Duke Balls to be used in Australia in 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

About time!

http://www.watoday.com.au/sport/cric...29-gnt92w.html

"English-made Dukes cricket balls will be used in the second half of Sheffield Shield seasons from next year, Cricket Australia will announce on Wednesday.

The initiative is meant to help Australian players prepare more thoroughly for future overseas tours, especially Ashes tours. Kookaburra balls still will be used in the first half of each season, in the lead-in to home Test series. But Kookaburra will lose its long-standing monopoly in Australia."

Read more at the article.

It's the techniques that need fixing, not the balls.

It's both. Clear as day the techniques fall to pieces when it moves off the straight but no-one will convince me the Kookaburra ball is good. It stops swinging after 6 overs! No wonder our middle order bats are padding up stats...it aint swinging!

Ding! Hit the nail on the head.

Pitches are not helping either. Can we stop producing roads, it isn't hard.

Won't make a difference.

Clay is much harder here and if we keep on preparing roads of course the balls will get smashed.

Maybe so, but there is no harm in trying. Doing the same thing when it is failing right now isn't working. Pitches need to be better and I prefer Duke balls.

Pitches are completely independent of the type of ball that gets used

If we want to produce roads (and I don't want to)....we have to find a ball that gives the bowlers SOMETHING! That might be a Duke version.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Former Aus test cricketer and current Shield Cricketer. Matthew Wade

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/2016/03/30/05/13/ca-to-use-dukes-ball-in-shield-cricket

However Wade said that given the balls will be made for Australian conditions, it will do little to help prepare first class batsmen.

"I've played with the hard-wicket ones in the West Indies and they don't do anything close to what the ones in the UK do, because they are obviously made to take a little bit more abrasiveness off the wicket," he said.

"So it'll be interesting to see how it goes but I don't think it will make a huge difference going to a Duke."

Traditional Australian Kookaburra balls will still be used for the first half of the season, and while neither Wade or South Australian coach Jamie Siddons see any issue in changing balls mid-season, neither felt it would help Australia's batsman ahead of the 2019 Ashes tour.

Siddons:
"For me it doesn't relate to what will happen in England as it is different conditions," Siddons said.

"At least the bowlers will get a good look at the Dukes ball which is a positive."

The non-cricketer Pat Howard
"Some people might think changing a brand of cricket ball is a minor consideration," he said.

"But as we have seen from past Ashes campaigns in England, it can be a significant factor."

So apparently it's the ball that is the issue in England and not the weather or pitch?

When we going to start using SG balls so we can magically start playing spin then?
Too bad we can't doctor pitches to Spin square from session 1 like in India. We need to get better at playing the conditions, we need to get better with the moving ball.

Conditions can be mitigated somewhat by playing more tour matches. I know the schedule is a lot more packed than since the Invincibles tour but look at how many tour matches they played :eek:

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/series/61329.html?template=fixtures

12 just before the first test, that's how you get more accustomed to the conditions, not saying we should play that many but for important tours to India and England we could definitely play more than we presently do.

It's both. Clear as day the techniques fall to pieces when it moves off the straight but no-one will convince me the Kookaburra ball is good. It stops swinging after 6 overs! No wonder our middle order bats are padding up stats...it aint swinging!
Do you actually play cricket?

Do you actually play cricket?

Yes, although I haven't for a year and a bit due to a back injury.

I'm all for trialing different balls. We need to get the ball moving a bit, now will the duke do it possibly, possibly not. At least it will allow our bowlers to bowl with the ball before the Ashes.

Another example of the idiocy of CA. Will we play twilight (pink ball) with a duke ball? FMD we have some idiots in charge?
Just think, the solution to our swing problems has been available at K-Mart all this time....

629ebc1cd430c1393e9140c9c7e6cb16.jpg

:p:p

Remove this Banner Ad

Back