Rodney Eade - Sacked

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm surprised the OP has been attacked so much, I agree that Eade is quite ordinary & he should be under pressure. Yes there are injuries but everyone gets them. There's a lot of supposed talent on that list, but they aren't looking great at the moment..

Not after tomorrow.

You think your rabble of a list, with no forward line and spuds like Frost in the backline is going to get you the w tomorrow?.
I'd much prefer goldcoast's list to Collingwoods, injuries to their better players have affected them. Whether someone other than Eade could do better, it's too early to say

Everyone was quick to rip into Cotchin about getting useless easy touches, why not Ablett? Loves the cheapies and has the all about me attitude which we have seen since he has been at the Suns. But everyone seems to love him because he won a Brownlow by getting cheap easy possessions and uses the word mate more in sentences than number of breaths he has per minute
Mate, he has the runs on the board mate

You think your rabble of a list, with no forward line and spuds like Frost in the backline is going to get you the w tomorrow?.
I'd much prefer goldcoast's list to Collingwoods, injuries to their better players have affected them. Whether someone other than Eade could do better, it's too early to say
Smash them please :)

Is it news to anyone that he's a poor captain?
Merely stating that people are quick to rip into the coach, he can only use the cattle he has to work with. So just sighting another avenue of possibility for discussion. And no of course the media are not going to tarnish a beloved son as a poor leader

Merely stating that people are quick to rip into the coach, he can only use the cattle he has to work with. So just sighting another avenue of possibility for discussion. And no of course the media are not going to tarnish a beloved son as a poor leader
It's a good discussion point. I wonder if it was an ill-advised decision to not back in one of the younger blokes as captain given they were a young team? Let a captain grow with the team, like Ward has with GWS (became co-captain at around 22 which seems the right balance)

Not sure on this, I'm dubious on Rocket and last nights performance was atrocious. Essendon with a far less talented team gave us a decent game before falling away, GC were competitive for about 10 minutes then gave up. The coach is meant to give them a structure and a plan and have them to play to that, and that didn't happen so concerning I would have thought.

But the coach has never had the full side to pick from, they have been decimated for two years with injury.

The contrast between GWS and GCS shows the importance of culture to a club, people bag Sheedy but he set them up with the right culture, aggression, competitiveness versus soft party boys.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Everyone was quick to rip into Cotchin about getting useless easy touches, why not Ablett? Loves the cheapies and has the all about me attitude which we have seen since he has been at the Suns. But everyone seems to love him because he won a Brownlow by getting cheap easy possessions and uses the word mate more in sentences than number of breaths he has per minute

I totally agree. I think the biggest error GC made was recruiting GAJ. Yes he is a super player, but definitely not a leader which is exactly what a new,young club needs. GAJ accumulated so many possessions simply because his teammates hand him the ball, when they are in a better position themselves. He should be encouraging them to use the pill rather than dishing it off to him at every opportunity.

The damage was done before Rocket arrived. We are injury prone to the extreme, probably the result of an unprofessional conditioning team for the first five years, and the belief that just getting games into the youngsters would guarantee success when all its really done is break them. We put too many eggs in the Gaz basket, and to a lesser extent with JOM and Jack Martin, the quality over quantity theory hasn't worked to date because we have been totally unable to field our best team for all but a brief period in 2014. Our two star young bulls of mids in JOM and Dave Swallow have been unable to get on the field for basically one and a half years. Take Selwood and Dangerfield out of Geelong for that period and see how they travel. Basically what could go wrong has gone wrong, a lot through what have been poor decisions in hindsight, but at the time were thought to be smart decisions. For example as it has turned out, Clayton has butchered the 2010 draft -

1. David Swallow - a gun and already a BnF but has been crueled by knee injuries due to having had to shoulder too heavy a load in the early years;
2. Harley Bennell - extremely talented but wayward off field - gone;
3. Sam Day - an honest trier but hasn't lived anyone near up to his pre-draft billing as the best young KPF that year;
5. Traded for Jared Brennan - now retired, say no more;
7. Josh Caddy - wanted out after just two seasons - gone;
9. Dixon Prestia - gun but injury problems of late;
10 Dan Gorringe - rated the best ruck of his draft year but in actual fact a dud - delisted;
11. Tom Lynch - Star
13. Seb Tape - injury prone, goer but can't kick for s**t, likely delisting candidate at the end of this year;
15. Traded to Geelong for god knows what.

I'm starting to believe there's something to this Gold Coast curse of sporting teams.

