2015/16 Pre-Season Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Champion Data has ranked every teams midfield for quality, depth and top 6

They rate our midfield as great and not needing any top up.

Just kidding they think it's s**t ;)

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...d/news-story/4bfa7afe898c7170ee7e010bba0a6000
Of course, we just lost an elite mid. Also, doubt they perform any adjustment on the data to take account that there the other guys will now spend the equivalent of additional 85% of one persons time in the midfield.

Ie the stats probably show we are now a whole midfielder down instead of 3/4 of a midfielder.

Champion Data has ranked every teams midfield for quality, depth and top 6

They rate our midfield as great and not needing any top up.

Just kidding they think it's s**t ;)

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...d/news-story/4bfa7afe898c7170ee7e010bba0a6000

mids.png
How does that work?

Hawks are 15th on Depth, 8th on Quality - but rank 5th overall?

Sydney have worse depth and Quality than Fremantle but rank above them?

WTF? Are they trying to show that these two rankings are insignificant when looking at overall midfield ranking?

90% of inside mid time is shared by five players. Last year we initially used Dangerfield, Thommo and CEY with Sloaney and Dougie also spending significant minutes as inside midfielders. Lyon, Grigg, vB, Wright, Eddie and Laird also picked up the odd rotation. In the second half of the season we added Matty Crouch for CEY but increased the time in the middle for Dangerfield (he spent less time forward), Sloane and Douglas. Our inside midfield was statistically very strong at winning clearances but you could question the quality of our clearances. Based on the NAB matches I expect that our four main inside midfielders will be Sloane, Douglas, Thommo and Matty Crouch. Not as good as last year but hardly a disgrace.

Good analysis. :thumbsu:

Also you mentioned 5 mids for inside but then only named four, sloane, douglas, thommo and Mrouch. You omitted Brouch from that last list (possibly deliberately) but if fit he'll be a handy 5th, considering he's likely the best of all of them.

View attachment 223265
How does that work?

WTF? Are they trying to show that these two rankings are insignificant when looking at overall midfield ranking?
I don't think the depth is a ranking in quality, just the amount of midfield players on the team.

View attachment 223265
How does that work?

Maybe the quality ranking gives a weighting to individuals, i.e. not just the "Best six" as a unit. So Hawthorn are up there with Hodge and Mitchell. Geelong are 3rd with Danger and Selwood etc despite having no depth etc.

Maybe Champion_Data could clarify?

Hi guys, couldn't find a Supercoach thread so I decided to post in here.....how's Andy Otten traveling ? Chance to play Rd 1? Thnx in advance.

Can't see him playing a single game for us this year unless we sustain serious injuries. He won't be available for a while either

our best six mids - Sloane, Thommo, Dougie, Brouch, Mrouch and ... VB/DMac
Please tell me you're not serious?!

I'd be happy to put Atkins, Knight, Seedsman, Lyons, CEY into that last midfield spot ahead of the names mentioned. Hell, I'd probably add Cameron and Milera to that list as well! If we chose to restructure Smith would easily be in as well. Laird also.

FantasyFreako from CD posted their first article for the year. Says 67.4% of our possessions were uncontested, which was the highest in the NAB Challenge, while in 2015 we had the second lowest.

Definite change up, I wonder if that's due to Danger leaving, or just pure Pyke on how he thinks we should play.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FantasyFreako from CD posted their first article for the year. Says 67.4% of our possessions were uncontested, which was the highest in the NAB Challenge, while in 2015 we had the second lowest.

Definite change up, I wonder if that's due to Danger leaving, or just pure Pyke on how he thinks we should play.
Probably a combination of both.

The Champion Data analysis is seriously flawed.

The "Midfield" consists of three parts. The ruckman, the inside mids and the outside mids (which arguably should also include the high half-forwards).

Our "Ruckmen" (= 90% Sauce + 10% JJ) should be just as strong this year. Hopefully JJ will improve a smidge.

