is a much better player than Mackay, and definitely above VB. That isn't a great way to judge players, but I think comparing him to those two in particular at this stage of all their careers is a little unfair.

Surely he is best 22 when fully fit?

You're great with a witty retort but what is your opinion of the players mentioned? Good list management or bad?

I'm not a fan of Mackay. That was a poor decision. Wright, I think will be delisted or traded but I'm not going to bag every single decision the club makes for the sake of finding fault.

I think Otten is good depth to have and will be used as such.

on pure talent alone he is worth it.

if reports are correct that this is a weak draft past 24, what is the point of getting rid of him if they believe there is a role for him

Clearly the type of person you want around the club and lets hope we see him back to his very best (even Walker struggled post injury)

2 years is interesting, considering his injury history. But I'm a big fan of Andy Otten, so I'm happy to see him staying.

At the end of the day to improve you need to make room and create opportunities.for young talent

Currently we have Otten, Shaw, Martin, Kerridge, DMac, Wright, CEY, Grigg, Lowden, VB and Cheney who have all been in the AFL system for some time having low impact on our overall season

The question is how many of these players can you continue to carry?
Given I've been outspoken in this thread (apologies to Andy, you're no doubt a top bloke) then I'd say Otten, Mackay, Wright, VB should've been moved on asap.

Lowden looking worse than Angus Graham…one year left.

Martin is actually the epitome of good depth (if you need it) as he can actually come in and perform adequately at AFL level. But if not needed then delist.

Cheney a keeper, again is actually 'good depth'.

Kerridge should be traded.

I'd keep 2 of CEY, Grigg, Lyons.

I think the change to the sub rule means we want players that can play at either end too ... Otten is a much better player than Mackay, and definitely above VB. That isn't a great way to judge players, but I think comparing him to those two in particular at this stage of all their careers is a little unfair.

Surely he is best 22 when fully fit?
Def better than VB and Mackay…but shouldn't be best 22.

It takes 24 months for a player to get back to 100% after a 12month injury, that's why he gets 2 years, next year will be an inconsistent year for Otten like the year after his first reco was. Like Tex's 2014 was and like VB's 2015 was. We are re-signing Otten because we want him for 2017.

This is ridiculous.

I'm sorry, I know Otten is a 'heart and soul' type player, much like VB, but he hasn't been a good footballer since his injury.

2 years! Should have been a 1 year max.

I reckon FA has freaked AFC into some rubbish decisions.

Now we've wasted 2 years maybe someone can teach him to tackle and handball and try him in the middle? The only match-ups he can prosper in are against useless 3rd tall forwards.
He was v good forward in 2013 in time of need , think that's his best spot from here , not quite best 22 though but not the worst re- signing , we've already had that

Would have liked to have seen Shaw rookie listed
but doesnt sound that will happen

It takes 24 months for a player to get back to 100% after a 12month injury, that's why he gets 2 years, next year will be an inconsistent year for Otten like the year after his first reco was. Like Tex's 2014 was and like VB's 2015 was. We are re-signing Otten because we want him for 2017.
Except for lever ;-)

He's big enough to do well in SANFL.

Let me guess, he was loose man in defence?

What type of forward do you see him matching up on in the AFL? Who does he replace in the side?

Nope he wasn't the loose man in all the games. He often had a player to 'mind'. Sometimes we would engineer him to be the loose man, other times Cheney or Ramsey.

He is a third tall option and always has been. If he is good enough to push out Lever/Cheney then he is good enough, otherwise that is a quality AFL player we know can play at the level who can come in and provide much needed assistance in the backlines. It was also mentioned that we could use him up forward as well. We had a pretty decent run with injuries but good list management is one which does re-invigorate your list as well as providing depth and youth coming through on balance. You also need to plan for quality to be their depth wise for a player to be the 'next man up' ala Hawthorn and what West Coast have been able to do this year.

