Nic Naitanui urges public to ‘grow together’ after mother paints son’s skin for Book Week parade

Remove this Banner Ad

I have no idea what you are talking about and not sure I want to know. Did you even learn about that stuff in school?

Well blackbirding is an offensive term.
So naitnui playing for a team with a bird as the mascot is offensive.

The worlds gone mad

It's a stuffed place we live in in this day and age, god help the future generations.

Reckon Australia is such a diverse place in terms of its population and culture now that it's impossible to form a consensus on a lot of things. Which, I agree, is dangerous. There isn't much that unites us these days.

Reckon Australia is such a diverse place in terms of its population now that it's impossible to get a consensus on a lot of things. Which, I agree, is dangerous. There isn't much that unites us these days.

It's impossible to Unite everyone and get them on the same page therefor we will keep going around in circles.

If people are offended then fine. But it doesn't mean people who dress up have to stop painting themselves black to impersonate a black person. As long they are not making fun of black people and are genuinely dressing up as someone they admire then there is no issue it. I get offended at people who continually want to shout their outrage to the world and think their opinion is so important that action must be taken. However I don't expect my opinion to impact the lives of others.

If you can honestly say this kid is being racist then you have very deep issues. No way in the world he is being racist but merely dressing up as his hero. People have agenda's and want to tell the world they are outraged at such an action. If your offended, so what? It means you have a differing opinion, but it doesn't mean you have the right to tell everyone they are wrong and it must be done your way.

Im sure there are Jews out there who hear someone put on a fake german accent and get offended at reminding them of such horrific past. Doesn't mean we cant mimic the german accent. There are people out there who go dressed up as preists and yet no-one complains about the poor defenceless kids who were traumatised by priests who are more than likely highly offended by anyone who dresses up as a priest.

Get over yourselves, it is not racists to dress up as a black person if your are honouring them. And the argument that if someone takes it as being racists then it is racists is a bullshit argument.

Reckon Australia is such a diverse place in terms of its population now that it's impossible to form a consensus on a lot of things. Which, I agree, is dangerous. There isn't much that unites us these days.

There is one positive out of the lack of unitedness (if that's even a word) and that is the fact that discourse and discussion isn't just an echochamber where everyone agrees with everybody. Life would be pretty boring if we all agreed.

Because blackface was historically used to demean and stereotype black people and resulted in the continuing proliferation of racist attitudes and perceptions; attitudes which still exist. Blackface still causes offense today and for that reason, should not be done.
Naitanui said himself that he wasn't offended by people dressing up like him until someone told him he should be. To whom is it actually causing offence?

And one final question to ponder- what if he went as a ginger that he idolises?

Martians will be offended by this
wed8.jpg

Red-heads by this

292745-geelong-mad-monday-gallery-portrait-366x488-.jpg

Werewolves by this

838109-matthew-scarlett.jpg

Zombies will be offended by this

GEELONG_CATS_MAD_MONDAY-391702_648x365_17407969-hero.jpg

Geelong footy club is in strife

My favourite part(apart from the obvious wine before 12pm) is when she said that no one would know who we was if she didn't paint him black.
If i saw a child wearing a west coast jumper with 9 on the back, shorts and boots with a black moppy wig, i would hope i'd be able to guess they were dressing up as Nic Nat.

My favourite part(apart from the obvious wine before 12pm) is when she said that no one would know who we was if she didn't paint him black.
If i saw a child wearing a west coast jumper with 9 on the back, shorts and boots with a black moppy wig, i would hope i'd be able to guess they were dressing up as Nic Nat.
Why is black hair ok but not black skin?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Naitanui said himself that he wasn't offended by people dressing up like him until someone told him he should be. To whom is it actually causing offence?
Go read up on a few other incidents of blackface in this country in recent times and you'll see who is offended.

Liz Cambage, for one, didn't take too kindly to seeing her Opels teammates don blackface.

I think the way things are going, at some point in the future things such as "blackface" will be declared an offence. The media and education system already lean heavily to the political left, not to mention the loudest and shrillest of the activists.

Victorian primary school students should be spared political lectures in classroom
Complaining about the media leaning heavily to the left and then linking to the something written in the herald sun by noted scrote tom elliot to back your opinion up

yeah, alright

Go read up on a few other incidents of blackface in this country in recent times and you'll see who is offended.

Liz Cambage, for one, didn't take too kindly to seeing her Opels teammates don blackface.

She is another that is easily outraged. And chose social media for her outrage, rather than actually speaking with her teammates.

What if a north supporter wanted to dress up as majak daw because he is their favourite player? Apart from the number on the back how else could you look like him and not look like you were there as brent harvey or jack zeibel?

Complaining about the media leaning heavily to the left and then linking to the something written in the herald sun by noted scrote tom elliot to back your opinion up

yeah, alright

I've cited surveys elsewhere which clearly show the preponderance of Left-leaning journo's in Australian media. But go ahead and rant.

Next you lot will want people above a certain age banned from voting so you can get the outcomes you want.

well how is anyone going to know who he is without the black hair??!!
Isn't the black dreadlocked hair something that identifies him as belonging to a race, therefore racist?

Not mention the cultural appropriation. Although Naitanui is Fijian descent and dreadlocks are rastafarian, so maybe he is the real culturally insensitive person in all this.

And instead of speaking to her teammate to discuss the issue she ran to twitter to publicly humiliate her instead

What if a north supporter wanted to dress up as majak daw because he is their favourite player? Apart from the number on the back how else could you look like him and not look like you were there as brent harvey or jack zeibel?
The number usually gives it away

The fact that Fremantle council has cancelled its annual Australia Day fireworks display because it is culturally insensitive to celebrate on January 26 says it all.

I am abhorred by racism but that is political correctness gone stark raving mad.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back