Meltdown AFC West - Round Table of the Astute and Erudite ©

Remove this Banner Ad

Derek Carr second half of the season:

176/300 - 58.67%, 1893 yds, 13 TDs, 9 INTs.

The Raiders went 3-5 in spite of their defense only giving up 315.75 yds a game in that stretch, which would be the 4th (!) best defense if compared with the rest of the league over the entire season.

On offense they only average 18.25ppg (5th worse in league over course of season), and 292.38yds per game (worst in the league). Both extremely poor.

Raiders are gonna be in struggle street this season

In isolation, it's a concern. But look at the full picture:
In the second half of the season, their O-Line was decimated. C Rodney Hudson had a 4 week stretch where he missed 3 games and was taken out early in another. Left tackle Donald Penn played the entire second half of the season with a severely fvcked up shoulder. Right tackle Austin Howard missed the final 3 games of the season resulting in a 4th round rookie project starting at right guard, whilst J'Marcus Webb shifted to the right tackle position. These changes in the line really screwed up the run game.

And that's before you even consider the fact that Amari Cooper injured his foot in week 8 of the season, and by the final few games, he was merely on the field just to be a decoy.

Also, consider that of those 9 INTs, 3 were in one horrendous 4th quarter. Looking at the rest of the stats from Carr, they're relatively in line with the first half of his season.

You bring up some pretty impressive defensive stats from last season, and that was without both Bruce Irvin and Sean Smith, along with 3 early draft picks (Karl Joseph, Jihad Ward and Shilique Calhoun) who will all get significant time on the field. If the D improves, Carr isn't really going to have to do a whole lot to make the team competitive, not that I see it being a problem anyway.

In isolation, it's a concern. But look at the full picture:
In the second half of the season, their O-Line was decimated. C Rodney Hudson had a 4 week stretch where he missed 3 games and was taken out early in another. Left tackle Donald Penn played the entire second half of the season with a severely fvcked up shoulder. Right tackle Austin Howard missed the final 3 games of the season resulting in a 4th round rookie project starting at right guard, whilst J'Marcus Webb shifted to the right tackle position. These changes in the line really screwed up the run game.

And that's before you even consider the fact that Amari Cooper injured his foot in week 8 of the season, and by the final few games, he was merely on the field just to be a decoy.

Also, consider that of those 9 INTs, 3 were in one horrendous 4th quarter. Looking at the rest of the stats from Carr, they're relatively in line with the first half of his season.

You bring up some pretty impressive defensive stats from last season, and that was without both Bruce Irvin and Sean Smith, along with 3 early draft picks (Karl Joseph, Jihad Ward and Shilique Calhoun) who will all get significant time on the field. If the D improves, Carr isn't really going to have to do a whole lot to make the team competitive, not that I see it being a problem anyway.
Woohoo, thanks for that....deal back on TheGreatBarryB :)

Quote GG.exe:

"If Jamarcus Russell is the anti-thesis, Tebow is the thesis.

Everyone's got opinions on Tebow. Imo, a sure-fire NFL franchise QB. He will end up the best of this draft class.

Mechanics can be learned. When you start a new job, you're taught something new. Not like you CAN'T learn. Mountain made out of a molehill of Tebow's mechanics.

All in the mindset. A student of the game, a natural born leader. You cannot teach HOW to play Quarterback.

I hope Al Davis drafts Tebow #8 overall."

At least for once he was right

Who knew?

original.jpg

You don't see any rabidly famous people getting into the Broncos, sporting their gear....and they've been a perennial playoff team. Just too bland an organization.
There are plenty of celebrity bronco fans

The Broncos merchandise isn't to be worn by celebrities because the purpose of the franchise is to win football games, not be a fashion icon

There are plenty of celebrity bronco fans

The Broncos merchandise isn't to be worn by celebrities because the purpose of the franchise is to win football games, not be a fashion icon

All franchises share the same purpose. Just the Broncos fail to illicit a sense of style, and icon-status, in culture per se.

It's a shame that it was ME who had to find this instead of one of you Bronco, Chief, Charger fans.

Is that Mick Jagger under that bag? Or is it Ice Cube?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

LicoriceAllsorts

you seem to looking up some random stats... Can you please look up the last time the Broncos drafted a decent QB?? And no, I dob't deem Cutler to be a decent QB.

Its Lolway's dirty little secret, he's not the great GM some would make you believe.

He picks apart free agency well, other than that, he's very very ordinary.

Lol, you expect him to put drafting a good QB as a priority whilst his team had the GOAT QB at the helm...? :tearsofjoy:

As i edited above, good at picking apart free agency, drafting though, very average. You know its true LA.

Its Lolway's dirty little secret, he's not the great GM some would make you believe.

He picks apart free agency well, other than that, he's very very ordinary.
Btw if you so wish I'll compile a list of all the studs Elway has drafted in his short time after the footy

Btw if you so wish I'll compile a list of all the studs Elway has drafted in his short time after the footy

Please be sure to include all his picks. There are a shitload of misses.

Pro Bowl QB isn't decent?

There is something missing in Jay Cutler's DNA, he would have been the same QB had he stayed in Denver. Its like winning isnt that important to him.

Von Miller
Orlando Franklin
Julius Thomas
Derek Wolfe
Malik Jackson
Danny Trevathan
Brock Osweiler

2013 was poor, but Sly Williams is a starter

Bradley Roby
Shane Ray

A bit hard to determine how some of the players from 2014 and 2015 will turn out. But plenty of talent and potential to look at in those drafts for Denver

Jeff Heuerman
Ty Sambrailo
Max Garcia
Paxton Lynch
Devontae Booker
Justin Simmons
Adam Gotsis

That's without looking at undrafted free agents, which are basically draft picks if you being them in as a rookie

i.e.

C.J. Anderson
Shaq Barrett

I mean, if you're bringing in 2-3 starter to star quality players each year as rookies alone, you're doing pretty ******* well.

That's not to mention other players who play a big role in depth and even starting in their own right, Virgil Green, Cody Latimer, Ronnie Hillman

Undeniably one of the elite GMs in the league

Last edited:
"Malik Jackson and Danny Trevathan were the weakest part of our D" - LicoriceAllsorts. Sometime last week.

"Brock Osweiler is terrible"
- LicoriceAllsorts. About 3 months ago

:sweatsmile::sweatsmile::sweatsmile:

Times, they are a changin'.... What was meh is now a good draft pick. :D:thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back