Preview Round 10 Preview/Changes vs Sydney (#IndigenousRound) [Wells/Wright in for Ray/Mullett]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Higgans is being replaced by Brad McKenzie. He is playing a Wing/Forward role - Just like he did last week you numpties.
Yes, this is clearly the heatmap of a wing/forward. How silly of me.
File%2026-05-2016%2C%209%2010%2048%20PM.jpeg

Champion Data's pressure factor is not easily accessed unless you want to pay big bucks. However you can Google the definitions and sides with 183 pressure factor and above win around 85% of games. It includes all sorts of acts that disrupt opposition ball movement, not just tackling eg force a player to kick without steadying.

It's fair to say that Essendon in their last quarter against us were able to steady for every single disposal but not Carlton last week when Dumont headed our pressure acts with 25 and Nahas was 4th with 18. On the other hand Ray had 10 and Mullet just 6.

A lot of supporters are just not interested in pressure acts or the team's pressure factor and deride them. They judge players purely on how many times they get it and what they do with it, which is important no doubt but if you don't apply pressure at AFL level, you will get slaughtered no matter what. The same supporters are then furious when the opposition move the ball with ease up the ground and then usually blame the back line when a goal is kicked. So those supporters do actually care about pressure, but they rarely factor it in to their selection opinions.

As much as I don't really like the Herald Sun, they do include individual pressure acts in their stats. I've watched them closely each week and our players who score highly don't get dropped the following week. Disrupting an opposition possession is as important as having a clean one yourself. Our ability to bring that each week - and our team is apparently ranked elite in this area after 9 rounds, is what is unsettling the opposition and what the coaching staff are focusing on every week.

Wells was topping pressure acts with about 24 a week until he rested. It's not fashionable, alot of fans don't give a rat's about it, but it's the first thing I look at now. Being at the ground you get a good sense of who is applying it but definitely not on TV. Champion Data have 2 guys just doing pressure stats for each game - you cannot just ball watch to pick it up.

So anyway, not surprised Nahas held his spot.

This board manages to sook on really just about anything.

Wrights last quarter against the Dogs was exemplary. He'll be fine against a top 4 side. His intercept marking, particularly tomorrow will be vital. Even his ability to kick on both sides on a narrow ground. I like Mullet but hes limited and Sydney would have outed him as a weakness tomorrow night. Wright plays ahead of him every single day.

As for Wood. What space is he going to find amongst Dish, Waite and Brown? Sydney arent going tall in defence, and with wind and showers forecast it would have been a stupid decision to play him.
He can wait. Hell be back in soon.
Context people.

Then you would be wrong. The two games that McKenzie has played this season have been in the back half, taking our kickouts and setting up a lot of our play from half-back. We might have recruited him to play on the wing, but that's not where he has been playing this season and from all reports that's not where he has been playing in the VFL recently.

Again, it could be argued that they're competing for a position in the 22, but we would need to change our structure depending on which one gets picked because they are categorically not competing for the same role.

A lot of players do kick ins from time to time. Brad is not a long kick, but a super accurate kick, so certain plays from the kick-in are likely to suit him.

I guess my point is that they are competing for the spot that was originally held by Higgins. I wont disagree that brad would lean more defensively than wood, wood just hasn't spend any time training on the back flanks. But they are definitely playing for the same spot in the team.

What just baffles me is that the side that we had to beat the doggies was a very defensive structure, we still had enough weaponry to outscore, but not a super great deal.

It just doesn't make sense that we would need even more defensive mindset (and a small defender at that). Wood is a better player in general, and he provides a much better attacking wing, more along the lines of Higgins.

Them going a bit small with defenders means that they are looking to use speed to ensure they can rebound from defence. We need wings that are quick across the ground to defend that. Again, I think this would be something that wood would could if a wood chuc... sorry. something that wood would do better.

Wrights last quarter against the Dogs was exemplary. He'll be fine against a top 4 side. His intercept marking, particularly tomorrow will be vital. Even his ability to kick on both sides on a narrow ground. I like Mullet but hes limited and Sydney would have outed him as a weakness tomorrow night. Wright plays ahead of him every single day.

As for Wood. What space is he going to find amongst Dish, Waite and Brown? Sydney arent going tall in defence, and with wind and showers forecast it would have been a stupid decision to play him.
Context people.

/end thread

Let's just win, i don't care if it's by 1pt
Just beat these pricks.

Context people.
Yep yep and yep

Wells was topping pressure acts with about 24 a week until he rested. It's not fashionable, alot of fans don't give a rat's about it, but it's the first thing I look at now. Being at the ground you get a good sense of who is applying it but definitely not on TV. Champion Data have 2 guys just doing pressure stats for each game - you cannot just ball watch to pick it up.

