News Collingwood Players Playing for their Careers

Remove this Banner Ad

The article in question is from The Age if anyone wants to check it out I'm not sure how to upload it here sorry.

The article in question is from The Age if anyone wants to check it out I'm not sure how to upload it here sorry.
You just copy and paste it. Like this:

Some Collingwood players will be playing for their careers over the final five rounds of the season, according to coach Nathan Buckley.

The Magpies officially had a line put through their finals hopes last weekend when they lost to North Melbourne.

Advertisement
It was yet another poor result in a disappointing campaign which has seen Collingwood win only seven of 17 matches following a pre-season full of much hype and hope.

For the first time since 2001, Collingwood will miss the finals for a third year in a row and the "reality" of that situation means players will be "penalised" for wrong behaviours.

1469682243987.jpg

Coach Nathan Buckley says some of the Pies are playing for their careers. Photo: Getty Images
"That's the reality. They're really playing for their next evolution every week, they're training for it every day, we're professional athletes so you're rewarded for the right behaviours and penalised for the wrong," Buckley said at the Glasshouse on Thursday.

"If you've got the right process and the right attitude you're invariably going to head in the right direction.

"I'd love to be three or four or five wins better off and to be talking about posturing for finals but that's not where we are. We haven't got our head in the sand."

Buckley admitted this season had been frustrating given the Magpies had shown glimpses of their full capabilities at stages – especially in wins against premiership contenders Geelong and GWS in Sydney.

However, he lamented the fact that his side had been plagued by inconsistency throughout 2016.

"I think that we've shown our game stacks up when we put it together and that's regardless of personnel but I think what we've also shown is that we're not a good enough team yet to do it consistently," he said.

Buckley conceded there was a danger that his players' output might drop off given they are now out of finals calculations but he didn't expect that to happen.

The Collingwood coach said he intended to pick his best side every week based on form rather than trial fringe players who haven't earned a game.

"We want to win as many games as we can in the run home. That's pretty much our philosophy," he said.

Buckley confirmed Travis Cloke would retain his place in the side to face West Coast at the MCG on Saturday, despite a quiet game against the Kangaroos, but Ben Sinclair will sit out the Eagles clash due to his fourth concussion of the season, suffered last round.

However, despite his worryingly regular incidence of head knocks, Sinclair would not be ruled out from play again this year.

"He loves his footy, he wants to continue but his health and wellbeing will be an absolute priority as we would see with any concussion or head trauma – let alone any trauma around the rest of the body," Buckley said.

"He's still keen to play later in the year and we'll make that judgment call when we get there."

Buckley held out hope that Dane Swan had not played his last AFL game and felt it would be a shame if his career ended this way.

The 2011 Brownlow medallist suffered a season-ending foot/leg injury in round one and Buckley said the ball was in Swan's court about playing on in 2017.

"'Swanny' is still going through a few things and some of that is with the medicos to know exactly how his foot's going to respond," Buckley said.

"He's weight-bearing a little bit now and every day that goes by, he's learning about what his foot is going to do.

"There are steel and pins that are still in his foot that don't come out until October so there's still plenty of water to go under the bridge."

Mean by the paper to put a big photo of Jesse White there!

Players whose status at the club are genuinely up in the air or already done at this point (in my view):
Cloke
White
Macaffer
Broomhead
Williams
Oxley
Gault
Goldsack
Toovey
Witts

Depends how many will need to be and how many will be cut at years end.
Rough guess I got look like this:

Retire: Macaffer and Toovey
Off list: Goodyear, Golds, Gault, (Wyatt though as Cat B not sure how the rule apply)
Trade table: quite a few of the middle Rangers (depends who wants whom)

I don't think Brown is up in the air anymore. He's been good since he came back to the AFL. Clearly better than Frost (which I didn't think until his recent form).

A lot of blokes would be vying with each other to retain their spots on the list or face the chop:

Swan,
Cloke,
Caff,
Sack,
Toovey,
White,
Broomhead,
Oxley
Gault,
Golds,
Goodyear,
Wyatt,
Sincalir

are all facing uncertainty to different degrees over their positions at Collingwood next year.