Teams will typically use up to 10 players on the inside throughout a game but for most clubs well over 90% of inside mid time is shared by five players. Last year we initially used Dangerfield, Thommo and CEY with Sloaney and Dougie also spending significant minutes as inside midfielders. Lyon, Grigg, vB, Wright, Eddie and Laird also picked up the odd rotation. In the second half of the season we added Matty Crouch for CEY but increased the time in the middle for Dangerfield (he spent less time forward), Sloane and Douglas. Our inside midfield was statistically very strong at winning clearances but you could question the quality of our clearances. Based on the NAB matches I expect that our four main inside midfielders will be Sloane, Douglas, Thommo and Matty Crouch. Not as good as last year but hardly a disgrace.

Our key problem last year was our outside midfielders. For nearly two thirds of the season our main outside midfielders were van Berlo (subsequently moved to defence via the SANFL) Mackay and Henderson. Brodie Smith looked fantastic as an outside midfielder in the first 2 matches but following the concussions he eventually moved back into defence. We also had the pace of Wrighty as a high half forward adding to the mix. In the last third of the season we added Knight and Atkins and we started to look a whole lot better. This year we will add Seedsman, Milera and Menzel and possible Hampton to the mix.

With respect, I don't think that Champion data have any idea how much improved our outside midfield will be this year (and I haven't even mentioned the possibility of a breakout year for DMac :rolleyes:).

Where does Brad Crouch fit in to this analysis? Why do people keep leaving Brad Crouch out?

Crows give Crouch his shot

Now I know that officially the club is trying to keep expectations low for Brad's return:

Pyke urges patience with returning Crow Crouch

... but even so this is great news. If the issue with Brad's foot has finally been properly addressed, as appears to be the case, then there is the potential that Brad can add significantly to the Crows midfield strength for 2016.

Of course, we just lost an elite mid. Also, doubt they perform any adjustment on the data to take account that there the other guys will now spend the equivalent of additional 85% of one persons time in the midfield.

Ie the stats probably show we are now a whole midfielder down instead of 3/4 of a midfielder.

Is Brad Crouch part of this analysis? I can't see how if we lose Dangerfield but gain Brad Crouch we can still be considered to be a whole midfielder down.

I think the all inside/contested ball is king plan doesn't really work and I am glad that it looks like we are moving away from that. People talk about finals being contested, but it isn't so much about how many players you can get to the contest or whether you are first to the ball, it is about being able to get the ball out cleanly to outside players who dispose quickly and effectively, just watch the Hawks in the semifinal last year for a prime example of this.

Another advantage of a more balanced inside/outside game is players are positioned more evenly on the field so if turn overs happen, less energy is expended in getting back into defence.

I'm so glad that we are the only team likely to improve from within. It would be really irritating if those other pesky teams tried that same trick :)

Funnily enough some teams do not improve from within.

I thought we improved, partly due to drafting too.

And then, when teams do have significant numbers of players, it's not unreasonable to expect natural improvement from the Camerons and Levers and Atkins and Crouches

Funnily enough some teams do not improve from within.

I thought we improved, partly due to drafting too.

And then, when teams do have significant numbers of players, it's not unreasonable to expect natural improvement from the Camerons and Levers and Atkins and Crouches

Thanks Ayresy! :D

I think the all inside/contested ball is king plan doesn't really work and I am glad that it looks like we are moving away from that. People talk about finals being contested, but it isn't so much about how many players you can get to the contest or whether you are first to the ball, it is about being able to get the ball out cleanly to outside players who dispose quickly and effectively, just watch the Hawks in the semifinal last year for a prime example of this.

Another advantage of a more balanced inside/outside game is players are positioned more evenly on the field so if turn overs happen, less energy is expended in getting back into defence.
I think both Sanderson and Walsh (at least he would have been initially if we still made the same trades with him) were a bit hamstrung by the lack of quality outside players we had. Everyone was an inside mid, so we had to play to that strength. We at least have a few more options now to try and get a good balance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back