Third talls, well I see our options as youth we know can play at the level - Lever and Kelly, and experience in Cheney and Otten. Ramsey can play down back and up forward, same with Otten, so that gives us five options without including Shaw, who is a little shorter than Lever but taller than Otten, while Kelly and Cheney are shorter than the others. That's a decent blend and we know that of the four main ones I named, they can play at a decent level in the AFL and have enough variety that it can cover different types of forwards. Shaw has made a decent comeback in the SANFL and those shocking kicks we used to see are pretty much gone!

Also this is not a Noble decision but a Justin Reid one, as he is our List Manager.

I'm not a fan of Mackay. That was a poor decision. Wright, I think will be delisted or traded but I'm not going to bag every single decision the club makes for the sake of finding fault.

I think Otten is good depth to have and will be used as such.
Thanks for the constructive detail.

I certainly don't bag every decision! Walsh, Fagan and hopefully Pyke…all great decisions. Playing wise the Jenkins trade looking genius, I'll back in Cheney, the drafting of Lever at 14…brilliant, Knight and Atkins as late picks fantastic, Brodie Smith in the teens, Charlie as a rookie pick i backed from the moment i saw his highlights and then saw playing SANFL, I agree with keeping Shaw for another year…plenty of decisions I like!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Given I've been outspoken in this thread (apologies to Andy, you're no doubt a top bloke) then I'd say Otten, Mackay, Wright, VB should've been moved on asap.

Lowden looking worse than Angus Graham…one year left.

Martin is actually the epitome of good depth (if you need it) as he can actually come in and perform adequately at AFL level. But if not needed then delist.

Cheney a keeper, again is actually 'good depth'.

Kerridge should be traded.

I'd keep 2 of CEY, Grigg, Lyons.
Squirming when you put otten in same sentence as VB, wright and Mackay

He has more class , 2nd in a rising star and slower down by injury rather than much else

Gee some of you are hard. You want every player to be an absolute star and when they don't get picked you get upset. Now I am generalising with this no particular person singled out. My point is this, sure he is not overly blessed with pace but I can see him as coming into the side if needed or indeed if his form warranted and playing full back. Talia would move back to CHB and really what would be the real downside of that. He is an experienced player so sometimes that makes up for a lack of speed. 2 years is fine with me, allows anyone we draft as a defender time to develop. Just my opinion.

Squirming when you put otten in same sentence as VB, wright and Mackay

He has more class , 2nd in a rising star and slower down by injury rather than much else
Totally agree, many of my comments on Otten are based on him post knees…it's such a shame but it has happened.

I remember being at the pre-season training session when he did his knee. We were all very excited at the prospect of Otten becoming a big-bodied midfielder.

I've always said his tackling is poor, and his handballing is weak due to weird technique. Kicking is inaccurate but can bomb it a mile so I wouldn't preclude him on kicking alone.

Unfortunately since that talented start (playing in the best defence you can imagine surrounding a young guy), he has lost agility and doesn't seem to have gained in core/upper body strength.

I desperately hope he proves me wrong, we need to do far better with players 15-35 on our list.

Says to me the strategy for draft and trade is clearly set now. With Otten in and Shaw likely as well we are using these guys with their size to sure things up. If they push into first 22, good on them. Two guys standing up for the Eagles in Shepherd and Schofield may not be playing as often with Brown and McKenzie out long term. They've stood up big time. Maybe our next coach current list has been stretched for depth and figures these guys have a role to play.

Thanks for the constructive detail.

I certainly don't bag every decision! Walsh, Fagan and hopefully Pyke…all great decisions. Playing wise the Jenkins trade looking genius, I'll back in Cheney, the drafting of Lever at 14…brilliant, Knight and Atkins as late picks fantastic, Brodie Smith in the teens, Charlie as a rookie pick i backed from the moment i saw his highlights and then saw playing SANFL, I agree with keeping Shaw for another year…plenty of decisions I like!

I apologize, I'll try to come across as a rambling lunatic more in future.

Just heard on the radio that we are close to signing Shaw as well, they made it sound like it's a massive coup, I thought it was one or the other (him or Otten but we keeping both) :-@

Remove this Banner Ad

Back