Players whose status at the club are genuinely up in the air or already done at this point (in my view):
Cloke
White
Macaffer
Broomhead
Williams
Oxley
Gault
Goldsack
Toovey
Witts
White and Williams (unless he wants out) are pretty safe imo. Agree with the rest although will very unhappy if Broomhead is not on the list next season.

Cloke
White
Macaffer
Broomhead
Williams
Oxley
Gault
Goldsack
Toovey
Witts
White is outscoring Cloke this season. And that with one game in the backline and the ruck duties in his other games.
Don't see why he should be playing for his career.
Goldsack another pet player of mine. Honest soldier but with mature head. Great example for the youngsters.
Caff , the VFL wouldn't be the same without him.
Williams, rotten season with his injury. Needs to have a snickers and think about his own game, not the opponent.
Witts. Can't see him wanting to stay but if he would like to, keep him. Until opposition clubs throw in a Godfather offer.

Agree with the other half.

I don't think Brown is up in the air anymore. He's been good since he came back to the AFL. Clearly better than Frost (which I didn't think until his recent form).

But NO new contract

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes but there been no News and we are coming up to Finals Month of the Regular Season
if l remember right that late last year there was a few that had contracts but they were not announced but we found out when the lists were finalised

if l remember right that late last year there was a few that had contracts but they were not announced but we found out when the lists were finalised

True but they where Non-Best 22 Players where Brown is Best 22 and in the Leadership Group. Plus a RFA so you would think they would Announce it

True but they where Non-Best 22 Players where Brown is Best 22 and in the Leadership Group. Plus a RFA so you would think they would Announce it
you are properly right

White is outscoring Cloke this season. And that with one game in the backline and the ruck duties in his other games.
Don't see why he should be playing for his career.

Agree with the other half.

Round 19 and he hasn't got another contract for next year yet. :rolleyes:

That's kind of like advocating for a man as he is a slightly better bloke than Hitler.
Being better than Cloke this year is no great achievement.
White is a spud, imo.
Don't get the Uncle Adolf reference but I already stated that White is not someone who takes us to the next level. But
I rather keep the cheap reliable spud that can be used in many dishes then the overpriced one who crumbles when overcooked.
Round 19 and he hasn't got another contract for next year yet. :rolleyes:
And ? I am surprised ( and with me many others, although not pleasantly ) he is even mentioned in the seniors for a weeks in a row now . I doubt that at the start of the season he was in the clubs 2017 plans . If he stays, they leave it to the last minute due to other trades( Cloke , Witts , Gault ). Doesn't mean I do agree with it based upon his current output.

And ? I am surprised ( and with me many others, although not pleasantly ) he is even mentioned in the seniors for a weeks in a row now . I doubt that at the start of the season he was in the clubs 2017 plans . If he stays, they leave it to the last minute due to other trades( Cloke , Witts , Gault ). Doesn't mean I do agree with it based upon his current output.

PicaBoo, White is an average player at best. Yes he has been serviceable this year but that's because he knows he may be on the dole line next year.

I have said it before I will say it again we will not win a Premiership with him in our team.

Just my opinion and nothing personal because he has been ok this year so kudos to him.

PicaBoo, White is an average player at best. Yes he has been serviceable this year but that's because he knows he may be on the dole line next year.

I have said it before I will say it again we will not win a Premiership with him in our best 22.

Just my opinion and nothing personal because he has been ok this year so kudos to him.
I don't agree with the motivation behind his performance this year. He is playing as good ( or as bad ) as last year but this year he is not in our worst and we got others players to complain about :)

A small EFA and I think we have consensus on that segment of final prospects.
A good stop gap measure imho as backup/
Imagine if we let White go , Cloke and Witts go for greener pastures? Cox Moore Gault in the fwd line as our talls? Grundy gets injured. Cox rucking all by himself and have a fwd line of Gault and Moore? Spare me the thought.
White can go but we need a new tall in his place that can ruck. And to be honest, that should be the LEAST of our trade worries. Keep what we got, even if it is not that good but a small crumber please!! And we might even make White look good with a crumber enjoying his tap work .

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back