Well they have Melbourne next week at Metricon. Good luck tippers!
Melbourne by 25. I've been very impressed with the demons for most of this season, you've had two disappointing matches that will cost you. I expect you to bounce back, also the Gold Coast are decimated.

The damage was done before Rocket arrived. We are injury prone to the extreme, probably the result of an unprofessional conditioning team for the first five years, and the belief that just getting games into the youngsters would guarantee success when all its really done is break them. We put too many eggs in the Gaz basket, and to a lesser extent with JOM and Jack Martin, the quality over quantity theory hasn't worked to date because we have been totally unable to field our best team for all but a brief period in 2014. Our two star young bulls of mids in JOM and Dave Swallow have been unable to get on the field for basically one and a half years. Take Selwood and Dangerfield out of Geelong for that period and see how they travel. Basically what could go wrong has gone wrong, a lot through what have been poor decisions in hindsight, but at the time were thought to be smart decisions. For example as it has turned out, Clayton has butchered the 2010 draft -

1. David Swallow - a gun and already a BnF but has been crueled by knee injuries due to having had to shoulder too heavy a load in the early years;
2. Harley Bennell - extremely talented but wayward off field - gone;
3. Sam Day - an honest trier but hasn't lived anyone near up to his pre-draft billing as the best young KPF that year;
5. Traded for Jared Brennan - now retired, say no more;
7. Josh Caddy - wanted out after just two seasons - gone;
9. Dixon Prestia - gun but injury problems of late;
10 Dan Gorringe - rated the best ruck of his draft year but in actual fact a dud - delisted;
11. Tom Lynch - Star
13. Seb Tape - injury prone, goer but can't kick for s**t, likely delisting candidate at the end of this year;
15. Traded to Geelong for god knows what.

I'm starting to believe there's something to this Gold Coast curse of sporting teams.
That's really bleak reading. Obviously Lynch was a huge win at 11, while Swallow/Prestia would be stars if not for injuries. Day and Gorringe were massive busts imo, it's hard to believe they were picked that high. Bennell never should've been taken that high with his off field baggage, Jared Brennan for 5 is absurd.

That's really bleak reading. Obviously Lynch was a huge win at 11, while Swallow/Prestia would be stars if not for injuries. Day and Gorringe were massive busts imo, it's hard to believe they were picked that high. Bennell never should've been taken that high with his off field baggage, Jared Brennan for 5 is absurd.
Sure is bleak reading. Our draft selections since don't make much better. If we had of skipped on Harley at two you can bet he would have been gone by pick four - he was widely recognised as probably the best natural talent in that draft. Day was recognised as the best KPF that year. I remember Sheehan raving about him at the time. It's hard to develop as a KPF with our delivery or lack of it. Just shows how good Tom Lynch is to have raised his game despite woeful entry quality. Jarred Brennan was traded for five because we couldn't get anything better and needed some experienced support for the kids. At the time the choices made sense, looking back well hmmm.

You have to ask questions of a coach who has multiple high draft picks at his disposal and ends up playing Crazy Pubehead Jarryd Grant.

Not to mentioned players like Malceski who is in the retirement village stage of his career. He should be playing for Essendon.

I doubt this was the plan the AFL had by season 5 or whatever we're in for the GC.

Not all Eade's fault but you'd expect the team to be mostly made up of players who came through the draft not recycled drifters like Grant.

Their team is mostly made up of drafted players. You named 2 (and we can add Currie), so now 3 is "most of the team" is it? Good thought process there.

Half the draft picks he has are s**t anyway. Guys like Russell, Matera (17 yo priority picks), Tape, Day (draft picks) have been underwhelming, plus Swallow, Ablett, O'Meara, Prestia have all been heavily injury affected last 2 seasons. They've played about 30-40 games (estimate) out of the possible 112 since start of 2015.

Sure is bleak reading. Our draft selections since don't make much better. If we had of skipped on Harley at two you can bet he would have been gone by pick four - he was widely recognised as probably the best natural talent in that draft. Day was recognised as the best KPF that year. I remember Sheehan raving about him at the time. It's hard to develop as a KPF with our delivery or lack of it. Just shows how good Tom Lynch is to have raised his game despite woeful entry quality. Jarred Brennan was traded for five because we couldn't get anything better and needed some experienced support for the kids. At the time the choices made sense, looking back well hmmm.

Brennan for 5 never made sense. You could have gone an inside midfielder leadership type (think Daniel Cross - there are multiple of his type throughout the AFL) if you were that desperate for experience, not an average laidback inconsistent showpony.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back