100% agree with you on the value of this and yeah, it's not easy to notice on TV. It's the art of closing down space quickly when needed, holding off and creating turnovers when they have nothing on, setting up to stifle and counterattacking. No surprise on Wells either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wright doesn't play for 2 weeks straight back in.

Wood misses with concussion, then won't get to play this week because Werribee have the bye. Now he'll have to spend 3 weeks finding form and fitness with Werribee. awesome.
Wright is a proven performer in big matches and finals, plays a necessary defensive role, and is a big step up on his temporary replacement. Not sure what that has to do with whether the forward structure for Sydney at the SCG suits bringing in Wood. Actually, I am sure - nothing at all.

Context people.
Agreed that Wright is an automatic inclusion when fit and in form. However, I think it's a valid question to ask whether, after missing a number of weeks with injury, he should be brought straight back in for a game that will be extremely physical with heaps of pressure.

Structure? You guys clearly don't even understand our structure.

Let me walk it through for you lads, because for some reason you believe that suddenly we have replaced a forward with yet another back in this game.

I am taking the bulldogs match as a benchmark. This game was a feature because it ALREADY had an extra down back.

From that game our OUTS are
Turner - Forward
Jacobs - Midfielder/Tagger
Higgans - Wing/Forward

Turners direct replacement is Nahas - This is a tick, we just do not have any other small forward available.
Jacobs direct replacement is Dumont - Tick, clearly going for a runwith role and possibly going to remain in the side if he proves he can do it - good luck son

Higgans is being replaced by Brad McKenzie. He is playing a Wing/Forward role - Just like he did last week you numpties.

Hmm, let me see, what does mason play. Wing/Forward.

In masons last game, for a half of footy on the wing, Mason had 13d @ 76.9, 6m, and 1 goal. **** it, I'm gunna give him the last one. 2 goals.

Third tall. Bah. No clue.
Thanks Coach. Hang on a minute.... I just looked up the club website and didn't see your name on the coaching panel, so your lecturing is nothing but hot air posturing like everyone else in here.
Back in your box champ!

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

So I cant call someone a numpty after they call me an idiot? Seriously. I mean, now you are taking a swipe, and what - ordering me to leave? Comical.

Not ordering you to leave. But be a bit more civil. It's not a slanging match. There are more that agree with me than agree with you. We are all North supporters. Save your aggression for the opposition.

Not ordering you to leave. But be a bit more civil. It's not a slanging match. There are more that agree with me than agree with you. We are all North supporters. Save your aggression for the opposition.
Apart from not grasping our additional defensive structure change with replacing an a HF position with a HB position, there isn't anything I would change in what I've posted. Well... I could have a shorter fuse perhaps, and I could of held on to for a few more posts without biting.

I have no ill intent to anyone on this board, especially not another north fan. You can be guaranteed that you will see me on the banter fighting the 'good' fight soon enough - I'm working my way into it.

I dont care how many might 'agree' with you - I think its fair that if my very reasonable opinion post is attacked, that I can defend in kind. What I would care about is if you can show me where I have attacked without reason - I'm not an unreasonable man.

Champion Data's pressure factor is not easily accessed unless you want to pay big bucks. However you can Google the definitions and sides with 183 pressure factor and above win around 85% of games. It includes all sorts of acts that disrupt opposition ball movement, not just tackling eg force a player to kick without steadying.

It's fair to say that Essendon in their last quarter against us were able to steady for every single disposal but not Carlton last week when Dumont headed our pressure acts with 25 and Nahas was 4th with 18. On the other hand Ray had 10 and Mullet just 6.

A lot of supporters are just not interested in pressure acts or the team's pressure factor and deride them. They judge players purely on how many times they get it and what they do with it, which is important no doubt but if you don't apply pressure at AFL level, you will get slaughtered no matter what. The same supporters are then furious when the opposition move the ball with ease up the ground and then usually blame the back line when a goal is kicked. So those supporters do actually care about pressure, but they rarely factor it in to their selection opinions.

As much as I don't really like the Herald Sun, they do include individual pressure acts in their stats. I've watched them closely each week and our players who score highly don't get dropped the following week. Disrupting an opposition possession is as important as having a clean one yourself. Our ability to bring that each week - and our team is apparently ranked elite in this area after 9 rounds, is what is unsettling the opposition and what the coaching staff are focusing on every week.

Agree, even aggressive manning of the mark can pay dividends, i remember Luke causing a Bluebagger into a hurried kick that went straight out on the full by doing just that.

Pro stats is a lot cheaper. Doesnt have pressure acts, but has a few nice things around workrate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back